poor mileage

dajourneybegins

Can't say that's the norm but these seem to be a little thirsty in town but highway mileage should be better. I recently got a v6 crossroads and and I'm seeing 16-18 in town and I recently took a trip and got a solid 26mpg one way and 25 on the way back. I did 500 miles on a single tank so I was pretty pleased with that. I'd just make sure the motor is maintained properly so it returns the best possible mpg.

Edited by Steven Harshbarger

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Ram,  they are 6 or 8 speed auto tranny and cylinder deactivation on the hemi.

Journey is a 4 speed moving maybe 3-4 hundred pounds less weight. Sits high up like most suv pushing wind as well.

You said 10, I assume 10 litres per 100 kilometres. So 2.645 US gallons per 62.14 miles or 23.49 MPG per US gallon. Sounds close to normal on crappy regular grade Canadian summer gas with 87 octane and probably still some ethanol content.

The 2.4 often have cheap copper core spark plugs from factory, check them and use double platinum NGK plugs instead. 

Edited by John/Horace

11 hours ago, John/Horace said:

I have a Ram,  they are 6 or 8 speed auto tranny and cylinder deactivation on the hemi.

Journey is a 4 speed moving maybe 3-4 hundred pounds less weight. Sits high up like most suv pushing wind as well.

You said 10, I assume 10 litres per 100 kilometres. So 2.645 US gallons per 62.14 miles or 23.49 MPG per US gallon. Sounds close to normal on crappy regular grade Canadian summer gas with 87 octane and probably still some ethanol content.

The 2.4 often have cheap copper core spark plugs from factory, check them and use double platinum NGK plugs instead. 

I would not recommend changing the plugs from copper core on the 2.4. The 2.4 does not like anything else. 

Edited by jkeaton

My daughter in law's 2.4 has cheap  iredium plugs, Denso I believe, for last 3 years, approx 60k kilometres. Haven't noticed any issues. What is supposed to happen??? All the coils are even still original at 125k kms. 

Edited by John/Horace

On 7/27/2022 at 6:48 PM, SRfR said:

AVGing 10.6 mpg in the suburbs back and worth to work about an 1 drive on non-hwy streets.

AWD 3.6 with rebuilt trans and rear diff.

YUP, I'd believe those figures if NON highway (55mph) driving. constant up down speeds and braking, idling at stop signs/lights will show horrible mileage. Not many vehicles can deliver higher mileage unless you have one with a tiny motor and only FWD econobox, NOT a heavy vehicle like a DJ. I'm out in country road driving and very little "stop and go" type driving and we average 22mpg even with the a/c going. on BOTH our '11 and '14 3.6 AWD's