Help choose a Dodge

I expect to take some heat for this on this forum, however I have to base my opinion on my own experiences.

Do yourself a huge favor and put your money on a Toyota or Honda.  As Scotty would say "Chryslers are endless money pits" and based on my experience I have to agree.

Three of my Honda's have cost me a fraction of the maintenance that my Dodge as cost me, and I bought the thing brand new and it came direct from the factory with my name on the window sticker, no other drivers or even test drivers beyond the 12 km used in transporting the thing on/off the truck/train.

I've learned my lesson and rather spend more upfront on a reliable Toyota or Honda and have a solid vehicle for 10+ years than save on the purchase only to be spending through the nose on constant repairs.

To put it in context I have a 2003 CRV with 381000+ km, 2004 CRV with 235000+ km and 2006 civic with 130000+ km.  All only ever needing regular maintenance such as brakes and oil changes. (Thats approx. 746000 km without much worry or hassle)

My 2012 DJ R/T , on top of brakes and tires and other scheduled maintenance has needed a new cam shaft, lifters, viscous coupler, wheel hub, thermostat, blend door actuator, blue tooth unit, battery, rad fan, replacement of lock lug nuts because the lock key split in half due to dealer putting them on with their impact power tools and the factory tire wrench warpping because the lug nuts were put on so tight from dealer, and two lug nuts (so far) that have stripped their cheap chrome caps even after I put them on myself according to torque spec.  This DJ has now 206000+ km but problems started as early as 80,000 km.

I'm honestly at the point where I am giving this thing away to a family member that is in desperate need of a vehicle and I am washing my hands of it.  They have full disclosure of the history and are ok with it considering the vehicle is free for them :)   I suspect I'll still be pulled into working on it for them, but at least the worry and cost won't be mine and I'll keep driving my old Honda's worry free.

Bottom line: I feel betrayed by Fiat/Dodge and can't recommend them based on my experience.  If you do get one, keep it under warranty and dump it as soon as warranty is over.  Thats my honest opinion. 

tried to find the article  but havent found it yet, did find one about 2021 models that the v6 would be available only to awd  journeys from what it read.i was thinking they want the journey to fade away and use the 3.6 engines for the new models coming out i guess....i also just read that GM is bringing back their 3 cyl  engine as well

Edited by 2late4u

sorry for the poster that had problems with his 2012 journey altho that is some high mileage even for a 2012. i had a 2011 and traded it in with 70 k with no problems except with the smaller size brakes on it and the dealership took care of that, have had my 2014 and got 98 k on it now and had a oil sender unit went bad was covered under my max warranty at around 45 k and then had to pay for one wheel sensor that went out on it as the repair cost was under the ded on my warranty.some do have problems with their journey from what iv read but from my own experience they have been one of the most reliable cars iv owned in a long time.all vechiles have their own problems just look at the different ato blogs on the internet

8 hours ago, 2late4u said:

sorry for the poster that had problems with his 2012 journey altho that is some high mileage even for a 2012. i had a 2011 and traded it in with 70 k with no problems except with the smaller size brakes on it and the dealership took care of that, have had my 2014 and got 98 k on it now and had a oil sender unit went bad was covered under my max warranty at around 45 k and then had to pay for one wheel sensor that went out on it as the repair cost was under the ded on my warranty.some do have problems with their journey from what iv read but from my own experience they have been one of the most reliable cars iv owned in a long time.all vechiles have their own problems just look at the different ato blogs on the internet

206000 km (128000 miles) is not that high of mileage for a chain engine.  Part of the reason I gave it a shot. Also keep in mind my issues started as early as 80000 km (50000 miles) and major issues around 140000 km (87000 miles)

In my mind DJ stands for Dodge Junk now, especially when compared to the longevity I've received from my current and past Honda's for example.

Like I said before, enjoy the DJ while under warranty but ditch it before it's done to save on the headache it's guaranteed to cause. I prefer to keep cars long term so the quality of Chrysler has proven not meet my expectations. There is a reason they have such low resale value.

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid the Dodge Journey....even if it's given to you...!!!!

I've been a faithful Chrysler owner for decades.  Always had good luck with them....until now.

It's poorly designed and will cost you big bucks to repair their mistakes.

Poor design number 1 - First, look for the battery.   It's in a nearly impossible location to remove and replace.  HINT: It's hidden next the front wheel..!!

Poor design number 2 - Then, there's the wiring harness between the rear hatch and the main body.  Wires are fed through a flexible 'hose' located in a spot that gets a lot of flexing from frequent opening and closing the hatch.  This eventually causes the wires inside to break and you lose your hatch lights.  Get familiar with how to use a soldering iron to fix the broken wires.  I never had this problem with any of my Chrysler mini-vans.

And I saved the best for last.....

Poor design number 3 - Changing from the old, familiar canister oil filter to a cartridge type which is mounted ABOVE the engine in an 'Oil Filter/Oil Cooler' assembly.

Both coolant and oil pass through this thing and it eventually leaks from the O-rings and can only be repaired by removing the entire top of the engine to get to it.

It cost me over $800 last week to have it replaced with a new one.  Do a search on YouTube for several videos showing what's involved.

Naturally both the Factory and Extended Warranty had expired.  So with only 77K on it, it's time for a Honda or Toyota.  No more Chrysler products...!!!

image.jpeg.0a773a10ce18a473d85ffdda09f82329.jpeg