$80 oil change?

Journey//

So my 2014 Journey Limited is in need of an oil change and the dealership wants $80 for a full synthetic. Is this right? The most I've ever paid for a full synthetic oil change was $50, and that was on a 5.7 hemi! The process on the Journey isn't even that complicated, its that all my tools are in storage.

Just do it yourself for around $25-30

Journey is the easiest vehicle i have ever done an oil change on. Filter at front straight up and down, dont even need a jack, just a single wrench for the drain pan. If filter was installed correctly and not over tightened it will come off by hand. takes 10 minutes to change oil.

Pennzoil Platinum can be obtained for $23/5 quarts (WalMart current price, Amazon is usually right there with them).  Ultra Platinum (when it isn't made of Unobtanium) is only $2-$3 more.

Throw in a good filter (for my 2.4L, I'm using a Purolator Boss at $12 - don't judge me, I only do this once a year!) and you're under $35 for the best recommended oil for the engine you can get.  Get a floor jack and some stands (about $100) and a torque wrench ($40-$as much as you want) and you can do a properly spec'd tire rotation.  Sure, the first one will cost you a little more than a dealer ($140), but your highest cost oil change for as long as you want is about $30-$40.

It also eliminates the time needed to drive your vehicle to a dealer or oil change shop (20 minutes), wait a half hour, then drive back (total time wasted is more than one hour).  Versus get your vehicle warm, drain hot oil until it stops dripping (while you rotate tires, and/or have a beer - not recommended for the first DIY oil change...), then pour in better than what they'll use for less cost.  Maybe you lose 20 minutes when you dispose of the old oil (or you can store it until you have your next dump run - I'm sure most municipality waste acceptance facilities take used oil).  And now you know it was done right and your drain bolt isn't going to be stripped out from having it installed with an impact wrench.

• 3 weeks later...