First, this is my first posting, so I'm just learning how to do it. Had this post nearly done when I hit some sort of key and it all want away. Perhaps I published it by accident (I hope not). So, I'm going to try to do it all over again -- right this time.

I just completed having my 120,000 mi scheduled maintenance items done on my '09 Journey R/T. In my owner's manual, that's the last (highest mileage) maintenance requirement listed. Does anyone know where I can find out what are the official Chrysler recommended / required maintenance items beyond 120,000 mi?

I'm particularly interested because when I bought my Journey new, Chrysler was offering a lifetime powertrain warranty as a sales incentive. I plan to drive this car for a half million miles or more since the powertrain is guaranteed for as long as I own the car. SOOOO, I have been VERY careful to do all required maintenance items on the powertrain and to ensure I have good documentation. I plan to continue that practice, but I don't know what is required. I have made a guess of what the requirements are based mainly on just repeating the maintenance items for the first 120,000 miles, to comu up with the requirements for the second 120,000 miles. I've attached that guess in a PDF file. 09 Dodge extended maint schedule.pdf

I've asked at a local dealer and was just told that if I'd bring my car in, they'd do what needed to be done. But they wouldn't tell me what the maintenance schedule was.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has as to where I can find the official maintenance recommendations beyond the 120,000 mile point.

Regards, Patrick -- phhill3

Ditto. I have been very careful to complete the scheduled maintenance and have the dealership complete the maintenance records. I hope to go lots of miles on my extended warranty. I plan to look at the pattern of previous requirements and repeat. Hell, if dodge hasn't come up with a schedule, how can they complain about us duplicating the first 120K? Best of luck to you.

Make sure you have someone do the Timing Belt replacement if not already done as it's an interference engine

Also have the water pump and tensioner done at the same time

Great advise. My manual goes to 152K. At 120K, there is a recommendation for changing the accessory belt(s). Not sure if that includes the timing belt, but I will insist that it does when I get there.

Peace.

Great advise. My manual goes to 152K. At 120K, there is a recommendation for changing the accessory belt(s). Not sure if that includes the timing belt, but I will insist that it does when I get there.

Peace.

Accessory belt is different than the timing belt but it is best to do them all at once.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi Patrick,

The official recommendation from the brand team for required maintenance is to follow the schedule shown on pages 481-482 of the Owner's Manual. I have screenshots attached below.

post-4071-0-85163300-1453913141_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-13197100-1453913152_thumb.jp

I would assume you keep following the same pattern of maintenance until you stop driving it. The 3.5L engine definitely needs the timing belt changed by 102k - it is not something to leave alone. If you're at 120k and didn't change it yet, you are on borrowed time. Get it done, ASAP, or you risk catastrophic failure of your engine. If that timing belt snaps, you may end up needing a new engine. Very bad things will happen, very quickly, if that belt snaps.

The labor required to change the water pump is only a few more steps with the timing belt change, so it saves time and money in the long run to do them at the same time, even if the water pump has been fine up to that point. There is nothing worse than spending time (or money) on a job, only to have something else fail that involves spending the same time or money all over again.

The major maintenance items include*:

oil/filter (this interval should be obvious)

spark plugs (every 100k miles - platinum plugs, as are used on the 3.5L and the 3.6L last 100k miles, age is not so important as engine run time/ignition cycles)

timing belt (approximately every 100k miles) - this one is imperative

coolant (every 100k miles, if you've done the job correctly, otherwise get a test kit and replace when it no longer shows adequate protection)

engine air filter (replace as needed based on filter condition - usually every 2-3 years, depending on level of dirt/dust you drive through)

brake pads/rotors (inspect at every tire rotation, replace as needed)

suspension components (same as brakes)

transmission fluid (drain and fill/filter change every 60k or 120k, depending on usage)

PCV valve replacement (100k)

accessory drive belt (serpentine belt) (replace every 120k, but check periodically and replace when worn)

Other than locks, hinges, and routine light inspections, there really isn't much else to look for. Sure, you can exchange power steering fluid every once in a while (no maintenance interval is set for that in any owner's manual I've ever seen), brake fluid exchanges (eventually, it will absorb too much moisture and need to be changed - no system is perfect), and other things will break on you as the vehicle ages. Cars are not as complicated as people make them out to be.

*Some of these numbers were pulled from the 2015 maintenance schedule, but the timeline is similar to the 2009 engines. Coolant for a 2009 is different than that of a 2015 (different formula), so change yours every 5 years (or 100k miles, whichever is first).

I would use the previous 120000 mile service intervals as a guide. In other words, pretend like you are at zero miles as far as the recommended services.

Yes, I'd done that already. That was the Word doc I attached to my original post. I just wanted to see whether anyone had an official answer to this question. Patrick