Clear coat overspray from body shop

bfurth

So I just got my DJ back from the body shop after a 2 week mess from getting hit in a three car collision. I noticed last night that there was paint overspray on the driver window. Took it back to the body shop this morning and they came out with steel wool to clean it off - it was the lower front corner, and it would never have affected visibility, so I'm not overly concerned with steel wool having been used there.

The problem is the clear coat overspray on the windshield. I'm not willing to let them put anything abrasive near it. So, I need a good clay bar option for removing it. The clear coat was baked on at 180 (according to the shop owner) for a few hours, but it's still not fully cured (needs 30 days). It's a very fine mist all across the entire windshield (and inevitably the rest of the car I'm sure).

Any specific recommendations, or will any old clay bar do?

For the windows I always use a razor blade, held at 45deg angle or so. Just scrape all along every window. It doesn't scratch at all...like steel wool might.

For paint, I would use any old claybar and get to work...I use meguiars. But, I would let the new paint/clear coat cure for a few weeks before claybaring.

For the windows I always use a razor blade, held at 45deg angle or so. Just scrape all along every window. It doesn't scratch at all...like steel wool might.

For paint, I would use any old claybar and get to work...I use meguiars. But, I would let the new paint/clear coat cure for a few weeks before claybaring.

I was planning on doing the body panels early next month.

At least clearcoat is not the polyurethane I got all over my T&C :lol:

Paint thinner works just as well. I had overspray on my Sebring. I tried the razor blade, tried clay bar, tried rubbing compound...nothing got rid of it completely. Finally I got some paint thinner and wiped it off.

Any special precautions for that, or just apply to rag, tape off the panels around the windshield, and wipe gently?

actually i use double 00 or 000 steel wool on my windshield once to twice a yr it will not hurt or scratch the glass and it removes all the road chemicals and imperfections on top of the glass. smooth as babies but after its done

Fortunately, no chemicals were needed. A quick swipe with a clay bar and the windshield is back to being silent when the wiper blades run over it (dry - and only done once to test for how clean I had gotten the windshield).

This is now two issues I've fixed (only the first for my Journey) with nothing more than wax and "detailing spray." Seriously - how did I not know of the usefulness of this stuff until last year?

I love the detailing spray. Use it every wash.

I used what was left in the bottle (the clay kit I had was what was left over from removing polyurethane from the windshield of my T&C) to clean up some water spots after the windshield was clean. And then used it to clean the door jambs, and what looks like adhesive residue on the chrome lettering on the back from whatever had been taped on to protect it from the first paint work that had to be done. Early next month (once the front body work paint is cured), the whole thing is getting clayed and waxed (got Maguiar's sitting at home waiting to get opened for those jobs). In the mean time, weekly washing.

I love how polished it looks right now. I washed/waxed the T&C yesterday, and looking at either of them, you can see the reflection of itself in the reflection of the other vehicle on the body of the first one (T&C in reflection of Journey on T&C or Journey in reflection of T&C on Journey). It's a pretty cool effect.

I love how polished it looks right now. I washed/waxed the T&C yesterday, and looking at either of them, you can see the reflection of itself in the reflection of the other vehicle on the body of the first one (T&C in reflection of Journey on T&C or Journey in reflection of T&C on Journey). It's a pretty cool effect.

Here's my 300M as seen off of the driver's side of the Journey:

journey12_zps8a37e7e7.jpg

You could use Acetone, but make sure you are outside. You will get high as a kite from the fumes: you will completely forget what you are even doing!

+1 on the acetone. I've used it to remove sticker residue from paint with no harm, so glass should be fine.