Misfireon cylinder one

Denise

http://www.obdii.com/articles/Diagnosing_Misfires.html

Compression/leak down test should have been done before you started changing computers.  How about checking for the condition of the spark plug in cylinder 1?  Changing it without knowing why it is misfiring does you no good.  Was it worn with typical wear characteristics, or did it have other failure signs?  Did it appear similar to the other 3 plugs?  How about oil mixing with coolant or vice versa?

Changing the coils shouldn't be a troubleshooting step on this engine unless you have moved them to another cylinder first.  The beauty of how these are designed is such that you can swap the coil packs from one cylinder to another and see if you can trace the problem.  Given that it's not an interference engine (the valves do not take up space where the pistons will soon be) and you're not having a timing issue, moving this around to isolate the problem won't likely cause any additional substantial problems.  Just don't drive across town with it like that.

Did anyone bother to check the electrical continuity of the wiring harness for your #1 cylinder?  If it's a bad cable, none of what you have done will matter.  If the coil pack fails on cylinder 1, but works on cylinder 2, and cylinder 2 coil pack works on 2, but fails on 1, then it's most likely a wiring problem.

Hopefully you followed the proper re-learn procedure for the PCM.  This basically means have a mechanic perform the task - I doubt you have access to the correct tools yourself.

Hey thanks for the response. Well initially the spark plugs was do for changing, in addition to the coils due to the boots being brittal and breaking by just touching then. I went a step further and replaced the injector just in case it was clogged. 

Upon the replacement of the following parts it was noted I still had a misfire that remained only on cylinder one, despite we switch around all coils and the misfire remained on cylinderone. 

The mechanic went a step further and unplugged the injector on one and install a light that blink indicated that the injector was receiving power while in park, but as soon as vehicle was put in drive and the power was discontinued and the light stop. Once engine  was shut down and restarted, we found ourselves back to the same process of working again with no misfire then to shut down once in drive.  

The pcm was suggested to replace because it was assumed that the message was sent to that injector to shutdown. However after replacing the pcm, it did not fix problem which now has me on this forum with questions. Please provide any suggestions.

Thanks,

Denise

Misfire only on cylinder one even with moving known good parts around?

Did your mechanic perform a compression test?  It doesn't sound like an electrical problem, otherwise it would happen at idle.  I don't have enough of a background in engine repair to suggest anything more than that.

• 1 month later...

Been having a problem with my 2014 Journey with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine. Check engine light came on, I plugged in my OBDII scanner and it came up with a P0302 code, Cylinder #2 Misfire. I made an appointment with the dealership and last week and they finally got back to me. He informed me that the camshaft and lifters needed to be replaced. One of the guys here at my work told me his son works as a mechanic for Dodge and he said he's been seeing that quite a bit. Luckily my powertrain warranty was still active and everything is covered. Get to pick up my mom van later today. Initially I thought the problem might've been similar to a recall for the 2011-2013 Journeys where the head was replaced on the engine but supposedly the number that's cast into the heads on the engine said otherwise. Hopefully this helps others out there. I was also in contact with the FCA due to this issue and maybe if this is an inherent problem that an investigation will start and (fingers crossed) there will possibly be a recall sometime down the road. Good luck everyone!!!

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2017 at 2:13 PM, VinnyL said:

Been having a problem with my 2014 Journey with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine. Check engine light came on, I plugged in my OBDII scanner and it came up with a P0302 code, Cylinder #2 Misfire. I made an appointment with the dealership and last week and they finally got back to me. He informed me that the camshaft and lifters needed to be replaced. One of the guys here at my work told me his son works as a mechanic for Dodge and he said he's been seeing that quite a bit. Luckily my powertrain warranty was still active and everything is covered. Get to pick up my mom van later today. Initially I thought the problem might've been similar to a recall for the 2011-2013 Journeys where the head was replaced on the engine but supposedly the number that's cast into the heads on the engine said otherwise. Hopefully this helps others out there. I was also in contact with the FCA due to this issue and maybe if this is an inherent problem that an investigation will start and (fingers crossed) there will possibly be a recall sometime down the road. Good luck everyone!!!

I had the same problem and fix for a P0306 code last fall with my 2012 3.6.  I was hoping it would fall under the TSB but a compression test from the dealership revealed I needed a new camshaft and lifters on front bank.  I was also due for plug replacement so that was done at the same time

This week I'm hit with a P0305 code and I'm worried I'm gonna need the same level of repairs on the back bank.  Last time it cost me $500 CAD just for diagnosis from the dealership.  I like to avoid that cost again if possible.  Not sure why they had to do two separate diagnosis last time, I was told it was due to the TSB and it not falling under that issue.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/25/2017 at 4:33 PM, bfurth said:

Misfire only on cylinder one even with moving known good parts around?

Did your mechanic perform a compression test?  It doesn't sound like an electrical problem, otherwise it would happen at idle.  I don't have enough of a background in engine repair to suggest anything more than that.

She said that the coils HAD been moved around, so it HAS to be either A) Compression issue; B) Rapid plug fouling, which could also be a rings issue; or C) (my fav) a wiring issue to injector 1. From what I read up there, her mechanic put a NOID light on inj1 and it DIED on acceleration. I'm wondering if any of the other injectors exhibit that behavior. I bet not. Also, with over 50 years of mechanicing behind me, I never cease to be amazed at how many electrical issues are eventually traced to a loose or dirty GROUND wire somewhere. Even AZT the PCM.

2 hours ago, Bluesy said:

She said that the coils HAD been moved around, so it HAS to be either A) Compression issue; B) Rapid plug fouling, which could also be a rings issue; or C) (my fav) a wiring issue to injector 1. From what I read up there, her mechanic put a NOID light on inj1 and it DIED on acceleration. I'm wondering if any of the other injectors exhibit that behavior. I bet not. Also, with over 50 years of mechanicing behind me, I never cease to be amazed at how many electrical issues are eventually traced to a loose or dirty GROUND wire somewhere. Even AZT the PCM.

i agree to the bad wire or ground causing so many problems