Knocking sound from rocking steering wheel left to right

SylvainB

Hello, 

As the title mentionned, I want to know if your DJs are doing a "knocking" sound when idling and rocking the steering Wheel left to right. Mine is knocking and want to know if it's normal or not.

Also can be releated but when doing sharp turn you can hear slight knocking sound from left side.

What has been replaced yet : 

Front Shock Strut

Ball Joint

Sway bar Link

Both sides.

Tie rods are 2 years old.

This summer was planning on replacing lower control arms but wondering if I'm having bad CV Axles

CV joints DONT make a noise when still still only when making a turn.if your noise is when you are sitting still but turning the wheel then it is something else. you mention tie rods 2 yrs old but what about the inner tie rods and a lot of other parts could be making the  noise, any garage or tire shop would be able to pin point the  problem for free hoping you let them do the work, take it to 2 -3 places and see what you find out.could even be slop in the steering gear since you didnt state yr of your journey and mileage on it....i actually had a truck making a noise similar like that after i was hit head on, and what it was that dodge had used huge rivets to hold the frame together and during the crash that one of the front ones loosened up enough to let the frame flex when under pressure from turning the wheels,they drilled it out and put in a large bolt never had no more problems from that....

Thank you, my dodge is on my profile, mine is a 2011 with 146000km on it. I know they're a lot of parts still to be replaced that can cause that kind of knocking. I replaced all the rear end, well mostly now I'm attacking the front end. I can still feel it "foat" when the shock is not absorbing. When I replaced the "Shocks" I only replaced the strut and not the strut mout like I did in th rear fault of money, was going for a long trip which cost a lot of money so was trying to a have a peace mind since my truck wasn't quite ready to tow 2000lbs in the shape it was before. I still managed to get back but broke the flexplate.

I'll have it checked since you guys don't have that knocking sound. I ask him to check it when he replaced the right ball joint but I guess he forgot. My car still have a warranty on it, it does not cover all parts but lots of them. I want to keep it for at least 3 years if possible .... lol

• 1 year later...

Not to resurrect an old thread, just trying to add to the knowledge base. My 2017 AWD developed the same exact noise while slightly moving the steering wheel back and forth. Dealer determined that the power steering assembly (rack and pinion?) needs to be replaced. Haven't got the details yet, just over the phone conversation with service scheduler. The vehicle only has 26k miles on it! My wife drives it like an old lady. This is frustrating. Good thing is, it's still under warranty. Will provide more info, once I find out more.

So, just got the Journey back today. Apparently, the dealer could not find any issues with CV joints or any other steering components, besides Rack and Pinion. The unit was making internal noise while the the steering wheel was being moved left to right. The Rack and Pinion swap with cradle and wheel alignment took about 4 hours. I was charged $370 for both cradle adjustment and front and rear alignment check/adjustment. No more noise and the steering feels smooth and a little tighter. I am happy that it happened while covered by factory warranty. Still no regrets for buying it, would like to keep it that way for a while. :)

• Official Dodge Support
12 hours ago, HOB88 said:

So, just got the Journey back today. Apparently, the dealer could not find any issues with CV joints or any other steering components, besides Rack and Pinion. The unit was making internal noise while the the steering wheel was being moved left to right. The Rack and Pinion swap with cradle and wheel alignment took about 4 hours. I was charged $370 for both cradle adjustment and front and rear alignment check/adjustment. No more noise and the steering feels smooth and a little tighter. I am happy that it happened while covered by factory warranty. Still no regrets for buying it, would like to keep it that way for a while. :)

Hi HOB88, We're happy to hear that your concern has been resolved by the dealer.  Should this or any other concerns return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Rob
DodgeCares

20 hours ago, HOB88 said:

Quick question, if it’s under factory warranty why were you charged anything?

They told me, warranty only covers parts that fail and the labor to replace them. So, in other words, they would swap the rack and pinion and put everything back together under warranty. Everything else, including adjusting the cradle and doing the alignment would be extra, since that is considered service (?)

Doesn't seem right to me either...

Maybe Rob @DodgeCares could shed some light on it.

Edited by HOB88

That doesn’t sound right.  Any needed “adjustments” (alignments,etc) that are required after a warranty repair is covered under the warranty. It might be different in Canada.  If your not in Canada it’s time to start complaining.  If you paid by credit card contest the charge.  Contact FCA and file a complaint.  PM dodgecares

Edited by OhareFred

i dont know if replacing the rack and pinon would require a alignment? but since they replaced the tie rods i would say yes there is a need for the alignment...that said had the journey hit anything that would have caused the need for the cradle to be adjusted ?..the  reason i ask is my daughter use to use a minn van on her mail route and she hit a concrete block that messed up the alignment and most places couldn't fix it for her till we found one that they had to adjust the cradle and also had to use a bigger blot of one of the camber spots worked fine after they worked on it, also they didnt even charge extra for doing all that but they did gain a new loyal customer after that, and  i also told them that as well,they just laughed and said WE take care of our customer thats why we are here.....

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

i dont know if replacing the rack and pinon would require a alignment? but since they replaced the tie rods i would say yes there is a need for the alignment...that said had the journey hit anything that would have caused the need for the cradle to be adjusted ?..

There were no issues with the cradle. No But, they had to move it out of the way to replace the Rack and Pinion. So, after that was done, the cradle adjustment was needed.