Third Row Seats

redtomatoman

Would it be possible to easily retrofit the third row of seats to convert a three row DJ into a two row DJ? I never use the third row of seats. It has always bothered my that I am constantly lugging around the weight of those seats. If I could easily convert my 7 passenger DJ to a 5 passenger DJ with a purchase of parts, I would certainly consider that. I don't want to lose any rear compartment space. I've never seen a 5 passenger DJ, but I think they have extra storage space where the seats are positioned. Am I right? If anyone could post a diagram of the parts that would replace the seats, that would be great.

I'm not sure how much those seats weigh vs the replacement parts, but potentially getting rid of significant dead weight may be an efficiency and performance upgrade.

Peace.

Im not sure the cost would out-weigh any benifits. The seats dont weigh that much, and you basically have to rebuild the back end, but anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. I don't know first hand how much is involved, but it seems to me not to be worth the effort. I have the third row seats and used them about half a dozen times since 09, but I just keep them down. If nothing else, the third row may increase your trade in value. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful than I was, good luck!

The 2 row version does have a lot more floor storage... I have thought about this too, but mostly because I have NEVER used the third row and would love the extra storage. I think you can just replace the floor, though the 2 row does have the option for a cargo cover. In order to get the cover I believe you would need to replace the side panels in the rear as well.

It could probably be done without tooooo much trouble. The seats and belts would have to come out, as would the left and right side trim panels and the tray under the cargo deck.

You could probably get the right parts (the trim, the cargo tray the cargo carpet (the part that sticks forward to cover the space behind the 2nd row seats and the cover) and the deck from a scrap yard for not too much money. There might be some other bits and pieces, but they could be taken from the donor vehicle - you'd be able to tell when you get to it to strip out the parts.

All I know is that you can fit a blow up mattress in the back of you let the second row seats down. It makes for a fine shag mobile.

;)

I stopped reading when you said "you can fit a blow up" I was expecting an X-Rated comment lol.

Edited by rolly