New brakes make grinding noise

Dtlantzy

I recently installed new front rotors and pads on my '12 SXT and now I hear a grinding noise. it only happens when i put maybe 30-50% pressure on the brake pedal, and only when I get under 25 mph or so until i completely stop. The rotors are completely smooth and I have no idea why it could be grinding with brand new pads/rotors. It's definitely coming from the front, so if anyone has any ideas, please share. 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, JerSmitty said:

Hey Dtlantzy, 

Did you ever figure this out? My fronts are doing the same thing. They were fine for the first few months but then started with a grinding sound. They passed inspection though so the brakes and rotors themselves are good as they’re only about 6 months old. 

Thanks!

As stated above, pull the wheels off and inspect everything. You have the vehicle with you. 

my dodge truck would sometimes make a grinding noise if i was stopped and barley let off the brake pedal just enough to creep forward and they would make that grinding noise and would drive my wife crazy telling me to stop doing that....i loved it hmm wonder if thats why iv been married three times, oh well i digress. any ways i pulled my wheels and checked the pads and rotors never found nothing wrong so wasn't worried about them of the noise....loved making that noises.

Just a thought as I did this ( dumb ass ), are the little metal clips on backwards ? Sorry for being vague,  I installed mine backwards and a little nipple type thing sticking out would rub on the rotor.  Once I switched them around noise went away. Now have a very fine line on one rotor where clip was just touching.

Edited by probak118

UPDATE: I spoke with my uncle who used to work on brakes, and he said it is most likely just the quality of brake pads. If they aren't OEM, they're probably garbage. I guess I'll try replacing them again with something of better quality and see what happens. 

I've used Wagner ThermoQuiet pads on multiple other vehicles and never had an issue with this kind of noise right out of the box.  Sure, I get that after sitting for a day or two with rain, but who doesn't?

If you're going to replace the pads with a different brand, re-do the entire job (aside from the rotors).  That includes cleaning and re-lubricating the slide pins.