Any happy Journey owners out there???

llw2234

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had their journey for a while now ~ maybe a year or close to it ~ and has had NO problems with it. Please let me know. I have had many problems with mine. I have to say I have never owned a car like this one......and I have owned several cars in the past 10 years. I just don't understand how a new car can have so many problems.....really.

I am not defending Chrysler, but it is an all new auto. It will have issues and bugs that will need to be worked out. Unfortunately some people like yourself will get the ones that need alot of attention. I only have had mine for just over 1 month and have a little less than 1100 miles on it, so I can not be a good reference to go by. I am sorry you are having alot of problems with your Journey. It really sucks to pay so much for something and hear from others how they have had no issues, or problems with their Journey while you are POed due to yours. With your help on here we can all benefit from your experience and know what to watch out for. Good luck and keep us updated to your issues and their resolutions if any.

I am not defending Chrysler, but it is an all new auto. It will have issues and bugs that will need to be worked out. Unfortunately some people like yourself will get the ones that need alot of attention. I only have had mine for just over 1 month and have a little less than 1100 miles on it, so I can not be a good reference to go by. I am sorry you are having alot of problems with your Journey. It really sucks to pay so much for something and hear from others how they have had no issues, or problems with their Journey while you are POed due to yours. With your help on here we can all benefit from your experience and know what to watch out for. Good luck and keep us updated to your issues and their resolutions if any.

Yes, this was the first and will be the last time I ever buy a brand new car in its first year. That is obviously a mistake, but my car has had 6 attempts to fix it and next week will be the 7th. I don't consider this to be just a "bug". 6 attempts! And each time I have brought it in to the dealer they replace something with "hope" that it will fix the problem.....not ever understanding the problem. I think a lot of dearlers are like this. I think that if they would have taken the time to understand the problem a little more it would be fixed by now. What a waste of money.....really. I am disgusted with Chrysler.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your Journey and hope that you don't have problems with it. Also keep in mind....my car started it's issue at 17,000 miles.

I have three complaints:

MPG (old motor not the new one)

The touchy down shifting/de-locking torque converter

The Hard Arm Rest on the doors.

Other than that I'm happy. sure there are things I'd chnage, say less plastic, true TPM not just an ideiat light, and the overhead console for sun roofs, but the above three are the biggest issues. I can't understand using the old crappy motor in a new car that was to lead them into the crossover market.

Yes, this was the first and will be the last time I ever buy a brand new car in its first year. That is obviously a mistake, but my car has had 6 attempts to fix it and next week will be the 7th. I don't consider this to be just a "bug". 6 attempts! And each time I have brought it in to the dealer they replace something with "hope" that it will fix the problem.....not ever understanding the problem. I think a lot of dearlers are like this. I think that if they would have taken the time to understand the problem a little more it would be fixed by now. What a waste of money.....really. I am disgusted with Chrysler.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your Journey and hope that you don't have problems with it. Also keep in mind....my car started it's issue at 17,000 miles.

Have you tried a different dealer? Have you contacted Chrysler about the problems? I do not know, but it may be the dealer you have been too. I know that they should be, but not all the dealers are the same. It maybe that the techs do not see these very much and do not know that much about them. If you have not, I'd look for a different dealer, if you have, then I would call Chrysler until they help you. What kinds of problems do you have?

We've had ours just a week now. Apart from the Alarm going off (tempory fix by switching of the interior sensors) we are very pleased with it. Dodge is still quite rare here in the UK.

The Journey is the 4th Dodge to be sold here in right hand drive (the others are Caliber, Avenger and Nitro). We chose the Journey as it looks a bit different to other people movers.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is the VW diesel engine is a bit clattery when cold but is fine once it's settled. I'll live with the noise though as I should be getting about 40 MPG.

Cheers!

Hello All! I've had my Journey since May 2008 and couldn't be happier. It has 20,000 Km and the only problem I had was the radio craped out on me which the dealer changed with a new one. They also changed out the power steering reservoir and the brake switch because others had problems but not mine.

I don't understand why some are having problems with the 3.5 L engine because this engine has been around since the mid nineties and has proved to be very reliable in other vehicles such as the Chrysler Concord, etc. It is a variant of the 3.3 L engine which came out in 89 I believe. The 3.5 L engine has a timing belt instead of chain to make the engine quietier but just remember it should be changed at abour 150,000 Km (115,000 Mi). I have had several vehicles with the 3.3 L engine and never had a problem with any of them. My 92 Caravan had 300,000 Km and the valve cover was never removed. My 02 Grand Caravan has 105000 Km and no Engine problems or any other problems for that matter.

The 3.8 L engine is also a variant of the 3.3 L but both those engines have timing chains. A lot of information is available on various sites on the net concerning those engines.

After almost a year I still love this vehicle. I like the toys, I like the handling, I like the gas miliege, I like the winter driving with AWD, I like the looks and I like the complements I receive from others. No wonder it's the # 2 Selling Cross-over in Canada.

Good Luck to Everyone! Mine goes in for its 20,000 Oil Change today.

Keith

Have you tried a different dealer? Have you contacted Chrysler about the problems? I do not know, but it may be the dealer you have been too. I know that they should be, but not all the dealers are the same. It maybe that the techs do not see these very much and do not know that much about them. If you have not, I'd look for a different dealer, if you have, then I would call Chrysler until they help you. What kinds of problems do you have?

No I have not tried a different dealer. You are right my dealer may not be an experienced dealer with the Journey, but it is the dealer that sold me the car so that is why I am sticking with them. I am a firm believer in taking my car to one place and one place only.....that way you only have one place to blame if anything goes wrong and they have a record of everything that has been done to my car. I don't feel that it is a good time to go to a different dealer in this case. Actually, that is one of the first questions they asked me: "Have you taken your car anywhere else?" and I said "Nope just you!"

Yes we are in contact with Chrysler. Actually after two attempts to fix the problem my dealer was in contact with Chrysler. Everything that was done to my car after the second attempt was recommended by Chrysler. That is why I am somewhat disgusted with them. Like I said they just want to replace everything without diagnosing the problem first. The problem my car has is crazy sounding noise (you would have to hear it) when my car is cold. It does not sound/feel good when it is cold. It is somewhat of a crackling/grinding noise.

And I have also sent Lemon Law letters to Chrysler and my dealer. We have an attorney as well to make sure we don't get taken advantage of.....I have never dealt with anything like this and I don't have time to be taking my car to the dealer everyday.

Hello All! I've had my Journey since May 2008 and couldn't be happier. It has 20,000 Km and the only problem I had was the radio craped out on me which the dealer changed with a new one. They also changed out the power steering reservoir and the brake switch because others had problems but not mine.

I don't understand why some are having problems with the 3.5 L engine because this engine has been around since the mid nineties and has proved to be very reliable in other vehicles such as the Chrysler Concord, etc. It is a variant of the 3.3 L engine which came out in 89 I believe. The 3.5 L engine has a timing belt instead of chain to make the engine quietier but just remember it should be changed at abour 150,000 Km (115,000 Mi). I have had several vehicles with the 3.3 L engine and never had a problem with any of them. My 92 Caravan had 300,000 Km and the valve cover was never removed. My 02 Grand Caravan has 105000 Km and no Engine problems or any other problems for that matter.

The 3.8 L engine is also a variant of the 3.3 L but both those engines have timing chains. A lot of information is available on various sites on the net concerning those engines.

After almost a year I still love this vehicle. I like the toys, I like the handling, I like the gas miliege, I like the winter driving with AWD, I like the looks and I like the complements I receive from others. No wonder it's the # 2 Selling Cross-over in Canada.

Good Luck to Everyone! Mine goes in for its 20,000 Oil Change today.

Keith

Thank you for sharing! I have to admit I am surprised! You are the lucky on I guess!

One big problem with todays cars is that most all the parts are done by outside suppliers. If they have issues it may take a while to show up. Not an excuse just some insight on the matters. I use to work for a supplier that made the interior door panels for the Nitro and Liberty. They also had suppliers for the speakers and wire harnesses.

I don't understand why some are having problems with the 3.5 L engine because this engine has been around since the mid nineties and has proved to be very reliable in other vehicles such as the Chrysler Concord, etc. It is a variant of the 3.3 L engine which came out in 89 I believe.

I don't have a problem with the engine, other than I expected better MPG's. The Tranny can't take much of a load with out un-locking and/or down shifting.

• 2 weeks later...

have my 2009 journey since may of 08, nothing but trouble. i've been in the shop 6 times already 4 times in the last 2 months with the check engine light on. they said thay had to change the cellenoid purge but three times already? now waiting for them to order another part i assume the samr one. by the way whats the lemon law criteria? i might have to look int that.

hopefully I won't jinx myself- I've had my Journey since April 2008- have about 15,000 miles on it. I also own a 2001 Town and Country, 1995 Jeep cherokee and a 2009 chrysler Aspen Limited. So I am used to my dealer and service dept.

But my Journey has had No problems what so ever. I do have the slight ticking noise from the engine but have had no engine issues . I also have not replaced the Power steering resv. as there is no grinding or other iproblems associated from that. Mine is a Inf. red R/T AWD with all options EXCEPT third row seat, Nav. system ( has the mygig) and rear AC/Heat controls. The thing I don't like about my Journey are the tires are a lousy pattern. I wish the offered a more aggressive tread pattern in the 19" wheels. It's an AWD but has a car touring tread on it . Other than that I pretty much pleased.

So far not too bad for a first year vehicle. Purchased 09 in September 08, and it now has 12500 km on it. Complaints so far:

- Down shifting for every little hill and sometimes for no hill at all

- The brake light being on constantly (found fix on this site...trying to convince dealer that that is the problem)

- MyGiG LCD brightness screws up on cold mornings. I have it set to auto brightness, but sometimes when I start its so dim I can hardly see it (about twice as dim as the night time setting). I have to manually change it to daytime.

- Don't like the way the ESP kills your throttle when you're sliding..why not xfer all power to front wheels or something like that. It was very disconcerting just sliding towards a traffic island and not being able to do anything.

On the plus side:

- No major issues engine or electronic issues

- No squeaks, rattles, hums, whistles, whines, etc.

- AWD handles great (except for issue above)

- Gas mileage is great - recently got 9.1 l/100km (26 mpg) on a 700 km highway trip passing through about a dozen small towns. My city mileage is 14.7 l/100km (16 mpg).

I have had mine for 51 weeks now with 46000 klms & I'm quite happy with mine also still tight handles well & has get up & go

I also enjoy the transmission it has a good feel to it

I t does clunk once in a while but to me it feels like a readjustment between computer & tranny almost "lag" time

I feel like I got a good deal for what I paid

have my 2009 journey since may of 08, nothing but trouble. i've been in the shop 6 times already 4 times in the last 2 months with the check engine light on. they said thay had to change the cellenoid purge but three times already? now waiting for them to order another part i assume the samr one. by the way whats the lemon law criteria? i might have to look int that.

Each state has different lemon laws.

1. Usually it is 3-4 visits to the dealer for the same problem and has not been fixed.

2. Or Has been in the shop for over 30 days

3. Problem has to be a safety issue or affect the resale value

• 1 year later...

Yep, i'm a happy owner of an SXT 2.0 CRD JOURNEY...... (first one was naff but having a great dealer, who swapped it out!! has helped)

LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! Driving it too!!! just eats the miles.................... :shift::shift::shift:

Mine has a few minor problems but its not caused me any major concerns. My dealer tries very hard but are basically innefective. My only problem i'd like resolved is that i wasn't told it sat for 15 months before i got it...it was made 06/08 and i took delivery in 09/09. I wouldnt have bought it if i had known that......for 2 reasons, first is that being one of the first made i wonder if they knew what they were doing...ie go practice on someone elses car!!! Secondly, sitting for so long surely cant be good for it. For example, we all know a/c compressor should be run regularly to lube the seal, mine sat for 15 months.....Chrysler have refused to comment so far.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 2009 Journey for 1 year now and when I had to get it inspected I was told I needed front brakes. The car only has 13,000 miles on it. The brakes were squeaking, so I knew the pads were getting used up. But, come on change brakes at 13,000? Has anyone had this problem?

Hi everyone,

I understand that this forum is open to everyone and peoples opinions and comments are what makes a forum informative and interesting. Having said that , I am waiting for my journey to come in, and can't believe that way over 3/4 o the comments on this forum relate to problems the Journey has. It goes from braking to radio and everything in between. I just want to let people know that every time a see a journey at a light or in a mall and the owner is around, I always ask what they think of their Journey and if they regret their choice. Most of the Journey's are 2010 and almost everyone says its a great vehicle with no issues. One person told me they changed their brakes after 48,000k's which is about normal.

I wish that more Journey owners that enjoy their vehicle and have only ordinary issues post their comments and not only the ones who have problems.

Gatrus

Hi everyone,

I understand that this forum is open to everyone and peoples opinions and comments are what makes a forum informative and interesting. Having said that , I am waiting for my journey to come in, and can't believe that way over 3/4 o the comments on this forum relate to problems the Journey has. It goes from braking to radio and everything in between. I just want to let people know that every time a see a journey at a light or in a mall and the owner is around, I always ask what they think of their Journey and if they regret their choice. Most of the Journey's are 2010 and almost everyone says its a great vehicle with no issues. One person told me they changed their brakes after 48,000k's which is about normal.

I wish that more Journey owners that enjoy their vehicle and have only ordinary issues post their comments and not only the ones who have problems.

Gatrus

Ask yourself this - if you buy a product, any product, that performs as advertised and does what you need, are you going to go out of your way to tell the world about it? The answer is probably "no". Sure, you may praise it when asked, but you're probably not going to take the time out of your busy day to become an advocate for said product. However, if you purchase a product that has a problem, be it real or maybe just "user error", you're very likely to seek advice and help from an online community. If you have a REALLY bad experience with said product, you will likely become outspoken about your bad experiences and you very well may take time out of your busy day to denounce the product, just to get back at the company that has done you wrong.

My point is, these forums, by their very nature, will attract people with problems more so than people without any problems. This is true of virtually all products on the planet and is certainly true for all makes and models of cars. No vehicle being produced today is 100% defect free. All car makes have problems. Some more so than others but they are ALL "generally good" from a quality perspective. Keep this in mind when you read about problems and bad experiences on this or any other forum.

In my case, my '10 SXT purchased in November of 2009 has been 100% problem free through 8700 miles. Sure, it has some quirks that annoy me in a minor way and there are some details that I think could have been implemented better but, by and large, I am very happy with my purchase. My reasons for being involved in this forum are 1) to keep informed of problems that others may be experiencing so I can either prevent them from occurring to me or be better prepared to deal with them if they do happen, and 2) to see what kind of modifications and enhancements people are making to their Journey's because I eventually want to make some modifications/enhancements of my own.