Gas mileage

bigroo

So I got this baby for gas mileage, and it does fine. Just wondering what everyone else is getting. I have a 3.5l sxt fwd, and i get 19 on the display, but when i figure by odometer, i get 22 mpg. Not too bad, but I want MORE!!! I have a customer that claims 37 on the highway with his 2.4, but I don't know about that. So please share...

• 2 weeks later...

I now have over 4000 miles on my SXT and my mileage has improved quite a bit. I hit 29 mpg (CDN gal) on the highway on a recent 1000 mile trip. During the trip, I covered mostly good roads but also hit some poorly paved and dirt roads. The Journey handled ok and I was very satisfied overall with the mileage I was getting.

• 2 months later...

Hi coming from south Germany and living in a city with 600.000 people.

Have no big experience on our Journey 2.4 MT (Manual Transmission), also 170PS as the US AT version, because we drive it only since 5 weeks and have just low kilometers on it. Last tankful was driven only under city conditions - engine don´t gets operation temperature and stop and go traffic etc. - so my consumption is about 19,4 mpg (12,2l per 100 km).

But I think after some more kilometers consumption will drop down - will see what will happen when we get a better city/country road/highway-mix.

At least one personally comment from my side - why you all wanna drive a Journey 6-cylinder? The Journey is no sportscar and in times of permanently fuel price increasing we all should look to more economic engines. The 6-cylinder is more comfortable - YES - but the 4 cylinder is doing the same good work. And you drive on your highways only 60 or 70 mph maximum.

Around my city directly the highways are limited between 62,5 and 75 miles, but then after some kilometers many highways are open and if traffic allows we drive normally 90-100mpg, sometimes if we want up 117,5 or what else is the maximum speed.

I don´t want to give you instructions, but in this times all commodities getting more and more expensive (for fuel, heating etc.) and our fuel prices are much higher than yours. So it´s time to use new technologies which give us more savings.

Why would I want a V-6? My Journey has become a tailgaiting vehicle. We inserted a tray into the hitch and tied down a cooler, tent, and about 10 chairs. Then we load up six or seven pwople and all their stuff. Also, just last week, I hooked up to a trailer and hauled about 15 bails of hay.

I chose the V-6 because I need the V-6. Does that help?

@ crh47 and EMSBronco

Sorry that my words arrived so partial - I´ve never affirmed that they are many reasons to drive a 6 cylinder or an AWD.

But you will agree to the fact that many people drives a 6 CYL, even they do not need it really, only because it´s more comfortable and has more torque - but because they never drove something else they "feel" the 4 cylinder to weak.

So guys don´t worry - it was nothing against you or 6 cylinders.

Also here in Germany many people drives VW Touareg, Mercedes ML class, BMW X3/X5 all with 6 cylinders and also many of the with AWD - and in the city you don´t need it for sure.

So keep a good drive with your Journeys - we like ours.

@ crh47 and EMSBronco

Sorry that my words arrived so partial - I´ve never affirmed that they are many reasons to drive a 6 cylinder or an AWD.

But you will agree to the fact that many people drives a 6 CYL, even they do not need it really, only because it´s more comfortable and has more torque - but because they never drove something else they "feel" the 4 cylinder to weak.

So guys don´t worry - it was nothing against you or 6 cylinders.

Also here in Germany many people drives VW Touareg, Mercedes ML class, BMW X3/X5 all with 6 cylinders and also many of the with AWD - and in the city you don´t need it for sure.

So keep a good drive with your Journeys - we like ours.

You also have the luxury of diesel availability-it would be a nice thing here to @ least have the choice

You also have the luxury of diesel availability-it would be a nice thing here to @ least have the choice

@ larryl

From the economic side thats the best solution, but the 2.0 CRD (Volkswagen TDI) together with the DSG is no succesful solution because not working good together (engine had to work on wrong high/low level because DSG switched not early enough up or downj.

And this engine has again less power (140PS). Some guys here in Germany made a engine tuning which gives +30-35PS and more than +50NM. Was told that after this engine and DSG fits better together.

My decision for the 2.4 (we don´t have the 3.5 - would never buy it - see statement above) was because we run really low kilometers on our Journey. The Diesel ist more expensive, difference between gas and diesel price is now only a few cents, tax and insurance are higher than for the the gasoline modell. So you get only a benefit if you run many kilometers per year. In the USA where you have to bridge really long distances compared to our little Germany this would be not only nice - this would make really sense for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So I got this baby for gas mileage, and it does fine. Just wondering what everyone else is getting. I have a 3.5l sxt fwd, and i get 19 on the display, but when i figure by odometer, i get 22 mpg. Not too bad, but I want MORE!!! I have a customer that claims 37 on the highway with his 2.4, but I don't know about that. So please share...

I have the RT and get about 21 on average. I do a lot of HWY driving. I am curious. What gas are you folks using? I have been using 87 since 87 or 89 is allowed. Every once in a while it will idle a little rough. Wondering if I will get better milage using 89.

I have the RT and get about 21 on average. I do a lot of HWY driving. I am curious. What gas are you folks using? I have been using 87 since 87 or 89 is allowed. Every once in a while it will idle a little rough. Wondering if I will get better milage using 89.

Our Journey is an SXT w AWD, 3.5l engine. Just returned from a 500 mile trip - all freeway driving. We got 23.1 mpg on the way out and 25.0 mpg on the way back (per the EVIC).

I used 89 octane gas because the price difference was minimal. The car had only 200 miles at the start of the trip.

I used speed control most of the way and set the speed between 65 - 70 mph (yes, I'm retired and wasn't in a hurry).

Since the advertised mpg for the AWD is 22 highway, and we got a max of 25, I'm very satisfied.

• 2 months later...

Just purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey RT 2.0L Diesel (in Australia) on the weekend and driven it 60km city driving and 300km country (total 225 MILES) has returned 7.2l/100km or 39.5mpg and its meant to get better as the engine is run in. Power seems fine for small motor. Haven't used the first tank of Diesel yet!

If I am to believe the computer (on-board) it's currently showing 25.5 This after a 500 mile weekend and did include some traffic jams ( I-65 Indiana ) on the way down. My Journey is now a getting better average than the T-n-C I let go for this. (23.5)

I don't have very many miles on mine yet, but I filled it up when there was about 3/4 of a tank left. For the first 150 miles, mostly city I got about 19 mpg. Then for the next 150, all highway miles (with cruise on 65) I got 26 mpg. I would like to see a slight improvement around the city.

Chris

On my Trip to and From FL I got 23.6 MPG (>1,700 miles). :fool: Not what I'd hoped. I can normally always beat the EPA ratings, but not in this vehicle. The Wife's Patriot with th3 4cyl gets 27+ on a similar trip.

my journey always get 25-29 mpg pure highway drive but city driving is crazy only 13mpg