Not a Cold weather vehicle!!

Srtified

Now that it's warmed up a bit, has anybody else noticed how incredibly thirsty the Journey AWD becomes in extremely cold weather?? I was getting about 16l/100km (17 mpg) when it got below zero but we ha d a spell of -30C weather (-24F or so) and mileage went all the way dowm to 21.8L/100 km (13 mpg) and is just starting to get better now. Anyone swap out diff fluids for synthetic yet?? I think that would help immensely.....hmmmm, I wonder what Chrysler Canada has to say about a fluid swap to improve overall mileage???

i drive most city... from home to work it takes me about 30 minutes.

and my journey 2013 r/t avg mpg shows on the display 12.8mpg... 28F...

however, at the same temperature, i was getting 23-25 mpg on the highway driving 60-80 mph.

i think it just depends on the type of road that you are driving.

many little things can be factored in such as wind, road type, traffic, ac blah blah...

but it is heavy car close to 4k lbs.. oh well...

better than my old nissan armada, i was getting 10 on city, 16 highway!!!

I was getting about 16l/100km (17 mpg) when it got below zero but we ha d a spell of -30C weather (-24F or so) and mileage went all the way dowm to 21.8L/100 km (13 mpg) and is just starting to get better now.

Yes, gas mileage is not a strong suit of the Journey. Out here in Regina (where we have a dry cold :yup: ) we are experiencing one of the worst winters in a while, lots of cold weather and snow. My gas mileage is very poor (as high as 21 litres/100 kms) although on Monday I travelled to Saskatoon and I got 11.3 litres/100 kms on a 500 km. trip. I have said it before but if you want to see each and every tankful I have used since day 1 in my car just click on the Fuelly logo below.

Terry

we've been averaging 17L/100km, up about 3L/100Km from over the summer months, and that's mostly city driving, although it's not mine so I can't compare directly. we don't idle a lot (indoor parking), I'm expecting that it's due mostly to slippage on take offs, and the fact I gun the engine on a couple low traffic streets to get the the engine temp up, and the heat flowin' :D

• 11 months later...

I just purchased a 2013 journey sxt fwd w/13k miles and I am disappointed in the gas mileage. I have been averaging 13.4 mpg in the city. According to all te reviews I was expecting 16/17 at least. I hope it improves in the warmer weather. Any feedback ?

Winter blend gas causes lower MPG's. Our 2013 SXT, FWD also had right at 13k mile3s. I am quite pleased as we are averaging 18-19 around town. As fas as the heater goes, guess it depends on what your definition of "to take awhile" is and how cold it is outside.

Around town fuel mileage on a new car has never been great for me. My Journey was about the same when it was new but now I am seeing 17-18, and most of my driving is in town. Also I notice long warm ups kill my gas mileage.

Congrats on your Journey, hope you enjoy it!!

Around town fuel mileage on a new car has never been great for me. My Journey was about the same when it was new but now I am seeing 17-18, and most of my driving is in town. Also I notice long warm ups kill my gas mileage.

As I have said before, I definately would agree the "around town" mileage is not a strong point especially up here in the Great White North with all the idling and "warming up" we are forced to do because of the conditions. In my experience where the Journey does shine is Highway gas mileage as it climbs immensely.

The winter mileage up here of these cars is abysmal but IMO they are great vehicles.

Terry

Can someone tell me any vehicle that gets good mileage in these temps?

Have not had weather like this since the before the Journey was created (around here anyway)

I'm getting around 19mpg and I'm quite happy at 0*F

My 09 RT got around 17 in the winter

PS Love the heated steering wheel

I find between winter gas and winter tires, my milage goes up/down/whatever, it gets worse by a few liters/100km for my normal around town driving. Once I get on the highway and things stay warm for a while it gets closer to "normal".

As an aside, I noticed that in Canada we measure fuel over distance (Litres per kilometer) where as in the states it is distance over fuel (miles per gallon). It makes it very difficult to talk about milage in forums like this.

If my "milage" goes down I am happy (less liters to go 100km). I'm happy when I get under 10L/100km.

If I told an american I was getting a "milage" of 9.8 they would think I was driving a tank!

Gas mileage no matter what terms of reference you use are

influenced by many factors wx,temps,vehicle condition,

other drivers but quite considerably by you.

This tank EVIC is showing 10.9L/100km with 50-50 split

city/hwy at temps of -15 C to -22 C but I will believe only

what and when I calculate after next fill.

Just remember, with any vehicle if it's idling fuel mileage = 0 mpg. Ain't no way of getting around it. And as with anything there are trade offs - if you let your vehicle idle a lot, don't expect good fuel mileage or anything approaching its fuel mileage rating.

I know you all in the Great White North have much colder temps than most of us in the US, but, in general, an engine will warm up faster if it's driven than if it's left idling. The engine creates warms up faster doing work than just idling doing little or no "work".

On a typical subfreezing morning, I have heat in my vehicles (Ram and Journey) by the time I've gone 2-3 miles. In subzero temps it takes a little longer, but not much.

Typically our Journey (3.5L V6) gets 19-20 mpg in local driving and 25-26 mpg on the highway.

• Official Dodge Support

I find between winter gas and winter tires, my milage goes up/down/whatever, it gets worse by a few liters/100km for my normal around town driving. Once I get on the highway and things stay warm for a while it gets closer to "normal".

As an aside, I noticed that in Canada we measure fuel over distance (Litres per kilometer) where as in the states it is distance over fuel (miles per gallon). It makes it very difficult to talk about milage in forums like this.

If my "milage" goes down I am happy (less liters to go 100km). I'm happy when I get under 10L/100km.

If I told an american I was getting a "milage" of 9.8 they would think I was driving a tank!

CCCacher,

I know what you mean, we do things are little different here in Canada, same result of course but just a different take on the calculation.

I must say, I wouldn't mind doing a fuel run with a tank. For scientific purposes of course..... ;)

As an aside, I noticed that in Canada we measure fuel over distance (Litres per kilometer) where as in the states it is distance over fuel (miles per gallon).

The first expression l/100kms. is based on CONSUMPTION and is a an actual number, An actual number of kms. (100) and an actual quantity of fuel (say 10.2 liters) It takes to travel 100 kms. no more no less.

If you care to read more on this go to: http://www.skepticbl.../mpg-vs-l100km/.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 1 month later...

My wife uses the remote start ofter when it's cold out. Rigfht now my economy stands at 26.5L/100kms. It's a great car but the fuel economy is HORRIBLE. Even in the summer I never see anything under 21L/100kms. Any of you that are getting in the teens are extremely lucky. (BTW, mine's a 2011 RT AWD)

Wow that's terrible, I have to believe there's more than luck involved. There has to be something wrong, after 36,000 kilometres our Journey has a combined City/Highway average of 10.5. I've used "Fuelly" religiously since we bought the Journey. Even in city driving alone I'm using less than half of that. We have very flat terrain here, but I wouldn't think that would result in such a significant difference. I don't use my remote start except in extreme cold (3 times in one week this year). After seeing the resulting mileage difference in that week, I don't bother. I would suggest plugging in the block heater if you haven't already.

Wow that's terrible, I have to believe there's more than luck involved. There has to be something wrong, after 36,000 kilometres our Journey has a combined City/Highway average of 10.5. I've used "Fuelly" religiously since we bought the Journey. Even in city driving alone I'm using less than half of that. We have very flat terrain here, but I wouldn't think that would result in such a significant difference. I don't use my remote start except in extreme cold (3 times in one week this year). After seeing the resulting mileage difference in that week, I don't bother. I would suggest plugging in the block heater if you haven't already.

I would have to agree with Rolly, I am certainly not getting the gas mileage he is getting (lucky guy) but 21 is much too high. I have been using my remote start and letting the car "warm" up more than ever this year because out here on the Canadian Prairies we are experiencing a very cold winter......how cold you ask....even the lawyers here have their hands in their own pockets.....I digress :lol: ....sorry to everyone in the field of law :)

Back to the topic at hand, there is no doubt idling can drastically affect gas mileage, I have seen mine jump 2 litres/100 kms. in less than 5 minutes of idling.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not normal but the all the dealer did was a fuel economy test ON THE HIGHWAY and didn't see a difference. All they did was reset the learning parameters and that's it. Well no shit Sherlock it's gonna do well on the highway at a speed of 80KM/h. I have no problem dropping to under 10L on the highway but the city economy is killing me. I really do like this car. It has 20700kms I WILL get robbed if I trade it in. I've even gone to switching the oil to Mobil1 0W30 full synthetic. AT one point I was changing oil and always being a quart short. I topped it up this time still no change. I don't know what the hell to do anymore. Maybe those eco tires might. I give up...

Defender007, i feel your pain! Mine is @ 25.2L/100kms now! It freakin cold here in saskatoon! I notice how the engine works hard in cold waether but i have to limit my idling to 3 mins w/c on my feeling with the engine is not enough! I have to do this for fuel economy. If i idle 5 min it goes up 26L/100kms really easy. I have'nt shift to synthetic oil yet!

I know it's not normal but the all the dealer did was a fuel economy test ON THE HIGHWAY and didn't see a difference. All they did was reset the learning parameters and that's it. Well no shit Sherlock it's gonna do well on the highway at a speed of 80KM/h. I have no problem dropping to under 10L on the highway but the city economy is killing me. I really do like this car. It has 20700kms I WILL get robbed if I trade it in. I've even gone to switching the oil to Mobil1 0W30 full synthetic. AT one point I was changing oil and always being a quart short. I topped it up this time still no change. I don't know what the hell to do anymore. Maybe those eco tires might. I give up...

It sounds like you are spending way more money than you will ever save trying to squeeze a couple more mpg's (or however you calculate it north of the border). To offset the cost of a set of new tires you would have to have quite a gain in mileage...

I can.

I have a 2010 Santa Fe LTD - V6 AWD. I am getting 11.0 L/100 KM city. An I can assure you that here in the frozen North we have been averaging -20 deg temps all winter and heavy snow. My brother has a 2014 Kia Sorento V6 AWD and he is averaging 11.5 L/100 KM. He just returned from a 500 mile trip down into Michigan and at 65 mph averaged 26 mpg US. (29 mpg Imp). Temps were in the -18 deg range.

FWD is a better option if the V6 is your choice in the DJ. Talked to a gentleman this am who had a 2014 DJ with R/T pkg and he was very disappointed with fuel economy but liked the comfort and convenience of the vehicle. He indicated that had he done his homework he would have looked elsewhere however he was lead astray by the salesman who told him he would get 32 -34 easily. That is impossible I told him as it is rated in the brochure at 34 mpg (imp). You have to subtract at least 4-5 mpg off the sticker.

He is not a happy customer and I cannot blame him. On the other hand I am very happy with my fuel economy and so is my brother. I am beginning to shy away from the DJ based on fuel economy as I do want a V6 and AWD. I will research further but I have not heard anything real positive about the DJ - R/T in regards to fuel economy.

Edited by Journey41