2011 Journey Wiper problems

Hello everyone...

Been a long time since i posted in here. The Journey has treated us well. We bought it new in 2012. The wife doesn't drive it much. Its only got 63000 km on it new.

The last yr we have spent some money on it...regular things that go eventually but this one is baffling and angers me. I have had dodges all my life and this is the first time i have ever had an issue with wipers. When its cold out (0 to -5 or colder) they just wont turn on in any speed. You can here a slight thump from the front when you do turn them on and it does it the first two times you turn the wipers on. Then no thump at all and still no wipers. The fluid squirts with no issues.

If we warm the truck up for 20 min or more...they work with no problem...all speeds! I don't get it. Its not the relays as i have swapped them for new ones from the dealer. Anyone else have this issue before?

no problems with either of both my 2011 70 k  or the replacement 2014 84 k, sounds like it might be a motor problem since it doesn't want to work when cold but warms up a bit then works or could be bushings in the motor, about the only thing i could think it could be.. good luck   P.S. the fluid works off a different pump or motor

Try a little de-icer or oil on the moving part of the wiper motor.  Maybe it is as simple as moisture freezing the motor in place.  I tried to look at my DJ, but I can't really see where the motor is because it's under the cowl.  I think it's the center (passenger) wiper.  Dunno.  Something to try.  This problem may take some diagnosis in cold weather by unhooking the wiper assembly to see if the cold motor turns or if something in the assembly is the problem.  Good luck.  

Peace. 

13 hours ago, redtomatoman said:

Try a little de-icer or oil on the moving part of the wiper motor.  Maybe it is as simple as moisture freezing the motor in place.  I tried to look at my DJ, but I can't really see where the motor is because it's under the cowl.  I think it's the center (passenger) wiper.  Dunno.  Something to try.  This problem may take some diagnosis in cold weather by unhooking the wiper assembly to see if the cold motor turns or if something in the assembly is the problem.  Good luck.  

Peace. 

good idea redtomatoman, didnt see he was from Canada possible could be froze up a bit, wonder when this was happening was it extremely cold or just a normal temp if that makes any sense...lol

Wasnt able to locate the wiper motor visually yesterday so im assuming its inside the cover somewhere below the windsheild. I did notice it was wet inside the cover. Wouldnt think it should be so starting to wonder if some weather stripping or something is gone. The wife did have her front windsheild replaced last yr. Planning on taking the bottom part off today to see if i can see anything. its -8C thismorning so will see if she goes.

Well rather surprised thismorning to find them working at -8C

Couldnt locate the wiper motor yesterday. It was warm with drizzle and now everything is frozen. I did locate the wiper linkages below the blades where the joints pivot. I sprayed both wipers in 2 or 3 different spots on the pivot points with lock deicer while they were moving. I let them run for 20 min with the truck running in the driveway on high and then shut it all down.

So will see what happens over the coming days and go from there i guess. I will post an update at the end of the week.

Thanks for everyones input. Much appreciated.

My 2012 has sat outside for 4 yrs now, no issues. The thought of freezing then letting the area warm up from the motor for it to work makes sense. Then you mentioned windshield replacement and this now occurring. I think your thought of possible water now leaking into an area it has not before makes sense. Is there a drain in the area that may now be plugged ? I know sometimes debris gets in that trough, maybe water is pooling now ? Then is freezes stopping the wipers operation until the motor can thaw the area ? 

We haven't had an issue for the last 8 days until today. They seem to be stuck again. Im at work so cant check them but my wife is going to spray some deicer where i sprayed a week ago to see if that makes a difference in a few min. We had a bunch of rain the other day and now its back down below freezing so its definitely a water issue i would think.

Will have to check on it when i get back home later to check the drain and see what we can figure out.

3 minutes ago, OhareFred said:

Spray some WD40 on the same points.  The lock decider is removing all the lubrications from those areas.  Lock decider is usually high in alcohol....

have never used it on wiper joints, but i use a white silicone lubricants spray on my door hinges and hoods and such

• 1 month later...

check to see if at the wiper motor you are getting juice to it when trying the different speeds, probally  your switch or the motor itself, if no voltage at the lower settings id say its your switch, if getting power on all settings then i would assume its the motor

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Welcome to the site. People seem to never post back their final solution for fix.

Confirm there is 12 volts at plug leading to motor when it’s not working.  If 12 volts at high speed, unbolt motor and try moving linkages with it removed, should move easily. If not, free up linkage assembly or replace it.

Might be a partly plugged drain in cowl assembly allowing moisture to build up and freeze the linkages. Hair dryer to melt and dry things out. Clean out the drain port at the same time.