Nav screen goes blank

• 1 month later...

When I had the TGM module replaced in March, I said that everything was working fine. Well, I spoke to soon, about two weeks later, other problems arose. Sorry for not posting about these earlier.

1. Navigation image on screen is jerky and does to keep up to the vehicle. I will be passed an intersection physically, but the screen shows I haven't even arrived at the intersection. When turning, I am on the street I turned on to, but the screen still shows I'm on the street I have been on, and then it makes a sharp turn. On entrance ramps, I'm in the middle of fields/

2. Voice commands for IPOD not recognized. Will get reply- "command not understood", "updating catalogue". It doesn't matter if I'm in the vehicle for half and hour or two or three hours.

3. Entire screen went blank for about two minutes. A message came up to contact dealer, the screen came back on.

So I drove it to the dealer, they checked it out and said there is a fix for it. Apparently a disk will be sent to them. I drop into the dealer and ask if they have received the disk, no, it should be here next week. Well this has been going on for close to six weeks.

I still love my Journey, but am getting a little ticked at not being able to use the features that I paid for. So, I demanded another new unit, I told them I shouldn't have to put with a unit that works worse then the one they replaced, but they keep saying that they have to wait for the "fix" to arrive as its coming from the manufacturer of the radio unit.

DodgeCaCares, can you PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the navigation problems continue. On the 21st of this month, Chrysler, with help from DodgeCaCares (Chris) and my service rep at the dealer where I bought my vehicle, replaced the second unit that was installed at the beginning of March. The navigation unit did not work properly from day one of installation. I was told that a fix was on its way and when it dragged on into the beginning of May, I told them there is no fix on the way, put in a new unit. Well the supplier finally admitted, no fix was available.

So now, a third unit has been installed. I didn't want to come on to the forum right away and say everything was OK, I wanted to give it some time to see if any problems arose. Everything appeared fine with the navigation, when I would turn a corner, the screen had a nice smooth transition as the unit was keeping up with the vehicle. When I would put in a destination, when a turn was required, the voice would tell me BEFORE I got to the intersection, beautiful, the second unit that was installed, would tell me to turn AFTER I passed the intersection.

An old problem surfaced with the new unit in regards to the IPOD. When requesting a song, it would go to that song but immediately go to the next song. Great, had the problem fixed on original unit, so I go in on Friday to get the flash update that fixed the problem in the original unit.

Now lets come to this evening. For those who live in the Greater Vancouver area, will understand my problem, better then others on the forum, as one would have to be familiar with the area to really see my problem and frustration. I leave the golf course on # 6 Road and travel south towards the George Massey Tunnel. Thought it was a good time to check the navigation and the auto on headlight feature and the auto dimming of the screen. Since it wasn't dusk yet, the auto on headlights would come in the tunnel and then turn off when I exit the tunnel. My original problem had to do with losing map detail when lights would turn off.

Well, I didn't even make it to the tunnel, when I stopped at the end of # 6 Rd. at Steveston Hwy to turn right, the arrow is no where close to Steveston Hwy. When I turned right the arrow was about 1 inch over to the right on the screen, no where close to the road I am travelling on. I turn left to go through the tunnel, and the arrow is now to the left of the freeway about an inch to the left. Well the auto on auto off feature didn't effect the map display all map data was still there.

Now this is where it really gets interesting. As I exit the tunnel, I am driving in a south east direction on Hwy 99. The nav screen shows the arrow off to the left of the freeway, I'm driving across the farmers fields, direction indicates I'm driving east when in fact I am driving southeast. Eventually, the freeway disappears from the screen as the arrow is moving east and not southeast. When I get to the highway 91 interchange, the message at the top of the screen is saying I am driving on Colebrook Rd which is about 1 KM north (.6 mile). At the 32nd Ave exit, all of a sudden the screen is showing me on the exit. OK, looks, like its fixed itself. Not quite. Arrow is still not on road I'm travelling (32nd Ave). I pass 160th street and all of a sudden, the massage at the top of the screen says I'm travelling on north on 160th St, when in fact I am travelling East on 32nd Ave. The screen itself is stuck with the arrow pointing north on 160th St, but south of 32nd Ave and its not moving. When I get to 192nd St and 32nd Ave, the arrow is now on 32nd Ave, but is way behind where I am. As get to 196th St, the arrow shows me crossing 192nd St and when I get to 192nd St the arrow shows me crossing 196th St. Well at least the arrow has me driving on 32nd Ave. When I get to my turn at 200th St, I turn left, and the nav screen is still way off in its positioning. When I cross 36th Ave its still showing me crossing 33a Ave. When I get home and I am sitting in my driveway, the arrow is about a block behind.

So, now I in the driveway, and make the mistake of turning the vehicle off. I was going to have Mrs DoubleO7, come along for a ride and take some screen shots of the nav screen, so I have visual proof that there is still a problem. Of course now the screen works fine again. Turning the system off to reset is not always an option when travelling on a freeway, and is not a solution to a problem. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I may be driving to Toronto later this year and not having a system that isn't reliable is not acceptable.

For those members who may be getting a new Journey in the future and are thinking of getting the nav, don't let my experience stop you from ordering, with the way things are going, I should have all the defective units out of circulation soon. B)

Only one three weeks until one year review. Stay tuned.

Edited by doubleO7

While your problem certainly sounds like a combo of software and hardware issues, have you checked the compass setting to make sure that is not adding to your problem? I know that my DJ compass setting had been reset to factory settings after a software update and my directions were all wrong. While I think your problem is more involved, I would check the compass setting if you have not already done so.

Also, not sure what a TGM module is, but I would also have them check the GPS antenna or whatever controls the communication of your position to the unconnect NAV computer if that has not already been done. I'm really not sure how these systems actually work, but that's why there are dodge service folks.

Keep taking it back for service until it works to your satisfaction. I think many dealers rely on the fact that some customers just give up on problems and then just live with them. Good Luck.

Peace.

Thanks Redtomatoman for your input. Greatly appreciated.

And yes, it will be fixed to my satisfaction. Stopping to reset something is not a fix, just a bandage solution to a problem.

My compass settings were fine for 10 days after installation of the new unit, it just went haywire out of the blue. But even when the compass setting was indicating the proper direction, the on screen display was 1/2 mile behind where I actually was. That's very disconcerning.

I have called DodgeCaCares this morning and have left a message. When I talk to him personally, I will mention your ideas.

Today I took the Journey in to have the Navigation looked at because of what happened a couple of days ago. Before leaving the driveway, I decided to turn on the Nav screen to see if I was going to get a accurate showing of where I was (see previous post for problem), and guess what. BLANK SCREEN. No maps, all other data present. At least this time was able to pull onto a side street and take a photo with my phone.

Result is, they are now going to order a third unit as engineering is stumped, so that will be four units in less then a year. Despite the problems, I haven't come to dislike my Journey, just disappointed that so much of my time is being taken up with a problem that just won't seem to go away.

Redtomatoman, I reiterated what you said in your post, about other potential areas that could be the cause of the problems I've encountered. It just doesn't make sense to me that every unit they have put in has been defective. If that was the case, I'm sure they would have had more cases like mine. At this point I am hoping that its a co-incidence that I got defective units, and the next one works properly.

DoubleO7

I am sorry to hear you continue to have the same issue. I as you know have the exact same issue. I have posted pictures of mine before acting up. Mine does a similar wandering from time to time where it does not show me where I am accuratly.

I think our journeys were both built near the same date. My build date was Feb 13 2012. Maybe there was an issue for units made at that time.

I was hoping they had fixed your issue and I could let my dealer know what you had found as a fix.

My dealer is still working a front end rubber crunching noise that drives me nuts when I go over a bump. So far they did the upper strut bearings and it still is noisy.

Still love the vehicle though.

• Official Dodge Support

DoubleO7

I am sorry to hear you continue to have the same issue. I as you know have the exact same issue. I have posted pictures of mine before acting up. Mine does a similar wandering from time to time where it does not show me where I am accuratly.

I think our journeys were both built near the same date. My build date was Feb 13 2012. Maybe there was an issue for units made at that time.

I was hoping they had fixed your issue and I could let my dealer know what you had found as a fix.

My dealer is still working a front end rubber crunching noise that drives me nuts when I go over a bump. So far they did the upper strut bearings and it still is noisy.

air1rfc

Do you know if your DLR has contacted our Technical Services Support Group yet ? If not, i'd say speak with the Service Manager at the dealer and see what's going on.

Yesterday as i turned on my engine on journey my navigation said that i have to upgrade it.

The question is how can i upgrade it. I giess i have to take it to the dealer! I wanna know that if its for free or should i have to pay for it! I believe its still under warranty!

Its 2012 journey..

Yesterday as i turned on my engine on journey my navigation said that i have to upgrade it.

The question is how can i upgrade it. I giess i have to take it to the dealer! I wanna know that if its for free or should i have to pay for it! I believe its still under warranty!

Its 2012 journey..

Chris

I rather doubt that the dealership will cover (have been wrong before) the upgrade cost whether the car is under warranty or not. Case in point, if you bought a new computer would the computer company pay for an upgrade to your Windows 7 to Windows 8 or Office?

I have a Navteq system in my 2010 while you have a Garmin in your car. Essentially they are the same. Just so you know it costs $200 everytime I want to upgrade my system. When I was upgrading a Navteq Customer Service Rep told me that every other upgrade is really all that is needed.

It's rather ironic but the portable Garmin 250W that I use in my Sky has a lifetime update that I bought when I bought the unit. I have about 2-3 upgrades per year that are basically free. I asked about getting a lifetime upgrade in my car and they told me it wasn't available.This may have changed now. I will post a link to a previous thread here about this subject.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

The nav software upgrades have reported here NOT to be free,

of course unless you live in an area that has heavy development

roads don't change all that much over 2-3 yrs.

I would guess points of interest/service industry would be the

things that need updating most often.

• Official Dodge Support

Its 2012 journey..

Chris1276,

It would be worth giving your dealer a quick call to make sure this it is in fact an update that is needed, I've seen a few cases where there were other concerns. Definitely don't want to raise any red flags but that's where I'd start and then go from there.

DoubleO7

Air1rfc

My build date is around Apr/May, but having said that, the component that includes the Nav. probably came off the same assembly line from the supplier. I was musing this over just yesterday as if there was a flaw from the factory and that everytime they put in a new unit, it may be from the same manufacture date. Each unit they have installed has had a different Navigation problem: no maps on original unit and number three, navigation location lagging behind vehicle on the second one and very inaccurate locations in relation to where I was driving on the 3rd one, all the units including the fourth have a problem with the my IPOD. When I request a song, it goes to that song, but immediately skips to the next. So this tells me they have probably came of the same assembly line.

If others are having the problem, it would be nice if they reported it, so Chrysler can see there is a problem and maybe a permanent fix can be found.

I will be going in on Tuesday to get the fix for the IPOD problem, as this problem was rectified with the first and second installs. The third only lasted a week, before they decided to install another unit, so there was no update done on it.

So far the the latest Nav. unit seems to be working fine, but its only been a few days.

One year owner review coming up in 4 days.

• 2 years later...

Hello;

Just found this forum. I have a 2012 Journey and this morning the 'radio' screen, as I don't know what else to call it was fine. Went to work, came out at lunch to head off and the radio screen never came on, and hasn't come on since. I shut the vehicle off and let it sit for a bit before turning it on - nothing. The rest of the dash is fine eg. speedometer etc. But I have no climate control or anything on this other screen. Help!!

Welcome to the forum.

First of all, I suggest that you'll get more input if you open your own topic - piggybacking on another is bad form and besides, your problem isn't the same as what's been described.

Your problem can be one of many things - the backlighting or some associated circuitry may have gone bad; the connector may have come loose; a fuse could have blown or your radio could simply be weird (can you get music from the system? Does the aircon not work at all? Or do you simply have no access via the touchscreen)?

The first thing I would suggest is that you disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and then reconnect it to see if it just glitched.

My apologies in regards to opening my own topic/piggybacking. I truly do not have a clue what to do when it comes to these forums as I've never been on one before. I didn't even know if my message would post or not. I will try to and figure out how to open a new topic, I just wasn't sure if the navigation system being discussed is part and parcel of this same screen area. No I can't get music from the system and the aircon does not work, the fan button below the screen works but that's it, oh it will suck a cd in but can't get it out then. No access to the touch screen.

Thank you branfrank for your response and suggestions. I'm kind of flying solo on this so I really appreciate your response.

My apologies in regards to opening my own topic/piggybacking. I truly do not have a clue what to do when it comes to these forums as I've never been on one before. I didn't even know if my message would post or not. I will try to and figure out how to open a new topic, I just wasn't sure if the navigation system being discussed is part and parcel of this same screen area. No I can't get music from the system and the aircon does not work, the fan button below the screen works but that's it, oh it will suck a cd in but can't get it out then. No access to the touch screen.

Thank you branfrank for your response and suggestions. I'm kind of flying solo on this so I really appreciate your response.

No need to apologize. He was just saying that your will get better responses in your own topic as it won't be cluttered with other post and information not pertinent to your issue.

• 11 months later...

Has a fix been found for the blank map issue?  Today is the first time I've ever seen it.   Of course as I'm driving to SC to visit my brother.  The info screen still shows turn alerts and it still shows exits on the main screen as well.   Gotta be a software hiccup.   I haven't had the opportunity to stop and shut the car off yet.  So unsure if that will fix it.   I noticed it got stuck on calculating this AM before we left so I cancelled and then tried again. It got me started on my trip but sans maps lol!

image.jpeg