Rear Wiper Madness

Not sure where to post this but since it's attached to a window I chose this one. I will try to keep it brief but it's such an odd situation it may take a bit to explain.

Last week I noticed that my wiper would occasionally stop while driving. After that when I turned the switch to off it would stop wherever it was instead of returning to the "home" position.

Since then it's behaviour grown stranger.

I will summarize where we are at now:

Wiper runs constantly (with switch in off position) if vehicle is in reverse. If you shift to N, D etc the wiper stops wherever it is in its cycle

Turning the switch to on also stops the wiper wherever it is in its cycle

If you unlock car with the fob or via the key free door handle touch, the wiper motor hums and the wiper "hops" up a 1/4" at a time but does not move smoothly on its own (during this time you can freely move it through it's cycle with light pressure, but the tail lights dim while doing so)

I am at a loss. The only changes that I made to the vehicle recently was to install a small fire extinguisher about a month ago on the third row armrest just behind the cup holder. i couldnt figure out how to remove the panel but could flex the plastic down freely and didn't think any wires ran that close to the surface. Does the wiper motor wire run throught here? I know it enters the rear door at the top left?

Any ideas? I have an appt with the dealer in a few days but thought I would put it out to the forum to see what you guys think.

Edited by lytefall

The cables to the rear are generally close to the body (shell) panels.

You might try disconnecting the DJ battery at the negative jumper

access point for about 10-20 minutes and see if the TIPM reset

resolves your problem.

Maybe remove the screws used to secure fire ext.

Thanks. I already removed the screws thinking maybe it was shorting across them but it didn't change the behaviour. I will try disconnecting the -ve and see what happens.

I did come across another thread on here with similar behaviour on a DJ and also another forum on a Chrysler T&C.

Edited by lytefall

Wow... this is a strange one. I tend to lean toward the TIPM with strange issues like this because it controls so much, but it sounds like you have an install that MAY be to blame. Is this why you asked about removing the rear panel?? Let us know what you find out and good luck.

Yes I was just wanting to check behind there and make sure I didn't nick a wire and cause a problem when I installed the fire extinguisher bracket. I will see what dealer says then take it from there. I didn't realize the panel removal was going to be so involved. If it's the TIPM the nicked wire theory is going to be a wild goose chase so I will hold off and see.

Edited by lytefall

• Official Dodge Support

Not sure where to post this but since it's attached to a window I chose this one. I will try to keep it brief but it's such an odd situation it may take a bit to explain.

Last week I noticed that my wiper would occasionally stop while driving. After that when I turned the switch to off it would stop wherever it was instead of returning to the "home" position.

Since then it's behaviour grown stranger.

I will summarize where we are at now:

Wiper runs constantly (with switch in off position) if vehicle is in reverse. If you shift to N, D etc the wiper stops wherever it is in its cycle

Turning the switch to on also stops the wiper wherever it is in its cycle

If you unlock car with the fob or via the key free door handle touch, the wiper motor hums and the wiper "hops" up a 1/4" at a time but does not move smoothly on its own (during this time you can freely move it through it's cycle with light pressure, but the tail lights dim while doing so)

I am at a loss. The only changes that I made to the vehicle recently was to install a small fire extinguisher about a month ago on the third row armrest just behind the cup holder. i couldnt figure out how to remove the panel but could flex the plastic down freely and didn't think any wires ran that close to the surface. Does the wiper motor wire run throught here? I know it enters the rear door at the top left?

Any ideas? I have an appt with the dealer in a few days but thought I would put it out to the forum to see what you guys think.

lytefall,

This issue does sound a bit strange!

Have you heard back from your dealer yet?

I hope they are able to get this figured out quickly for you.

Keep us posted.

So it ended up having nothing to do with the screws (they were short in response to the above question...just long enough to hold into the panel)

Ended up being the wiring harness that runs into the lift gate (inside the corrugated rubber tubing that runs in the top left when your looking at the liftgate with it up). Dealer mocked something up inside there and I am waiting on a part for a permanent fix. Whatever they did worked because everything's back to normal now. Very strange how it was all interconnected with the reverse gear (I am assuming it had some connection to the reverse lights). I will get more details when the part comes in.

Edited by lytefall

• 3 weeks later...

I realize we now know the panel and screw didn't hurt anything, but it's worthwhile to point out that wire bundles tend to not be near the garnish and hard trim (carpet retainers, pillar trim, cargo hard trim), so your fire extinguisher bracket wouldn't hurt anything.

I was starting to think there was a pinch in the wireset going into the liftgate. Remember, that wireset controls the wiper motor, reverse lights, and parking lights for the inner lights, as well as the interior cargo light, license plate lights, and exterior electronic lock button. Given the wiper was running when in reverse, I'd say there was pinch that connected the reverse lamp power to the wiper motor power and it energized while in reverse. The fix is likely a new wire harness and new boot (accordian-shaped tube going from the body to the liftgate),

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bumping an old one but having some similar issues with right reverse light and rear wiper.

Reverse light went out in March, but then came back on like a week later.  Figured it was the bulb, replaced it, but still worked intermittingly and now doesn't at all. 

Reverse wiper started acting up a few months ago where when you turned them off it would stop right where it was vs. going back down.  This past weekend the wiper didn't do anything when turned on. 

I'm not sure if the issues are tied to another or not...? I'm not super confident when it comes to wiring.  I was going to try a new socket for the light, but the one I order from NAPA was the wrong size (even though said it was for 2012 Dodge Journey Crew).  If that is not it, I assume that is a wiring issue.

Any suggestions?

remove the black rubber cover for the wires at the top left side of the hatch back, and check by squishing the rubber sleeve downward to see if you can see any broken or wires with the insulation scraped off,this is the most likely place for broken wires,if so you can splice them if you feel capable to do it. i checked mine when my rear camera was acting up but there wasn't any broken wires there, then i found on you tube by accident that the Dodge chargers were having a lot of the same thing happening to like mine was, and it ends up being the actual camera lens  is going bad.oh well wait for it to go out  then claim it when i have to go in for something else on the max warranty i have

Edited by 2late4u