Hit this weekend...

Journeyman425

Is the reason it won't come out of park have anything to do with the accident, or them not having a FOB? Maybe you can get a set of black headlights and a black grill. Then we'd be not quite twins, but close.

Unless there was damage to the trans/engine there is always

the built in trans-Park solenoid bypass which is built into the console.

That's what happened. The front mount broke and caused the linkage to bind up or break. Even with the shift interlock, the lever won't move.

Edited by Journeyman425

As long as your DJ is at the garage that you trust you will be fine. I know that this is easy for me to say. When I had my 2006 Jeep Commander, one of the employees got pissed about something, and backed into my Jeep going about 40 mph! They had to put it on a machine to pull out the support between the doors, a new front door and skin for the rear door. Took almost 3 weeks before I got it back.

As long as your DJ is at the garage that you trust you will be fine. I know that this is easy for me to say.

That's how I feel. I trust them completely. The hard part now is the wait. It's gonna be a while before I get it back. I told my wife that the day we get it back, I'm gonna be out there for hours detailing it top to bottom!!

I am grateful that my wife and the young girl who hit her were not injured. How awful would that have been for both of our families, especially at Christmas. Now that a week and a half have passed and the I've had time to process all of this in between work and the holidays, I've been thinking about a different kind of loss. At the risk of sounding shallow, I'm talking about the loss of that new car feeling. It might sound petty, but it's a big thing for an automotive enthusiast like myself - like most of us here on the board. Even though the car has 31,000 miles, until the eve of 12/23 it still drove exactly as it did on day one - perfectly straight, no vibration in the wheels, tires or brakes. There was one occasional creak from the upper strut bearing on the left front but I chose not to address that because I didn't want anything taken apart. Anyway, I would go out and detail the car top to bottom and go out for a drive, and it would be just like the first day I drove it home each time. I loved that feeling and now it's gone. I know I have everything to be grateful for ( and I am) but it's a shame that that feeling is gone. Maybe I'll be proven wrong when I get the car back, but I just can't see how it'll ever be the same. Oh well, I'm just lamenting to a group who understands where I'm at. Trust me when I say that this is a loss that I will happily accept over what could have been.

you need to remember when dealing with her ins. company to compensate you for the lost resale value of your journey since it was in such a bad acc. the resale value will be less now. they can or will compensate you for that but you might have to argue with them and tell them you have contacted your lawyer already. just a thought.....

My 2004 Envoy XUV was stolen after the break in of my home early 2005, the truck didn't even have 5000 miles on it. The guy went around too garages in 2 days stealing everything my truck could carry, don't know why he finally decided to ditch it and completely tear it apart. My insurance company decided they would try and fix it, which they in turn regretted. Loss of resale; I got the story of "you don't know what your loss will be down the road if any." I do know the longer the vehicle shows up in repairs the worse it looks when you run the vin later on. Some insurance companies just throw in a small additional amount to keep everyone quiet. I've since changed insurance companies, I pay a little more, but I don't get the run around as I did with my other one.

Journeyman, where she hit, is that where the battery is? Or is it in another location?

Journeyman, where she hit, is that where the battery is? Or is it in another location?

Yes it is - the battery is located just ahead of the driver's side front wheel in the corner of the fender. If you look at the first and third pictures of my car in the bodyshop, you can see the battery is literally torn in half. Follow the red (positive) cable down and you'll see the battery hanging.

Reading your story, I really have nothing to complain about. I know it was a few years ago but I'm sorry about your losses. You must have felt so violated. What an awful ordeal that must have been for you.

Edited by Journeyman425

So, the Mopar parts truck made a delivery to my shop this morning. I got a call from the guys in the back building where the parts deliveries are received..."hey...your car is back here!"

IMG_2241_zps85d08730.jpg

All those boxes are various body parts for my Journey which will in turn be delivered by us to the bodyshop..."Some Assembly Required!" :)

I wasn't sure if the battery was in the same place as the 2015s, the salesman of the 2013 I was looking at said they were under the seat. ahh what did he know? Glad it didn't explode!!

BTW, I only felt violated by the cops and the insurance company. The police were sure I had my brand new truck stolen since the guy was in my house and took my keys, and then they didn't write it up as a breaking and entering, they wrote it up as a stolen car. Then the insurance company couldn't get it together to fix it, nor fix it right, I was out over 2 months waiting for repairs, and took it to 3 different places to get it right, it was never right. Ohhh, and the guy that sat on my truck for a month and did nothing, kept saying he was waiting on one more part, he quit, then my insurance company hired him. OnStar is useless, as long as he pulled the wires or unhooked the battery they couldn't trace him. But at one point they told me the police had him cornered, then said they shouldn't have told me that; "call back every hour if you'd like though!" ahh then my 220lb mastiff that was happy to see him as long as she got treats!

I hope you get it back with no problems, a lot of boxes to put it back together...

I wasn't sure if the battery was in the same place as the 2015s, the salesman of the 2013 I was looking at said they were under the seat. ahh what did he know? Glad it didn't explode!!

The current body style Durango and Grand Cherokee from 2011 to present has the battery under the passenger front seat. The Journey's battery has always been in the driver's front fenderwell.

• 2 weeks later...

So this vehicle appears to be pretty safe. I'm glad to hear your wife was ok. Hopefully you're good to go after this.

Thank you for your kind concern. She is fine, not a scratch. The car is definitely structurally sound. She took a very hard hit and the car absorbed the crash energy to the point of preventing injury to her, plus it was far enough forward so she was still a safe distance from the point of impact.

Hey Journeyman 425,

How's your baby coming along? Is the repair progressing well?

Yes Rolly, thank you. It's going back together at this point. The transmission solenoid pack got nicked and had to be replaced. This involves removal of the valve body to access the solenoid pack. With the radiator support and front fascia completely off, access to it is a breeze. So, I sent my transmission tech to the bodyshop to perform this repair for them on Thursday. We delivered yet more parts to them Friday and my driver reported that the front fenders were painted and on, and the front end was being reassembled. I never call there to pester them or ask how much longer it will take because a) I know they're working on it every day; they will call me when it's done and b.) I hear that from a few of my customers who know that we are working on their cars and that we have already acknowledged their requests for completion by a specific time and still they ask and it irritates me...sorry! Anyway, based on this "spy" info, I'm thinking it may be done by the end of next week. I can't wait to get her back; it's been nearly a month already. I miss driving it. The Chrysler 200 that I'm driving is impressive, but it's no Journey.

Edited by Journeyman425

New 2015 200. Nice looking car, decent handling, even has good power for a 2.4 since it's mated with a nine speed auto. It's just kind of benign, that's all. I'm sure the 200C and S with the 3.2 and extra options is a much more soulful car. I really miss driving the Journey. I just hope it's close to the way it was before it got smashed.