Forbes says avoid the DJ.

I have mixed feelings about our Journey and the article. First this article slams handling and says it feels larger than it is, but other reviews have said the exact opposite with the 2011 refresh. Ours is basically a "mom" car, the reason she liked it is because it was a bit narrower than other midsize crossovers, makes her feel more confident driving/parking around the city. It is a bit longer, encroaching on Durango length, though, which could be why some would complain about it. But for its footprint size, I think it handles fine.

Also I can understand how some are annoyed with the 4 cyl/4 spd setup, but that's a big reason it's a best buy. The engine isn't refined but I still think it's slightly quieter than a Duratec 2.5, not quite as good as an Ecotec 2.4 though. I admit the transmission felt pretty awkward as it was breaking in but after about 9000 miles the torque convertor knows what to do, and the bump-shifts smoothed out. Cruising at highway speeds is fine. Reliability as a workhorse for getting from point A to point B has been 100%. I especially like the way it rides on the highway.

As far as quality goes, can't say I've been 100% pleased. The clock runs 5 minutes fast per month and no TSB has fixed that. Every once in awhile the cruise control does not want to turn on immediately-- there may be a reason (ESC?) for this though. The CD player ate a CD and died after 1 year, however with that fix we got a free year of XM. Also during its 2nd summer, the AC system was not cooling properly. The dealer said it wasn't charged properly @ the factory so they evacuated the system and recharged it, which seemed to fix it but we'll see what happens this summer. A few months ago the vehicle has developed a clunking sound at the driver side tire if you go from R-N-D-N-R etc, or if you feather the gas, coast, feather the gas, etc in any gear. When it did this initially I tightened the lug nuts (which weren't tightened properly at the factory), which solved it. The noise has come back and now I've read something about a axle/hub nut chronically coming loose on Avengers and Journeys. Having worked in a shop for a few years and understanding how everything is put together, it doesn't seem like a big deal yet. I'm going to inspect it and put a torque wrench on it when I rotate the tires. If that doesn't solve it, it's going back to the dealership. Overall I think the vehicle is comfortable, drives & rides well, great vehicle for our family with small children, but quality has been a bit of a let-down. Electronics glitches are somewhat forgivable but the others are a disappointment. Since the drivetrain seems solid, I'm thinking most likely if I can nip the glitches during the warranty period everything should remain trouble free afterwards.

My Intrepid that I traded in at 231k miles was like that. It had a few initial glitches that were fixed under warranty, then it was ultra-reliable afterwards, then at about 225k about a dozen things started malfunctioning at once.

Edited by tstone

Every once in awhile the cruise control does not want to turn on immediately-- there may be a reason (ESC?) for this though.

My 2011 did this. CC worked intermittently at first, then just stopped working altogether. Dealer initially replaced the steering wheel switch. Worked for about 1 day. Finally ended up replacing the SCCM (steering column control module). Has worked perfectly since. Maybe take it to your dealer and have them replace your SCCM. I got the feeling that the job was a little involved. Wouldn't want to have to pay for that after warranty ends. . . Good Luck.

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

The only real complaint my wife and I have with the Journey is that it is a little hard to get out of. You have to step out quite a ways which is no big problem. Our last vehicle was a '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we could step right out of. If you have been driving in snow and or mud, if you are not careful, you will get it on the back of your pants when you get out of the Journey.

Other than that, we are very happy with the DJ. Our Jeep was taken from us by a wrong way driver. The DJ is filling it's shoes quite nicely.

• 4 weeks later...
The only real complaint my wife and I have with the Journey is that it is a little hard to get out of. You have to step out quite a ways which is no big problem. Our last vehicle was a '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we could step right out of. If you have been driving in snow and or mud, if you are not careful, you will get it on the back of your pants when you get out of the Journey.

Other than that, we are very happy with the DJ. Our Jeep was taken from us by a wrong way driver. The DJ is filling it's shoes quite nicely.

I can agree with the "stepping out" issue. We had a Jeep Commander (gone for the Journey) and have a RAM 2500 HD and both of them, despite being higher off the ground are easier to get into and out of. After two days we finally realized what was wrong...the Journey's grab handle (above the door) is in the wrong spot. The Jeep and RAM have the grab handle on the windshield pillar; a much easier spot to grab with better leverage and control for getting in and out compared to the useless grab handle above your head. You can do pull ups with it, but, it does absolutely no good for entry and exit from the vehicle being above and behind your head...

DodgeCares: Maybe the design engineers could consider a change for next year, I know I'm going to look into adding something aftermarket to the pillar for easing entry and exit when the weather warms up a bit. I do, however, have the cleanest rocker panels in the parking lot when we go shopping though...

I can agree with the "stepping out" issue. We had a Jeep Commander (gone for the Journey) and have a RAM 2500 HD and both of them, despite being higher off the ground are easier to get into and out of. After two days we finally realized what was wrong...the Journey's grab handle (above the door) is in the wrong spot. The Jeep and RAM have the grab handle on the windshield pillar; a much easier spot to grab with better leverage and control for getting in and out compared to the useless grab handle above your head. You can do pull ups with it, but, it does absolutely no good for entry and exit from the vehicle being above and behind your head...

DodgeCares: Maybe the design engineers could consider a change for next year, I know I'm going to look into adding something aftermarket to the pillar for easing entry and exit when the weather warms up a bit. I do, however, have the cleanest rocker panels in the parking lot when we go shopping though...

My understanding was that there will be no 2014 DJ - we're supposed to get something designed out of Italy to replace it (heaven help us all).

My understanding was that there will be no 2014 DJ - we're supposed to get something designed out of Italy to replace it (heaven help us all).

Although, I do love that traditional SUV style the DJ has all other car companies have redesigned their SUV's to that rounded bubbly look....With Dodge using Italian designers which are among the best in the world how can that be a bad thing?

• 1 month later...

Adding a couple more annoyances that have sprung up...

The USB port in the console is dead. Haven't checked the Aux plug yet.

On the driver seat, the bolster pad on the right (console) side seems to have fallen off the seat frame. So it is noticably bulging out if you look at it from the rear, and the arm rest rubs it when you lift it up. You can feel the metal seat frame with your shoulder if you lean back. I can't seem to grab the seat pad properly to hook it back onto the frame, so possibly an internal support piece fell off or wasn't even there to begin with. Pretty sad considering a 135 lb woman drives it.

Also still an intermittent problem (maybe 10% of the time) is the cruise control not working and the cruise buttons sometimes doing strange things.

And the clunk/tap at one axle when shifting from N to D or R, or feathering the gas from a coast in any gear. That hasn't gotten any better or worse.

Looks like now with these 4 issues, a visit to the dealership is in the works. Although it still runs fine, I think Forbes is onto something. Vehicles nowadays all startup the first time and run fine; it's the small details that make it or break it on reviews. And I've never had a car with so many glitches.

• 7 months later...

Apparently it is defined as a truck. If you go to wallyworld and use their little "parts finder" electronic catalog in the automotive section, the Journey shows up under the "Dodge Truck" heading. Makes no difference to me. We are on our second DJ. Love it.

It's interesting that there continues to be negative comments with Big Three products and particularly Chrysler, most likely by the parrots who've never owned one. During our Canada/U.S. tour earlier this year, we covered over 8,400 miles. We noticed that the majority and I mean a vast majority of the trucks hauling BIG trailers and campers and construction equipment, were Dodge, Ford and GM pickups. Sure we saw a lot of fancy imported Mall Crawlers hauling passengers but people seem to be more particular when it comes to choosing their work horse. Some good news to ponder- check the 2014 Cunsumer Guide Automotive "Best Buy" awards. The Journey was one of five Chrysler models to make the list!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101166673

• 1 month later...