Hit this weekend...

Journeyman425

If there was any wood around here, I'd be knocking on it. I haven't been rear-ended in my Journey, yet. Every car I've owned longer than a year has been rear ended. My Grand Prix was hit twice before I sold it. My Special was hit once, but it was a good excuse to repair damage from the previous owner on insurance dime. My Charger was hit by an uninsured stripper a few months after moving to the Detroit area. I fear getting hit around here since Michigan carries the highest insurance rates in the country due to it being a no-fault state, and half the people in the Detroit area don't carry insurance at all. They get it for one month every year to renew their registration and then drop it, then proceed to drive as though the road belongs to them and TRY to get into a wreck.

If there was any wood around here, I'd be knocking on it. I haven't been rear-ended in my Journey, yet. Every car I've owned longer than a year has been rear ended. My Grand Prix was hit twice before I sold it. My Special was hit once, but it was a good excuse to repair damage from the previous owner on insurance dime. My Charger was hit by an uninsured stripper a few months after moving to the Detroit area. I fear getting hit around here since Michigan carries the highest insurance rates in the country due to it being a no-fault state, and half the people in the Detroit area don't carry insurance at all. They get it for one month every year to renew their registration and then drop it, then proceed to drive as though the road belongs to them and TRY to get into a wreck.

Yikes! That sounds like another strike against Detroit! We are no-fault in MN, but the insurance company will go after you if you are uninsured... Not a battle I would want to take on.

I called the lady who hit us today (they were away for a few days) and explained that I partially repaired the fascia myself and by doing so would lower the cost of the repair. She was very appreciative and nice about it and agreed to pay the estimate that was given to me by my bodyshop. Probably will get it in after Christmas - it's just too busy of a time right now.

I called the lady who hit us today (they were away for a few days) and explained that I partially repaired the fascia myself and by doing so would lower the cost of the repair. She was very appreciative and nice about it and agreed to pay the estimate that was given to me by my bodyshop. Probably will get it in after Christmas - it's just too busy of a time right now.

Will you get the work done at your dealership then?? Keep an eye on her?

Will you get the work done at your dealership then?? Keep an eye on her?

No, we don't have a bodyshop at my store. But there is a very reputable shop nearby with whom we do a lot of business with. They repaired my front fascia last year when it was hit the first time and matched it perfectly. I trust them completely to take care of it.

And yet again...

18 year old girl blew a red light as my wife was leaving work. No one was injured. I think the car is repairable but won't know for a few days. I guess I don't have to worry about the crack in the rear fascia anymore...

IMG_2214_zps8e2d7560.jpgIMG_2213_zps9d8a27c5.jpgIMG_2212_zps7eda0879.jpg

Edited by Journeyman425

It's unbelievable. My fourteen year old 300M with 296,000 miles has never been hit once. Except for a couple of door dings, the body is free of damage and the paint is original. This Journey is a friggin' magnet for damage. But all that really matters is that no one was hurt. It won't be estimated until next week so once I know that outcome I'll update you all again.

Lucky that the air bags did not deploy. Lot of $ fixing that kind of damage. If it is totaled, will you stick with Copperhead Pearl?

I would, but it's no longer offered for 2015. I'd have to find a leftover 2014 Limited. I don't think it's totaled, though. I'll probably know by Monday.

Lemme guess. The 18 yr old was using a cell phone in some sort of fashion, when she missed the red light? It would be interesting to check out her phone records.

H.P.

She admitted to running the light to the responding police officer. I don't think her phone records will be checked by anyone other than her father since there were no injuries. In a case where there are major injuries or a fatality, then definitely. She was apologetic to my wife as well. As a parent, I'm glad she wasn't hurt.

If it weren't for bad luck you would have none at all !!!!!!!!!

I know it doesn't help but Merry Christmas.

Believe me, it does. I sat in church this evening with my family and thanked God that nobody was hurt. It was too damn close for me to think about what could have been. And that's just it. Could have been, but didn't happen. Yeah, it's going to be inconvenient for a while and it's gonna cost me some bucks even with full insurance, but I can deal with that. We have everything to be thankful for.

And Merry Christmas to you, and all my friends here. Thanks for your support!

Edited by Journeyman425

I would, but it's no longer offered for 2015. I'd have to find a leftover 2014 Limited. I don't think it's totaled, though. I'll probably know by Monday.

Get one shipped in from Canada. Then you can have DRL's

I see a local dealer here has two Copper Pearl 2014's One is a Limited, the other an RT.

Not sure what the rules are for doing that.

H.P.

Finally at the bodyshop today. The accident occurred 50 miles away from my home, so the car had to be towed locally to a yard. This was 9:00 Tuesday night. I called Wednesday morning but the yard was closed for Christmas. Called there today and no one knew anything about it. Police report also had the towing companies for my car and the other driver's car reversed. Called the other company and they didn't have it, either. Took five phone calls in four hours to finally get someone who knew about our car. They wrote it up as a Durango, so that further confused things. Called my local towing company, called my bodyshop, called insurance agent (still closed for Christmas) and got everybody on board; finally coordinated all parties and got the car back to where it will hopefully be repaired. Did all this while at work, we wrote up fifty cars and answered over 160 phone calls. I'm going to have a beer now...

What really ticks me off about the whole thing are the kickbacks that are involved. I called the towing company that I routinely deal with en route to pick up my wife and requested that they go get the car for me and bring it back to the shop in my town. No can do, they say - the police have "lists" of selected companies that they call to tow disabled vehicles. I understand that they have to clear the road so it can be reopened as quickly as possible. My car is in the shoulder and not blocking any traffic. So now I have to deal with some unknown company who takes my car yet another 20 miles away to some huge yard. Yes it is now Christmas Eve morning and many places are closed. I get that - I was off also. Two days of storage right there because of Christmas. But now - how convenient - no one can find my car the next business day until there are enough hours of storage logged to constitute another day of fees. Yes, the insurance company is paying but this is why all of our rates are through the roof. The amount of hurdles I had to clear just to take possesion of my own damned car is borderline criminal. And who has time for all of this crap? I'm trying to run a business during this whole process. I still don't even know if it will be repaired or totaled.

Sorry for the rant, but I do things a totally different way and these kinds of practices really get me aggravated. Call me naive or small-town but it just seems all wrong.

Went to the bodyshop Saturday and got a closer look:

IMG_2221_zps0fe2c36b.jpg

IMG_2222_zps66169f31.jpg

IMG_2223_zps284d8f4d.jpg

It is repairable and we don't believe it to be totaled since none of the airbags went off. Estimates are not in yet but my guess is somewhere around 15K. I'll update you all when I know more. Almost all of the damage is contained to the driver's side front corner. The left front wheel appears straight, I didn't see any damage to the control arm or the steering rack. The doors all line up and even the hood was still latched before I opened it. Check out the battery. It looks like one of those cutaway demonstrations that you see at museums and trade shows.