P2302 & P0300 Codes

tipplerty

Hi Everyone,

I own a 2009 Dodge Journey 2.4L.  My check engine light came on about a week ago and after a couple days it started flashing and the engine throttle down (barely do 40-50km/h).  I was close to home so I limped it back home.

I had a friend come over with a code reader and it was giving us random misfire codes and crankshaft position sensor codes. 

So I bought a new crankshaft position sensor and replaced it.  When starting the vehicle the check engine light was still on, the engine seemed to start normally and then after about 30-60 seconds the check engine light would start flashing again and the engine would throttle down and start shaking.

While the engine was shaking we pulled the wires from each coil pack one by one with the following results:

(Right to Left)

Coil Pack 4 - Engine would die out

Coil Pack 3 - Engine would die out

Coil Pack 2 - Engine would die out

Coil Pack 1 - No change - engine still running

We assumed that Coil Pack 1 was the problem, so I bought a new one and replaced it.  After replacing, still have the same issue.  Did not have the code reader at this time, so we figured that maybe the codes needed to be deleted and that may solve the issue.

Had my friend with the code reader over today and checked the codes before deleting them and only got 2:

P0300 - Random Misfire Detected

P2302 - Ignition Coil "A" Secondary Circuit

We deleted the codes and the issue still remains.  Start engine, check engine light is on, after 30-60 seconds it starts flashing and then the engine throttles down and starts shaking.  (Appears to be running fine when first starting)

Got to thinking and tried the following:

While engine is throttled down/shaking, pulled wires on Coil Pack 1 and same as before, No change - engine still running, so I thought hmmmmm guess the coil pack may not have been the issue cause its still doing the same thing.

So I got to thinking, i'm gonna try this when I first start the engine and it's running properly before being throttled/shaking.  So when I pull the wire from coil pack 1 right after starting, the engine dies out.

So it seems that the coil pack is working or receiving power before the engine light starts flashing but does not seem to be receiving power after because when I pull the wire after, it has no effect on the throttled/shaking engine.

So I am at a loss now as to what to try.  Any ideas?  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by tipplerty
added make

check all the wiring going to that coil pack and inside the connectors to see if there is a short or bad wire somewhere that is what happened yrs ago to my daughters van they kept replacing the coils till one of the mechs caught it the connector where they plug together was shorting out sometimes it would run good for a week and then go bad they replace the connector and that fixed the problem

On 10/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, 2late4u said:

check all the wiring going to that coil pack and inside the connectors to see if there is a short or bad wire somewhere that is what happened yrs ago to my daughters van they kept replacing the coils till one of the mechs caught it the connector where they plug together was shorting out sometimes it would run good for a week and then go bad they replace the connector and that fixed the problem

Checked all the wiring and seems to be good.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, dchavez6586 said:

Hi good afternoon, did you ever figure out the issue?. I have a 2009 journey and it's doing the exact same thing. Thanks

no update from the org poster, to bad as then no help for other people with the same problem, when you figure it out pleas re-post here for others ....good luck

Hi All!

Sorry I did not update this when I resolved the issue.  I totally forgot!

I took it into a mechanic and it turned out to be the wrong spark plugs!!

I had the spark plugs changed almost a year before the problems occurred and the person that changed them, used the wrong ones.  The spark plug gap was bigger and the ground electrode (ground wire) was actually arcing on the piston and didn't cause issues until much later.

I suggest you triple check them and make sure they are the correct ones.