Forbes says avoid the DJ.

I agree. You really have to take it all "with a grain of salt". From what I see, the ealy DJ's suffered from a lot of growing pains. The later ones seem to have mnostly minor issues. I have only owned my 2012 SXT for about a month (1,000 miles) and all is well so far. I believe that I made the right choice for me and my family.....only time will tell. Fortunately the dealer I bought it from is great.

Bruce

If I read the article correctly, they are basing this on someone else's opinion. They are just regurgitating info from another source. In my opinion this speaks to the laziness of the writer! Any credible writer would have done their own research. Kinda like he said, she said!

Here is a different opinion from a a source that actually takes the time to do hands on research and have been doing it since 1967.

Five Chrysler Group LLC Models Receive 2013 Consumer Guide Automotive 'Best Buy' Award

http://www.equities.com/news/headline-story?dt=2012-12-05&val=789137&cat=industrial

I don't know Consumer Reports, but the wikipedia says they've been doing it since 1936.

Who cares?!? 1967 1936? Big deal. Haters suck. C'mon Forbes, print your opinion for the best cars, the best caviar, the best golf bags, the Mercedes Jaguar shootout, but don't hate damnit. If you want to tell everyone that Jaguars are great and maintenance free, then feel free. Sounds like a great article.

Forbes editors, please don't look down your nose at me and other journey owners like you're too good to drive a dodge. Dicks.

Who cares?!? 1967 1936? Big deal. Haters suck. C'mon Forbes, print your opinion for the best cars, the best caviar, the best golf bags, the Mercedes Jaguar shootout, but don't hate damnit. If you want to tell everyone that Jaguars are great and maintenance free, then feel free. Sounds like a great article.

Forbes editors, please don't look down your nose at me and other journey owners like you're too good to drive a dodge. Dicks.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion weather you like it or not. If you don't like it, ignore it.

And watch the language. Please.

In New Zealand we only get the choice of FWD SXT and FWD R/T both with the 3.6L v6 engine which is fine by me as I don't want to pay extra for a 4WD feature that I will never use.

I do agree that due to the size and weight of the vehicle the V6 engine is must have for someone like me.

But people shouldn't complain that the 2.4L version is not up to par... if you don't like it then get the 3.6L and the DJ is still the best value car for its class.

None of these reviews really take the price into consideration... in NZ the DJ offer outstanding value when you compare it to its competitors (Territory, Highlander, Prado, CX-9, Captiva 7, Sorento R) which are typically over 10 to 15K more expensive.

Even if the competitors were at the same price I will still likely choose the DJ for the amazing V6 engine, interior / exterior styling and quality and the entertainment system.

Forbes just reported what Consumer Reports says. I don't know the methodology that Consumer Reports uses, but I suppose it's not based on opinion but on tests and/or tracking faults among owners.

I cannot say if the methodology it uses is sound or not, but, again, the wikipedia page says that in the few cases they were wrong, they later retracted their reports and published a correction, and when they were sued they never lost or settled a case, so it seems it is sound.

The reports they do is just a carbon copy of every year. American cars lacking, Asian vehicles getting it right and I'm just short of an orgasm for Mercedes and BMW. Don't get me wrong I do like imports which I have been driving since the mid 80's but they've had their issues too (ie. Toyota with their weekly mass recalls). Funny how the Dodge 4 cyl. is an underpowered lethargic hunk of junk, but a Honda CR-V which is like 10 measly hp more is now a refined piece of machinery that owns the road....I've owned the CR-V and many other Honda's and they all were underpowered and way overpriced with a bland interior.

Forbes just reported what Consumer Reports says. I don't know the methodology that Consumer Reports uses, but I suppose it's not based on opinion but on tests and/or tracking faults among owners.

I cannot say if the methodology it uses is sound or not, but, again, the wikipedia page says that in the few cases they were wrong, they later retracted their reports and published a correction, and when they were sued they never lost or settled a case, so it seems it is sound.

I think CR uses sound methodologies and bases their ratings on testing. BUT their testing is subjective, and CR certainly has their favorites. I feel that the subjective nature of their testing and their preconceived favorites do play a role in their final ratings. But the reason I posted the article is not because I have any issue with CR, they are entitled to their opinions. I found the article by Forbes interesting due to the fact that Forbes just used the CR reports to beat up on any vehicles that Forbes readers were unlikely to own. My gut feeling is that there are some vehicles, possibly even based on CR ratings, that were omitted. I could be wrong, but that was the feeling that I got.

Peace.

The reports they do is just a carbon copy of every year. American cars lacking, Asian vehicles getting it right and I'm just short of an orgasm for Mercedes and BMW. Don't get me wrong I do like imports which I have been driving since the mid 80's but they've had their issues too (ie. Toyota with their weekly mass recalls). Funny how the Dodge 4 cyl. is an underpowered lethargic hunk of junk, but a Honda CR-V which is like 10 measly hp more is now a refined piece of machinery that owns the road....I've owned the CR-V and many other Honda's and they all were underpowered and way overpriced with a bland interior.

Right. Perfectly stated.

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned my Journey SXT AWD for exactly 1 year and just over 25k miles. Great truck! I haven't had a single issue with the vehicle. Everything works superbly well - the truck is solid, quiet and comfortable in all types of driving. I must be doing something wrong, I guess. It also was the fastest accelerating vehicle in its class when equipped with the Pentastar - now it's edged out by the new Ecoboost turbo Explorer.

Yup, the Pentastar is a great engine and here is something of interest I did a Copy & Paste of to prove its greatness

The complete list for the 2013 Ward's 10 Best Engines honors is below.

Audi 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6
BMW 2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4
BMW 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6
Chrysler 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6
Ford 2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4
Ford 5.8L Supercharged DOHC V-8
Cadillac 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4
Honda 2.4L DOHC I-4
Honda 3.5L SOHC V-6
Subaru 2.0L FA DOHC H-4 Boxer

I think CR uses sound methodologies and bases their ratings on testing. BUT their testing is subjective, and CR certainly has their favorites. I feel that the subjective nature of their testing and their preconceived favorites do play a role in their final ratings. But the reason I posted the article is not because I have any issue with CR, they are entitled to their opinions. I found the article by Forbes interesting due to the fact that Forbes just used the CR reports to beat up on any vehicles that Forbes readers were unlikely to own. My gut feeling is that there are some vehicles, possibly even based on CR ratings, that were omitted. I could be wrong, but that was the feeling that I got.

Peace.

You might want to read the following article:

http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

All car owners are not alike, and they can have personality traits that directly influence their choice of vehicle, their vehicle expectations, and how they subsequently treat and maintain their cars. Consumer Reports does not control for this kind of systematic error in their surveys. (As far as we know, nobody does, so it's more of a "heads up" than a criticism). Perhaps a statistical analysis one year could accompany the reviews with a footnote given when reviews are quoted.

Part of the problem is many owners fail to note the difference between "repairing a part" that failed and "routine maintenance" when reporting a "problem" to CR. Nor does CR define what a problem vs a "serious" problem or what criteria earns a black dot.

CR is IMHO far from objective and is very subjective in their reporting.