Hi & Sorry if this has been covered..I did a search and didnt really find the answers I was looking for.

I recently purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey with the Factory GPS system built in. The POI's need a serious update.

I cant be the one and only person to ever call a dealership and ask about the update...Am I?

Because all of the dealerships seem to have no clue what to do..they just say..

1.) You need to buy a CD to do that we dont sell them.

2.) You have to have that done in our Service department, they dont make CD's anymore. (in which service says...You need to call parts, back. They sell you a CD)

3.) You do it yourself, its an over the air update. Just choose to update it. (this option doesnt exsist)

So hoping someone can help out here =)

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Carlcas

I decided to update my gps . . . www.garmin.com/chrysler/

I am disappointed in the update (it installs O.K) its just that they could do a much better job for updating roads and POI in Canada. I used it in Ottawa and found that an address I entered which went by the U.S. embassy and the road disappeared, entances to some places were out of date. Gas stations in Toronto which are non existent and have been for a few years apparently according to a city dweller, and some roads in newer subdivisions that have been around for a couple of years are not available. I also have a portable garmin device and have the lifetime update 4x's per year and I think it is more up to date. And for all Tim Horton's lovers - not up to date and could be included in POI without having to type it in!!

Stretch

Its probably very hard for the mapping companies to keep things up to date, especially with points of interest and new streets and since they have to all of North America its going to take time.

I also have a portable Garmin, with lifetime map updates. Here in the lower mainland of BC, Hwy # 1 is going through a major upgrade, new bridge, more lanes, new entrance and exit ramps, some existing entrance and exit ramps are being revised, so until I see these on my portable garmin, I won't be spending the money on an upgrade to the built in GPS.

In the past I have contacted Navteq about inaccuracies with their maps. For example, when I would be nearing my house, it would say " you have arrived" one block before I was actually home. This has been corrected, at least I am on the right block now and about 50 meters (165 ft) from home when I have arrived.

I have also sent them a copy of a municipal map for a small communty in BC, where they listed the Hwy #, which changed to a street name within the city limits of the small community, therefore I couldn't input the address I wanted.

If your interested, here is the Navteq website, you could send them a list of service stations that no longer exist, new Tim Horton locations (you would need the street address) http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en#home?isReloaded=true

That was a interesting obersvation about the road around the US embassy. Could be a security related, maybe the streets around the Embassy were removed; maybe requested by the US government? Have you tried entering in the US Embassy address to see what happens?

OOOPS, Navteq has changed the site since I was there last. When it asks what type of navigation system you have, when you select Factory installed, then Dodge, then Journey, the only nav system listed is what I believe is for the 2009/10 Journeys. Garmin doesn't show up. I don't see what type of the type of system in the vehicle would make a difference, but I decided to do my changes using my portable Garmin as my default system.

I honestly don't know why they would ask for this info, a map change is a map change regardless of Nav system in vehicle. :headscratch:

Hi guys...Thanks for the replies.

I was able to find out that Navteq is the company and that I can order a CD direct, and they provided me with a number to give a dealer to order if I choose to go that way.

Some helpful information to share though...

The rep from Navteq didnt offer any information other then the price and part number for direct order. ($190)

My rep at the dealership that called to order it, However was told by his rep..that the CD they are offering me is almost 1.5 years old...and that he recommended I wait till November or December as they are coming out with a new update.

I will wait =)

Thanks again for the help guys!!

• 1 month later...
My rep at the dealership that called to order it, However was told by his rep..that the CD they are offering me is almost 1.5 years old...and that he recommended I wait till November or December as they are coming out with a new update.

FWIW I was told by a Navteq rep who I felt was being very honest with me at the time, that really all that was needed was an update every other time.

Terry

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We've had our 2012 Journey for about 6 months and already the warning that our mapping software is out of date popped up yesterday. I wonder if it will already cost us the $190 upgrade fee if we elect to go that route? That sure seems pretty hefty since I paid something like $80 for lifetime updatef for my Garmin Nuvi stand alone unit.

Will this "Out of date" warning continue to pop up every time we turn the unit on? If so, is there a way to override the warning?

Thanks in advance

I wonder if it will already cost us the $190 upgrade fee if we elect to go that route? That sure seems pretty hefty since I paid something like $80 for lifetime updatef for my Garmin Nuvi stand alone unit.

I have maintained that for several years. IMO the unit we have in our vehicles seems to be a cash grab for Navteq or Garmin.

I have a 2010 Journey which uses a Navteq system which I believe is the parent company of Garmin (somebody corrected me on this before) I also have a lifetime warranty on my portable Garmin Nuvi and IMO it is just as good or better than what I have in my car. It offers probably what amounts to 4 upgrades per year although they are very time consuming to download (I do it at night) they are much newer than what I have in my car.At the moment I feel I can trust my portable Nuvi more than I can the expensive GPS unit in my vehicle.

Last week I upgraded my system by visiting the website Dodgecacares mentioned for $149 for a one time upgrade. When I upgraded in May 2011 the Navteq rep confided in me that really all that was needed is to upgrade every 2nd one and they were sure it would be fine. Another thing it said on my invoice 2011 Maps, today is December 12th 2012 soon to be 2013. Is this the newest map they have? I have an email into them but as of yet have not received a reply, I am interested to hear their response.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this Topic...As I stated earlier the rep told me to get back with them in November or December for an update....And its almost here! =) I contacted them recently and this is the reply I got...

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ Maps. The latest disc for your 2009 Dodge Journey is version U3541-0075-203. This update has not been released yet; however, we are expecting it to be available within the next few weeks. Once available, this can be ordered online by visiting our web store at http://www.navteq.com/store.

I didn't realise they are shipping out a disc. The website is confusing. It said on my email "electronic delivery" so I was expecting a download link. Apparently when I called they said it's a disc. I guess it's free shipping then.

Yes it is. I just did the same thing, when it said "electronic delivery" I was thinking the same thing. Hard to believe that 2011 is the newest map they have.

terry

FYI, for anybody with a 2011-2012 with the 8.4N radio, the 2013 map update is available for sale on www.navigation.com for $149 + shipping and taxes.

From the website, this update is compatible with the following vehicles that have either the 430N or 8.4N (both Garmin nav) radios:

• Chrysler 200 (2011-12)
  • Chrysler 200 Convertible (2011-12)
  • Chrysler 300 (2011-12)
  • Chrysler Town & Country (2011-12)
  • Dodge Avenger (2011-12)
  • Dodge Caliber (2011-12)
  • Dodge Challenger (2011-12)
  • Dodge Charger (2011-12)
  • Dodge Durango (2011-12)
  • Dodge Grand Caravan (2011-12)
  • Dodge Journey (2011-12)
  • Dodge Nitro (2011)
  • RAM 1500 (2011-12)
  • RAM 2500/3500 (2011-12)
  • RAM 3500 Cab Chassis (2012)
  • RAM 4500/5500 (2012)
  • Jeep Compass (2011-12)
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee (2011-12)
  • Jeep Liberty (2011-12)
  • Jeep Patriot (2011-12)
  • Jeep Wrangler (2011-12)

The website also says that the 2009/2010 Journey with the REU radio has a 2013 update available, also for $149 + shipping and taxes.

Edited by drb227

Received the disc yesterday. It's a two step process. One disc to update the navigation radio software and the second disc to update the actual map software. The first update took around 10 minutes. I don't see what changed. Maybe some bug fixes. There is still a problem with the East/West arrow orientation being reversed. The North/South orientation is correct. The manual is confusing as it says you can turn off the radio to interrupt the process if you need to and it will resume where it left off. I didn't interrupt the radio update as it seems to be updating the firmware.

As for the map update. It's taking awhile. I interrupted it yesterday and it did resume where it left off when I came back to use the car. However this morning it did not resume. It's stuck somewhere and not being functional. Will see again later otherwise it will have to go see a dealer to reset it. So warning to you guys. Make sure you have at least an hour to spare to complete the full two stage update.

Can someone with a 2009 - 2010 REU Nav unit please post your "Application", "Database", and Gracenotes Version. I forgot to record mine before the update.

The info is found under Menu - System Information:

After the update I have:

Application Version: 8.316

Database Version: RS20 - N 1216 3.3.0

Gracenotes: 2057

I don't know how extensive the update was including if they upgraded the Gracenotes file.

Thanks in advance.

I visited Garmin's website to check on the update. A warning listed there says the map update is only for RHB and RB5 units and claims that number should be on the lower right corner of the radio...Unless I'm blind it's not on mine. Does anyone have a clue whare these numbers are?

FYI, for anybody with a 2011-2012 with the 8.4N radio, the 2013 map update is available for sale on www.navigation.com for $149 + shipping and taxes.

From the website, this update is compatible with the following vehicles that have either the 430N or 8.4N (both Garmin nav) radios:

• Chrysler 200 (2011-12)
  • Chrysler 200 Convertible (2011-12)
  • Chrysler 300 (2011-12)
  • Chrysler Town & Country (2011-12)
  • Dodge Avenger (2011-12)
  • Dodge Caliber (2011-12)
  • Dodge Challenger (2011-12)
  • Dodge Charger (2011-12)
  • Dodge Durango (2011-12)
  • Dodge Grand Caravan (2011-12)
  • Dodge Journey (2011-12)
  • Dodge Nitro (2011)
  • RAM 1500 (2011-12)
  • RAM 2500/3500 (2011-12)
  • RAM 3500 Cab Chassis (2012)
  • RAM 4500/5500 (2012)
  • Jeep Compass (2011-12)
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee (2011-12)
  • Jeep Liberty (2011-12)
  • Jeep Patriot (2011-12)
  • Jeep Wrangler (2011-12)

The website also says that the 2009/2010 Journey with the REU radio has a 2013 update available, also for $149 + shipping and taxes.