Nav screen goes blank

Today, I put my nav on so I could compare the speed displayed on the EVIC with the Nav unit as I put on my snow tires which are on 17" rims. Everything was fine, mapping data showed speed, elevation and map of area, then all of a sudden the map screen went blank. I could still see speed and elevation, but no map.

When I got home, after I turned the vehicle off and then restarted, when I switched to the Nav screen, the map re-appeared.

I looked through this thread to see if anybody else has experienced this problem, but couldn't find anything. Has anybody else experienced this? Not sure if its just a one time thing, but will keep (if you will excuse the expression) an eye on it.

DodgeCares or DodgeCaCares any suggestions or bulletins I should now about?

Regards

DoubleO7

• Official Dodge Support

Today, I put my nav on so I could compare the speed displayed on the EVIC with the Nav unit as I put on my snow tires which are on 17" rims. Everything was fine, mapping data showed speed, elevation and map of area, then all of a sudden the map screen went blank. I could still see speed and elevation, but no map.

When I got home, after I turned the vehicle off and then restarted, when I switched to the Nav screen, the map re-appeared.

I looked through this thread to see if anybody else has experienced this problem, but couldn't find anything. Has anybody else experienced this? Not sure if its just a one time thing, but will keep (if you will excuse the expression) an eye on it.

DodgeCares or DodgeCaCares any suggestions or bulletins I should now about?

Regards

DoubleO7

What radio do you have? If you do not know, you can PM me the Vin and I will check for any TSB's that may fit the condition as you desribe.

• 2 months later...

The problem has happened to me three times. The first time, I just switched from the nav to sat radio and when I got home, I restarted the vehcile and everything was OK.

The second time it happened, I went to the dealer and of course they couldn'f find the problem, as everything was working OK at that point in time.

Now it happens a third time. I'm on the freeway and it happens again. This time I don't have a place to pull over, or an exit very close so now I am to say the least not happy. So on my way home, I am trying to think of what has caused this to happen three times when others said it happened only once to them.

I figured out the correlation between the three instances. I have my lights set to go on when the wipers are on, and the dash is set to dim when the lights are on. On all three occassions, this feature was being used as it was raining lightly off and on, so I was turning the windshield wipers on and off as needed. It was during these times I lost the street data only. Directions were still visible. And all three times I was on the freeway, so didn't have a location to restart the vehicle.

So with the nav still not functioning correctly, I dropped Mrs DoubleO7 off at home and went to the dealer to make an appointment. I cornered one of the service advisors who was walking back to the office and asked him to have a peek inside so he could see the blank screen while the vehicle was still running. Great idea, he sees it and I go into make the appointment. What day, he says he will be there on Friday after New Years. Go in on the Friday he's not there. Darn. So now I have to explain to the service rep (who I have dealt with almost exclusively for more then 12 years) the problem. Of course the service rep has only so much space to summarize the problem, so not sure if the tech that looked at it really knew what he was looking for as he couldn;t duplicate the problem. The service rep told me he will keep an eye out for any service bulletins as he has a 2012 Jeep with nav and thinks its the same as the Journeys.

DodgeCaCares if you read this, can you PM me.

Regards

DoubleO7 (I'm never wrong, but not always right)

• Official Dodge Support

This TSB applies to the 4.3's.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 12, 2012

SUBJECT:
RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.
MODELS:
2011 - 2012 (LX) 300
2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey
2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger
NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX)
and March 22, 2012 (MDH 0322XX). LD/LX vehicles built between May 1, 2011
(MDH 0501XX) and March 27, 2012 (MDH 0327XX) that are equipped with
UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or UCONNECT TOUCH
4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
· USB/CD skips while playing.
· Radio changes stations on it's own.
· Radio locks up intermittently or fully inoperative.
· Radio cuts in and out, resets on it's own or completely inoperative.
· Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0147 - Lost Communication With Telematics
Gateway.
· Radio mutes or Intermittently mutes.
· Radio Display goes blank.

Hi DodgeCares

I have the 8.5 inch screen with nav, build date on the vehicle is May 2012. When I had my oil changed , they also did a flash update on the radio and as mentioned in another thread, my gremlins regarding the radio have been fixed.

So, now I am just waiting for some kind of fix for the nav screen problem. In the settings menu I have turned off the headlight on with wipers feature until a reslove is figured out.

• Official Dodge Support
Hi DodgeCares

I have the 8.5 inch screen with nav, build date on the vehicle is May 2012. When I had my oil changed , they also did a flash update on the radio and as mentioned in another thread, my gremlins regarding the radio have been fixed.

So, now I am just waiting for some kind of fix for the nav screen problem. In the settings menu I have turned off the headlight on with wipers feature until a reslove is figured out.

OK. If I find any TSB regarding the 8.4's I will post it up here.

Thanks DodgeCares. I received a PM for DodgeCaCares and he will be sending a copy of my post to the dealer, so they have a better understanding of what the problem is and is also keeping a look out for any TSB regarding this problem.

I must say, we are well looked after on this forum, by both you and DodgeCaCares. Yours and DodgeCaCares efforts I'm sure are greatly appreciated by not only me, but by others on the forum as well.

Double07

I too have the same problem from time to time with the navigation on the 8.4 system.

The symptom is that the nav sceen only shows tan. You will see the Street at the top, the direction in the bottom left. In the bottom right the speed is all there as normal. The top and bottom items work as they should and will change as the car drives. You have no blue triangle for your vehicle and no map.

When this happens to me it seems that it happens when the system is booting into maps. So after a car start or when switching to maps.

The fix for me has been either:

1. Shut off the vehicle. You need to wait until the dash lights and everything go out before the restart.

2. I have had success with switching between climate wait a minute then go into map. It reboots maps at that point for me.

I can tell if it worked when I see the Garmin image, then I know it is rebooting.

Item two the Climate button is the only button that seems to work for me. The others do not help.

I do have a picture of the screen in the no maps state.post-4973-0-45008000-1358021198_thumb.jp

Double07

I too have the same problem from time to time with the navigation on the 8.4 system.

The symptom is that the nav sceen only shows tan. You will see the Street at the top, the direction in the bottom left. In the bottom right the speed is all there as normal. The top and bottom items work as they should and will change as the car drives. You have no blue triangle for your vehicle and no map.

When this happens to me it seems that it happens when the system is booting into maps. So after a car start or when switching to maps.

The fix for me has been either:

1. Shut off the vehicle. You need to wait until the dash lights and everything go out before the restart.

2. I have had success with switching between climate wait a minute then go into map. It reboots maps at that point for me.

I can tell if it worked when I see the Garmin image, then I know it is rebooting.

Item two the Climate button is the only button that seems to work for me. The others do not help.

I do have a picture of the screen in the no maps state.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thats what my screen looks like also. Have you taken your Journey into the dealer to have it looked at, or at least get it on record that this problem exists while the vehicle is under warranty?

Out of curiosity, what is the build date on your vehicle. Mine is May 2012. I have seen where TSBs sometimes are for certain build dates. Could be a problem that only exists for a few vehciles between certian build dates, therefore not a widespread problem. This may give DodgeCares and DodgeCaCares some more info to go on.

I have not had it to the dealer for this issue. It would hard to duplicate at he dealer since it is intermittent. But I did get the picture to prove it happens. Just so they don't think I am nuts when I do go in. I will let them know at my next visit.

My build date was February 13 2012 according to the dealer. So a few months before yours.

Hopefully the picture helps DodgeCares or DodgeCaCares understand the problem better..

• 1 month later...
I have not had it to the dealer for this issue. It would hard to duplicate at he dealer since it is intermittent. But I did get the picture to prove it happens. Just so they don't think I am nuts when I do go in. I will let them know at my next visit.

My build date was February 13 2012 according to the dealer. So a few months before yours.

Hopefully the picture helps DodgeCares or DodgeCaCares understand the problem better..

I used your idea about taking a photo of the problem as it happened again last week. I had Mrs DoubleO7 in the vehicle with me and she took photos with her I-phone. I had to exit the freeway and shut the vehicle off as nothing seemed to work in getting the problem to self correct.

The next day, I printed the photos and took them into the dealer. My service rep took one look and talked to someone and now a part (sorry I can't remember what part it is) has been ordered. When I take my vehicle in for servicing on the 28th, they will have the part and hopefully problem solved. Will keep you informed.

• Official Dodge Support
I used your idea about taking a photo of the problem as it happened again last week. I had Mrs DoubleO7 in the vehicle with me and she took photos with her I-phone. I had to exit the freeway and shut the vehicle off as nothing seemed to work in getting the problem to self correct.

The next day, I printed the photos and took them into the dealer. My service rep took one look and talked to someone and now a part (sorry I can't remember what part it is) has been ordered. When I take my vehicle in for servicing on the 28th, they will have the part and hopefully problem solved. Will keep you informed.

Yes, please let us know what the part is and if it worked. Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had the Gateway Module replaced. This is essentially the part the controls the radio and navigation.

So, I get into the vehicle and bring up the map. First message I see is that the maps are out of date as they are a year old. Looks like the unit that they obtained has been sitting around for awhile. No big deal, there is a lot of construction on our freeways where I live, so the map will have to be updated eventually, but I will wait a couple of years, as the construction won't be finished until later this year. I have a older Garmin portable unit with lifetime updates, so when I see it has the new interchanges on it, there is no sense in wasting money on an update before then.

After, I select remind me in a year the map comes up. Everything looks OK, all the streets (main roads and side streets) are there. When I pull out of the dealership lot, the auto headlights come on and the screen dims. So far so good, streets still showing. About a half of a kilometer (just over half a mile), I make a right hand turn. As the map is adjusting to the new direction, it zooms out and I loose all the streets except for two, the one I just turned off of and the freeway which is about 5 kilometers away (about 3 miles). OK, so I turn the auto dim feature off, and the screen comes up bright again but still no streets.

I head back to the dealership, leave the vehicle running and go in and get the service advisor to come and take a look. He tells me, I have to give it some time to reset itself. He turns the vehicle off adn then back on. We go and adjust the setting for more detail. Everything appears OK again. He then states that it takes time for the GPS to work properly as its a new unit. I'm thinking to myself "but the maps are already on the unit, they're not being downloaded as I drive", but let it go as it was near closing time.

So, now I am heading back home again. At the same intersection, the exact same thing happens. Zooms out, no streets. I decide to head home and give it a chance to "reset". So currently I live on a street that doesn't exist. This weekend I hope it will work properly, as I will be going to on a small journey (excuse the pun), and would like to be able to use it. If it's not working correctly by Monday, I will be going back in.

It's the one option that I was treating myself to, as I really like the big screen, so it would be nice if I could depend on it.

I will update this thread when something happens eg works OK, or further work required.

I was thinking of ordering a new Crew with the Nav but now I might have a rethink and get the 8.4 without it

To bad because its an easy order although its $2000 seemed to be worth it

They really need to solve these issues BEFORE they send them out

Don't let my problem discourage you. Stuff happens, I'm sure it will get sorted out in time. This problem hasn't hampered my enthusiasm for the Journey, nor am I having any remorse about ordering the nav.

Like I said, I will give it a few days to see if the map display sorts itself out.

I was thinking of ordering a new Crew with the Nav but now I might have a rethink and get the 8.4 without it

To bad because its an easy order although its $2000 seemed to be worth it

They really need to solve these issues BEFORE they send them out

I have a 2013 SXT with navigation system and so far so good. By the way it's a different system for this model year.

I decided to take a long drive today and see what happens with the nav. I am pleased to say that the street data is back. I also took the display off of 3D, and more streets show on the screen. I never use the 3D mode, but forgot to change it yesterday when I picked up the vehicle.

It was a good day to look at how the system operates when the screen is going from daylight to night mode (the drive luckily involved going from heavy cloud cover to light cloud cover so the auto headlights were turning on and off at various times) as that is when I noticed the screen going blank before the they changed the radio. Changing from daylight to night mode is when I noticed the problem before they swapped out the radio module. This time, no problems. :whew:

Double 07

Please keep us updated.

rolly

What changed in the 2013 unit?

Garmin® Announces New In-Dash Navigation Features for Select 2013 Model Year Chrysler® and Dodge® Vehicles

OLATHE, Kan./September 1, 2012/Business Wire - Garmin® International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the next generation of its award-recognized navigation system built into Chrysler vehicles. The new Garmin solution is part of the Chrysler Uconnect8.4N infotainment system and includes several new features and enhancements. It is available for 2013 model year Chrysler 300, Dodge Journey, Charger and Dart vehicles[1] (offered standard on some models and optional on others). New features include 3D buildings and terrain views, improved traffic and routing functionalities, a refined user interface with enhanced colors and themes that are consistent with each vehicle brand and junction views that now cover more than 60,000 intersections across the U.S., among other enhancements.

"Our partnership with Chrysler has been extremely successful over the last two years, gaining praise from consumers and industry experts alike for the unmatched level of ease of use and reliability of our navigation solution," said Matt Munn, Garmin's managing director automotive OEM. "We're thrilled to now introduce new features to provide drivers even better orientation and road guidance with stunning 3D views and enhanced routing technology."

New features of Garmin navigation for the Chrysler Uconnect system include:

3D Buildings, Landmarks and Terrain Realistic 3D views of buildings and key landmarks throughout major U.S. cities provide drivers better orientation. Using topographic map data, the new Garmin system also displays 3D terrain views of landscape elevations, helping drivers to see what lies ahead.

New, Customized User Interface Garmin introduces a new color configuration and design of its user interface that is customized to Chrysler and Dodge vehicles and provides a more refined look and feel.

Trip Planner, myTrendsâ„¢and Multi-Route View A new Trip Planner featureallows users to easily plan trips with multiple stops, view routes in an overview screen and edit destinations at any time.myTrends automatically remembers frequent and favorite route destinations based on driving habits and predicts them at certain days and times without the user needing to enter an address. When starting a trip, the new Multi-Route View displays route options, such as fastest and shortest, in one convenient overview map, including time and distance for each, so users can pick their preferred route.

New Routing Features and Enhancements Garmin's new navigation system includes a couple of new features that improve routing. trafficTrendsâ„¢ predicts traffic conditions and recommends routes using historical traffic data and recurring trends at any given time or day. Garmin's new point addressing technology enhances routing accuracy, for example, where several addresses of a housing complex are combined into a group of house numbers. The new system can now identify each individual house number and navigate there.Additionally, Garmin significantly improved the routing algorithms to provide even fasterroute calculations and destination searches.

Broader Junction View Coverage Garmin's exclusive junction view database now includes nearly 60,000 junction views in the U.S. and Canada, 25 times more than in previous versions. photoReal Junction View realistically displays road signs and junctions along the route with photographic detail to clearly mark the correct lane to be in for interchanges and exits.

Navigation for Uconnect brings the ease of use of Garmin into an original equipment, in-dash radio. The navigator includes highly detailed maps of the United States, Canada, and Mexico with more than eight million points of interest, as well as many cutting-edge features found in the newest Garmin devices. This includes spoken turn-by-turn directions, one-shot address entry via voice command, lane assistance, junction views, speed limit and current speed, a trip computer and mileage log as well as customized vehicle icons that looks like a Chrysler or Dodge vehicle. In addition to displaying the navigation interface and maps on thein-dash screen, the system also makes use of a second display, positioned behind the steering wheel, to easily let the driver see important information, such as next turn, at a glance.

Within the first year of eligibility, Garmin's in-car navigation in the Dodge Charger was recognized as "Highest Customer Satisfaction With Factory Installed Navigation Systems" in the J.D. Power and Associates 2011 U.S. Navigation Usage and Satisfaction StudySM.

Garmin's automotive OEM group provides a broad range of in-vehicle electronics for the automotive industry, including infotainment and telematics systems, navigation software, location-based services, and integrated portable navigation systems. Garmin has dedicated automotive OEM offices in the United States, Germany, China and Japan. The company has agreements with leading brands in the automotive sector such as BMW, Chrysler, Honda, Kenwood, Panasonic, Suzuki and Toyota, among others.

Tags: Chryser Grand Voyager, ChryserGrandVoyager, chrysler, chrysler 300, Chrysler300, dodge, dodge charger, dodge dart, dodge journey, DodgeCharger, DodgeDart, DodgeJourney, garmin, Garmin GPS, GarminGps, gps navigation, GpsNavigation, in-dash, in-dash gps, in-dash navigation, In-dashGps, In-dashNavigation, minipost, navigation, sirius XM, SiriusXm, spring, uconnect

• Official Dodge Support

This is the latest bulletin released on the 8.4's.

NUMBER: 08-007-13 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: March 02, 2013

SUBJECT:
RB5 RE2 Loss Of satellite Function, Sirius ID Number Missing
OVERVIEW:
This Bulletin involves updating the radio's software or replacing the Telematics Gateway
Module (TGM) if required.
MODELS:
2012-**2013** (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built between May 07, 2012 (MDH 0707XX)
and October 27, 2012 (MDH 1027XX) equipped with UConnect Touch 8.4
CD/DVD/MP3/NAV (sales code RB5) or UConnect Touch 8.4 CD/DVD/MP3
(sales code RE2).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A customer may experience a loss of satellite radio functions. **On further inspection the
Technician may note that the Sirius ID number is missing**.
Updating the radio software will prevent this condition from occurring. If the customer has
lost all satellite radio functions and the Sirius ID number is missing, the TGM will need to
be replaced to repair this condition.
NOTE: All radio and navigation functions are controlled by the TGM.