How often to wash?

Cbbroo

I just signed up for a monthly unlimited wash plan at a local car wash.  It’s right around the corner from the house so I can easily get a wash daily.  How much is too much? Will I damage the pain if I get it washed too frequently? Should I get it washed weekly or am I safe getting it washed more often?

• 3 months later...

If I chose to buy a wash plan, I'd make sure the facilities are to my liking, meaning minimal risk of scratching. (There's a place near my work that uses vehicle-contacting blower ducts to dry. I'm not going there ever again for fear of scratches)

I know a guy who has the Meijer (Walmart-esq Supermarket chain) unlimited wash card. He washed is car every other day... and when it snowed, he'd just scrape the front window then he'd run the car through the wash to de-ice the rest on the way in to work.

As far as me? I'd wash it probably every three or four days. One personal feeling I have towards any monthly paid service: If i'm paying for it, I'll utilize the crap out of it! 

As was mentioned by NavalLacrosse, scratching is the main concern.  Another concern is the frequency and potency of detergents that your paint will be exposed to.   Even if you wash weekly,  that's 52 washes a year.  That's a lot!  Monthly washes should be sufficient,  imo.  If you're concerned about salt, get an undercarriage wash every few days, a monthly wash, and call it good.  I'd up the waxing schedule to every 2 months if you are constantly washing the car in this program.   

Peace.

• 8 months later...

I am really conflicted on this topic. I used to run the old DJ through the car wash, no problem. When I got it from my wife, she had run it through the car wash a bajillion times so it had a ton of swirl marks and tiny scratches. Since trading it for a new DJ, I want to start off right and not get into bad habits, sooo...I have washed it by hand since getting it, but that sucks since I don't own a power washer, which means going to the self serve car wash. That isn't an issue, it's the inserting damned quarters every time I want to rinse off the soap. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

(#first world problems)

I'm not worried about the brush composition, but more how much dirt the brushes hold from wash to wash. That is where the swirl marks come from, the contaminants trapped in the brush, then those same dirty brushes being used to "clean" the next vehicle. How often they clean these brushes is also a major factor.

Edited by km-04