Lots of heat driver side, cold air on passenger side

ponyman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2010 with the same issue. I had the heater core flushed and the blend doors replaced in the heater box. There is now NO heat at all. The actual temps have been 0-10 degrees with windchills up to -25. Needless to say, I am nearly frozen during my daily commute to/from work. I am a single mom of 3 who purchased this SUV from a reputable dealer. It is not covered by warranty and I don't have another $1,700 to have the mechanic tear the dashboard out again. The parts were not that expensive, but it is the labor to remove the dashboard to get to the heater core that made this an expensive repair. I have given up on this car. 

1 hour ago, S.ford said:

I have a 2010 with the same issue. I had the heater core flushed and the blend doors replaced in the heater box. There is now NO heat at all. The actual temps have been 0-10 degrees with windchills up to -25. Needless to say, I am nearly frozen during my daily commute to/from work. I am a single mom of 3 who purchased this SUV from a reputable dealer. It is not covered by warranty and I don't have another $1,700 to have the mechanic tear the dashboard out again. The parts were not that expensive, but it is the labor to remove the dashboard to get to the heater core that made this an expensive repair. I have given up on this car. 

no need to remove the dash to get to the heater core  check out you tube videos and our forum it was discussed here quit thoroughly less than a couple of weeks ago...

2 hours ago, S.ford said:

Take it back and have them do the job correctly.  Did they flush the heater core or replace it?  Did you check your fluid level, is it full?  What does the temp gauge say, is it in the normal range or low?  It could be your thermostat.  Cars need to be maintained and even then things brake or wear out.  The cars 8 years old, gotta expect things to go wrong.

2009 Journey 125,00 miles on it and it was doing the same thing last winter.  Never said anything to the dealer about it last year during oil changes.  Decided to do something this year so I am now getting a new heater core.  Most of the money is in taking the dashboard out to replace it.  Since I'm planning on keeping the vehicle another five years at least, it's a good investment.  It will become my husband's vehicle fall of 2018 and I'll be getting a new Journey.  :)  I'm happy with my Journey and glad that I decided to get it rather than any of the other crossovers I had on my spreadsheet comparison.  

OhareFred,

Our local dealer states that the dash must come apart IF the heater core needs to be replaced.  I am not sure where you get your information from, but the dealer will not

fix the issue without removing the dash.  It appears that the issue as described above can be a result of one of the following:

1.  Clogged up heater core

2.  Blend door not functioning

Our local dealer indicated that flushing the heater core probably will not result in a reliable fix for the heat issue and replacing the unit would be a better option.

Comments?

Jim 

I would say, yes. The dealer will take the most time consuming, difficult road in order to charge you more money.  The dealer is not the be all, end all when it comes to vehicle repairs. There are plenty of do-it-yourselfers who figure out how to do things on their own without taking the dealers word as gospel. 

17 hours ago, Jim007 said:

OhareFred,

Our local dealer states that the dash must come apart IF the heater core needs to be replaced.  I am not sure where you get your information from, but the dealer will not

fix the issue without removing the dash.  It appears that the issue as described above can be a result of one of the following:

1.  Clogged up heater core

2.  Blend door not functioning

Our local dealer indicated that flushing the heater core probably will not result in a reliable fix for the heat issue and replacing the unit would be a better option.

Comments?

Jim 

i just typed in 2009 journey heater core replacement and it showed several videos on on to replace your heater core on a 2009 3.5 engine check them out and find a different mech to do it other then the dealership....

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

i just typed in 2009 journey heater core replacement and it showed several videos on on to replace your heater core on a 2009 3.5 engine check them out and find a different mech to do it other then the dealership....

Thats is where I got my information from.  Common problem that has been discussed many times here.  A couple of UTube videos showing great short cuts without removing the dash.  You don’t HAVE to take it to the dealer.  If your handy you can do it yourself, or find a local mechanic that will do it.  Good luck!

• 3 years later...

The way to solve heat on driver none on passenger is to JACK UP FRONT END. (driver side) Take the cap off your coolant reservoir and start the car and turn heat on full blast. Due to design flaw the coolant lines wont let air out and your coolant reservoir will bubble unless front end is lifted. In the dodge mechanics guide the first step says hoist front end up. I did this one time in my 3.6 2012 sxt and had A warm drive during Michigan winter. 

• 2 weeks later...

my 2015 had cold drivers side hot on passengers.I pulled the glove box to inspect. the passenger actuator was not moving.I noticed the brownish lithium grease was quite hard and stickie so i shot it with pb. I changed the cabin filter while i was down there and started the car it started working all fine and dandy i just had the pb aroma to take in for a few days.I guess maybe me neglecting to change the cabin filter for 70k may have had it not pulling well and i guess it could have effected the actuator without any strong air current, a stretch but maybe, been fine for 2 months now.