Not a Cold weather vehicle!!

Srtified

My 2011 R/T averages about 26mpg US on the highway. Everything is a series of tradeoffs. For extra horsepower, all vehicles trade some efficiency. That's a fact. I like the DJ's power when I need it. The trick is finding the perfect combination that suits you. The other trick is finding that perfect combination in a sea of confusing marketing. Car buying is not easy.

Peace.

My experience has been the same as retomatoman as far as mileage and in some cases even better. I can't believe a salesperson or an auto company would misrepresent gas mileage- must be the first time ever(ahem). Seems to me there was a recent settlement over exaggerated gas mileage claims. I wonder which auto company that was, hmm? For what the Journey gives me for my money, I'm extremely happy. I agree with jkeaton if gas mileage was a major concern, I would have bought a Prius!

As stated you are happy. That is great! However you have an SXT. Seems like the FWD version is okay when I comes to fuel economy. It is the AWD versions that suffer some what. Usually there is a 1-2 mpg difference between FWD & AWD however in the R/T is looks like there is a significant difference and that is the reason for the number of disappointments.

I am sure Dodge will figure this out for the new 2016 DJ and be competitive with the other mfg's. Talked to a gentleman here today who was getting into his 2013 DJ with the R/T and he indicated that he was averaging 14.4L/!00 KM all city. That is certainly higher than most in this segment.

I get that point.. V6+ AWD= R/T fuel economy sucks.. Im kinda aware about it before i bought my R/T but i cant help it when it's 14L/100km higher than other r/t out there in the road. It's double than what it says in sticker. If i get it down to 17or 18L/100kms i will stop complaining. Im still on 25.2L/100kms now! Only 300+ kms to the full tank!

I get that point.. V6+ AWD= R/T fuel economy sucks.. Im kinda aware about it before i bought my R/T but i cant help it when it's 14L/100km higher than other r/t out there in the road. It's double than what it says in sticker. If i get it down to 17or 18L/100kms i will stop complaining. Im still on 25.2L/100kms now! Only 300+ kms to the full tank!

Just out of curiosity, how many litres of fuel do you put in at fill up?

Chris1276,

I know you have mentioned in the past that you fill up at some cheapy gas station instead of using toptier gas. Have you ever tried doing 3 or 4 consecutive fill ups at a top tier gas station to see if the fuel economy improves. I often wonder if the type of fuel you are using is also contributing to the terrible fuel mileage besides the AWD, 19" tires, cold temps, over idling and city driving. 25.2L/100 km's is real shitty even with all those factors. My boss' 4x4 RAM (no HEMI) with 20" wheels still is able to get 17L/100 kms.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Just out of curiosity, how many litres of fuel do you put in at fill up?

I have a habit of filling my fuel everytime my evic says its low fuel and i normally fill 63-65 liters until fuel pump automatically stops! Everytime it gets low theres always one line left in my fuel guage! Sometimes my evic says less than 300 kms DTE. But actual consumption was just a bit over 200 because it show low fuel after 60kms DTE. I used to track my mileage using fuelly.com but i give up because it always the same disappointment. I even brought to my dealership for fuel consumption test but i got refuse. Its too early to do that according to them. Breaking period is on 20k kms according to them.

Journey_SeXT,

I used to fill on co-op gas station for i filled up membership there! But since i got poor mileage i shift to petro-canada or shell even i didnt see "top tier" on thier station i just assume because it a bigger gas company! I could tell my journey is good in highway because the last time we went to 1,960 kms road trrip it went as low as 9.9L/100kms. Really satisfied with it. Sad part is as soon as i start driving on city it goes up to 15L/100kms really easy i could tell less than couple of hundred kms. And it starts there. Winter came, more city driving and voala!!! 25.2L/100kms.

Edited by Chris1276

I could tell my journey is good in highway because the last time we went to 1,960 kms road trrip it went as low as 9.9L/100kms. Really satisfied with it. Sad part is as soon as i start driving on city it goes up to 15L/100kms really easy i could tell less than couple of hundred kms. And it starts there. Winter came, more city driving and voala!!! 25.2L/100kms.

So, let me get this straight. You're happy with the highway efficiency, but unhappy with the city efficiency. Have you considered your driving style? If you are heavy on the accelator and brakes, that is no good for fuel efficiency. Good highway economy indicates that the engine can run efficiently. If you have not done so already, try one tank with the fuel efficiency meter in the evic and follow it to a tee. If you can obtain good efficiency, then the DJ is not to blame. It's likely driving style. Just a suggestion.

Peace.

I could tell that its not in my driving style. I accelerate very gently and brake gently too. I religously try my very best to be as gentle as i could. I didnt even brought my rpm higher than 3000 in my entire city driving. I tend to cruise to stop before i reach traffic light. I spend most of my city driving looking on fuel economy on my evic. If i can reach my destination with out even stepping my accelerator i probably do to reduce my fuel economy! :-)

Hi Red,

" If you have not done so already, try one tank with the fuel efficiency meter in the evic and follow it to a tee."

What does it mean?? Sorry nit clear to me!

You can get a real time fuel economy read-out on the digital display in your gauge cluster. Pretty sure he is talking about watching that as you drive and seeing what actions induce better fuel efficiency...

You can get a real time fuel economy read-out on the digital display in your gauge cluster. Pretty sure he is talking about watching that as you drive and seeing what actions induce better fuel efficiency...

Ok i got it.. Thats exactly what i meant on spending more time looking on my fuel economy that on the road. lol.. Everytime the red bar goes up i release the pedal and cruise to save fuel.. This coming summer im sure it'll get down to 17-19L/100kms on city driving. Little bit better but still very high on my opinion!

i shift to petro-canada or shell even i didnt see "top tier" on thier station i just assume because it a bigger gas company!

Yes, Petro, Shell & Esso are top tier. You may also want to try switching to synthetic oil instead of conventional for the extreme cold winters....it may even help a bit with the fuel economy. I know this may seem pretty corny but here is a link on fuel saving tips... http://www.wikihow.com/Increase-Fuel-Mileage-on-a-Car

Edited by Journey_SeXT