Engine dummy light

could be something simple or something major . being Easter I doubt a parts store would be open where you could scan for codes. you might think about hitting Walmart as they are everywhere and always open and see if they have a cheap scanner you can buy to check codes with.

that's what I would do ...

I think if the dummy light is flashing then it means it's serious do not drive

Yes, what I was told by the dealer as well... "the lights on solid? It's OK to drive, but get bring it in so we can check it. The light is flashing? We'll send a tow truck for it."

Now, having said that, some code readers are pretty cheap in price, and it might be worth the peace of mind it would give you to know for sure..

It just came on solid. Stayed on from LA to Flagstaff. Stayed on for two gas stops in-between. Disappeared in Flagstaff. Don't think it was the gas cap. I plan to have it checked tomorrow along with an oil change, etc... Thanks to all for the responses. I'll update if/when I know the code.

Hi

Peace.

My 09 did that to me once on a road trip. Light came on, stayed on for a few hours and two gas stops, then went away never to return. Nothing was stored either. I found a code reader for $17.00 from an on line one saje a day site. Ordered it, thing works great! Plain english read out and can clear codes too. Best $17 Ive spent on this car! Of course, now that I have it no light will ever come on! Lol

Could have been just the change in altitude. If you filled up in a low altitude area, the air pressure would be the same inside and outside the tank. As you climbed uphill, the pressure inside the tank would gradually increase, compared to the outside air pressure. The pressure difference could have caused the light to come on.

Edited by dhh3

The dealer found a misfire in cylinder 4. It is yet to be determined if it is an ignition or fuel misfire. I did notice a small hiccup on the tach at idle after the light came on. Before it was rock solid without any hiccup. No symptoms at higher RPMs. I hope it's just a plug or coil. Should have my diagnosis tomorrow.

Peace.

They are replacing my left cylinder head. Code was PO304, misfire on cylinder 4. Both the compression and leak down tests were abnormal around cylinders 4 and 2. They also found oil in my intake manifold. I have not heard a determination as to why oil was there. I had my cam phaser replaced in 2012. Btw, I'm not sure how that may or may not be related to the cylinder head issue. It was a PO302 code that tipped them off to the cam phaser issue. I have to trust my service center. I hope they don't Jack this up.

Peace.

So compression testing showed 120 on all cylinders except #4 which was at 85 psi. #4 is certainly abnormal, but I am concerned the 120 may be too low as well. Leak down testing was 15% on cylinders 1 3 5 6. It was 25% on cylinder #4 and 90% on cylinder #2. I am concerned about the 15% leak down result on the "normal" cylinders.

Comments please.

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...