my front rotors warped at 10k, and then again at 14k, but the dealer didn't replace them at 14k, they said they didn't think they needed it. In retrospect, they just didn't drive it fast enough. I should have told them the wheel shook the most above 50 mph. So now at 17k they are getting really bad, and I'm hoping for my second set of warrantied rotors.

so frustrating. My previous car, a Mazda 5 had the same problem. It ate rotors. Seems rotors these days are crap.

Edited by Destination

We just joined this group of 2011 owners with brake problems. We just had our front rotors and pads replaced yesterday at the dealer and they were NOT covered under any warranty. The car has 20,400 miles which is way too soon to have bad rotors, IMHO. They gave us an 800# to call but it just rings busy but I'll keep trying..

• Official Dodge Support

We just joined this group of 2011 owners with brake problems. We just had our front rotors and pads replaced yesterday at the dealer and they were NOT covered under any warranty. The car has 20,400 miles which is way too soon to have bad rotors, IMHO. They gave us an 800# to call but it just rings busy but I'll keep trying..

Nwaring,

I do not know what number they gave you but if you want to call Chrysler to complain the numbers are below. The line should never be busy unless there is some kind of outage.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

DodgeCares or anyone else who knows for sure, do all 2012 Journey sxt's have bigger rotors and im guessing updated pads and calipers too? So 2012 owners dont have to worry about this issue?

Nope, us 2012 owners still have to worry about it. Our 2012 Crew started the shudder while braking at about 4k miles. Took it to the dealer and of course they "could not replicate the problem". I'm just going to deal with it until it gets really bad. Then I'll replace the damn brakes myself with better quality stuff for probably around $400. I would miss out that much on work just sitting in the dealership every few months for them to replace them. Will actually probably be cheaper in the long run...

• Official Dodge Support

Nope, us 2012 owners still have to worry about it. Our 2012 Crew started the shudder while braking at about 4k miles. Took it to the dealer and of course they "could not replicate the problem". I'm just going to deal with it until it gets really bad. Then I'll replace the damn brakes myself with better quality stuff for probably around $400. I would miss out that much on work just sitting in the dealership every few months for them to replace them. Will actually probably be cheaper in the long run...

If anyone replaces their brakes, be it at the dealer or an independent repair facility, you need to make sure you keep all your receipts. If a warranty extension comes out on the 2011-2012 models like it did on the 2010 models, Chrysler will notify you of the warranty extension and you can submit for reimbursement no matter where the repair was performed.

If anyone replaces their brakes, be it at the dealer or an independent repair facility, you need to make sure you keep all your receipts. If a warranty extension comes out on the 2011-2012 models like it did on the 2010 models, Chrysler will notify you of the warranty extension and you can submit for reimbursement no matter where the repair was performed.

Good point. I'll be doing the job myself...but I'll save my reciepts and log it in the maintenance manual when I change everything out.

That sucks. So since my Journey is about a month old with 1,000 miles, if they start acting up in lets say three or four months from now id be able to take them in to be replaced by the dealer for free under the regular warranty? I didnt bother getting any extra warrantys on top of the warranty that comes standard.

I noticed my brakes squealing like a stuck pig last year when it was new but it quickly went away when winter came. Now over the last couple of weeks I've been getting the rougher braking at higher speeds. Not even 20K miles and warped rotors like the rest of the group. Too many of these complaints to count online too. My dealer said to call the customer service line to complain and try and get them covered. Think it's time to go on a rampage online and make waves. If I have to pay for brakes out of pocket based on poor manufacturing I'm going to make sure I dent some new car sales. Domain names are cheap and it's easy enough to make a quick website with links to all of the complaints. Not something I'd want hanging out there if I was the manufacturer.

tons of domains available; DodgeJourneySucks DontBuyaJourney JourneyBadBrakes

Looks like National Highway & Safety has a website that tracks complaints. I'll definitely add mine after work since you need your VIN. (www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm)

.....Squeakiest wheel gets the grease.

Edited by jerkface

That sucks. So since my Journey is about a month old with 1,000 miles, if they start acting up in lets say three or four months from now id be able to take them in to be replaced by the dealer for free under the regular warranty? I didnt bother getting any extra warrantys on top of the warranty that comes standard.

yes, they should replace the rotors for free under warranty as many times as they need it within the warranty time period. As stated, I'm about to get my second set replaced under warranty (waiting for them to come in).

Just a quick follow up to my experience with replacing the rotors last week.

1) I gave my dealer heat about the warped rotors, they said "sorry, just over 12 months, no way should they be warped but we cant help, call Dodge"

2) Rather than call the number they gave me I used the CONTACT US number from the Dodge website, sub link was "Customer Service".

3) They heard me out and gave me a case number (I was very polite). They promised to call me within 24 hours.

4) Next day they called and said "the dealer can help you at their discretion now". Long story short there is a new program as of July where Dodge will cover brake costs from the dealer on these issues.

5) Customer Service Manager at the dealer called Dodge and confirmed the process. I scheduled an appointment at the dealer.

6) Dealer has a procedure to follow, machine the rotors to true them if possible, replace if necessary. Part number on replacement rotors has changed, no one knows what the differences are.

In my case I ended with new rotors and pads since their wasn't enough meat on the rotors (15 months of mild rural & city driving).

My problem took one week and three phone calls to fix. Maybe this is due to a good dealer or maybe its the new brake program, not sure. Brakes are as smooth as can be now.

Hope this helps at least one person.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up to my experience with replacing the rotors last week.

1) I gave my dealer heat about the warped rotors, they said "sorry, just over 12 months, no way should they be warped but we cant help, call Dodge"

2) Rather than call the number they gave me I used the CONTACT US number from the Dodge website, sub link was "Customer Service".

3) They heard me out and gave me a case number (I was very polite). They promised to call me within 24 hours.

4) Next day they called and said "the dealer can help you at their discretion now". Long story short there is a new program as of July where Dodge will cover brake costs from the dealer on these issues.

5) Customer Service Manager at the dealer called Dodge and confirmed the process. I scheduled an appointment at the dealer.

6) Dealer has a procedure to follow, machine the rotors to true them if possible, replace if necessary. Part number on replacement rotors has changed, no one knows what the differences are.

In my case I ended with new rotors and pads since their wasn't enough meat on the rotors (15 months of mild rural & city driving).

My problem took one week and three phone calls to fix. Maybe this is due to a good dealer or maybe its the new brake program, not sure. Brakes are as smooth as can be now.

Hope this helps at least one person.

Add me to the list of people that your post helped out! :yahoo:

Background - 2011 Journey. First noticed slight vibration when braking at 3500 miles, took it to Dodge and they said they couldn't replicate. Vibrations got pretty bad and mentioned it again around 13000 miles when I took it in for an oil change. This time the service tech said I needed new rotors and pads for ~$585. Funny how that works: Within warranty- "Everything looks fine...". After warranty ends- "That'll be $600 please." :)

I called the Customer Care number (1-800-423-6343) and explained everything (very nicely) to the Customer Support Agent. They called me back the next day and told me that they would contact the dealer and request that they perform my service under the, "Good Deed Dealer Assistance Program" (or something like that). I would just have to cover the $50 co-pay. But the customer support agent made sure to point out that they couldn't TELL the dealer to do anything, they could only request it. The dealer contacted me the next day to schedule the appointment! I couldn't believe it. Thanks "jerkface"!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2009 Journey and just took it in for service again for the brakes. So far I replaced the front rotors three times and the rear three times. I have 90,000 km on the car, with alot of highway miles. I only had the rear rotors replaced under warranty once, the rest I have paid for. This time my dealer told me to call Chrysler Canada, because I am started to get really frustrated. Two sets of rotors and pads a year is just stupid! I have been getting the run around from Chrysler Canada, as they are still looking into it. Anybody know of a class action lawsuit going on in Canada?

Man, there comes a point when you just need to replace the brakes on your own with your own cash. It's only a few hundred bucks for some good quality rotors/pads. STOP USING THE CRAPPY OEM BRAKES!!

My plan is to just replace the front rotors/pads soon with wagners. Why continue to waste your time at the dealer using crappy oem parts? Even if it is covered under warranty, wasting 4-6hours at the dealer each visit would cost me more in work hours missed than just replacing them with my own parts that will last years. That's my opinion on the matter at least.

• 1 month later...

I have had Dodge products for years and once had problems with pre-mature brake pad and rotor wear on my '94 Grand Caravan. Once the warranty period was over, I replaced with high quality aftermarket products. I currently drive a '12 Journey SXT/3.6. with about 15,000 km on it. I find it stops very well at this point with very little brake pedal pressure and none of the other problems that have been reported on this site. Usually fast wearing pads are made of softer materials. This will improve stopping distances and usually cause less wear on rotors. Harder pad material will last longer, but will require more pressure on the pedal to get the same stopping distance, resulting in higher temperatures on the rotors. This heat (and corrosion of the venting fins) is what is causing the rotors to warp. Most OEM and a lot of the aftermarket rotors are now coming from China with large variations in quality. I hope to get more than 30,000 km from the original set of brakes, but will not hesitate to replace with aftermarket whenever that time comes, warranty or not. At that time I will replace with high quality slotted and drilled rotors, but probably softer pads. I don't mind cleaning the dust of my wheels, they have to be washed anyway.

Ed

• 1 month later...
Had my 2011 R/T at the dealer yesterday. As suspected warpped rotors AGAIN. So this makes 1. the original set of rotors and pads, 2. front and back rotors and pads at 19 000kms, 3. front rotors at 29 000kms and 4. rear rotors at 35 000kms. In total with 35 000 kms...3 full sets or rotors all around and two full sets of pads all around (they have now refused to replace the pads even due to the warpped rotors and the uneven wear that is caused on pads) and believe me I argued. The dealer (which has been great over all) is saying the pads are still like new so they can't justify replacing. Interestingly enough in that comment with the pads still looking like new proves it is not ones driving habits but VERY VERY poor manufactured parts whomever they supplier is. I have mentioned before that I had the same issues with my 2007 Dodge Avenger SXT until I finally had enpough of running back to the dealerand put out the expense myself to have aftermarket rotors and pads put on all around. After doing so, never a problem in 45 000kms at which point I turned in the car due to lease being up (bought my 2011 Journey R/T)....rotors were fine and pads had 70%. left on them. I have only owed Dodge or Chrysler vehicals for the last 20 years and get a new one every 3 -4 years. Before my 2007 Avenger I have never had rotor, or break issues with any of my previous Chrysler/Dodge vehicals. I called Customer serice to finally complain yesterday, and all they said was they will document and give me a file number (wow thanks for the help...great service????). The girl I spoke with kind of laughed (in surprise) when she pulled my file and saw how many times and at the kms my rotors and pads were being done in the last year. So my thought on these replacement parts are of no better quality. You would think that they would eat the cost and put the new larger rotors and pads (and whatever other parts needed to accomidat them) on the 2011's...the cost of repalcing all these parts under warranty with the what seems to be same bad quality parts is surly costing them much more in the end. I think it is proven the the original size clearly were not large enough for this vehical, what other reason would they have upgraded/enlarged them, especially on the heavier AWD R/T vertion such as mine. I'd love to hear from Dodgecares if he is still monitoring this site...I have yet to catch any feedback from him on this issue, maybe I have missed it. He seems to be very helpful with uinsight etc...again a response form him would be nice. Having said all this, I still love my Journey...especially when it stops smoothly...well at least for another few more months :)

Well here I am again. Back in August Chrysler finally authorized the dealer to replace anything they felt need to be done. Result: Replace rear rotor and brake pads with new parts from thei new supplier. I was told that the fron were "ok" as in really not needed at the time. I raised hell but lost. I pick up the vehical and sure enough new parts I have not seen previously used on the rear...VERY HAPPY to see. Driving hime on the hwy what happens when I hit the brakes...yup..shuddering! Call the dealer and speak to the service guy and was told that they think I "might" have a wheel out of balance. I asked then why they did not rebalance it, why did they not call and tell me that as I would have paid to have that done. I was told, that he did not know, but if I bring it back in, he would have it done N/C. Great, but now another trip back to the dealer. Long story short I did not go back to have it done as I decided I was going to replace the tires. Ntohing wrong with them other than I hate the Kumho tires. I replace the tires in October the garage did everything, alignment was not necessary as they said everything was perfect witht he alignment. However still shuddering in the break pedal when I hit the breaks. I finally took in in yesteday and as I expected the front breaks and rotors they refused to replace 6000km ago...not thy tell me they are warpped and need to be replace? I said yes, they should have been done when you did the back as the problem has not gone away. Anyway they call me last night said it is all done, but they did not change the pads...again as they feel they are "OK". At this point I think they are all just stupid. Third set of rotors without changing the pads. My issue is that when your rotors warp they cause uneven break pad wear (three times now on these pads). The pads have lots of life so it is not an issue of trying to get something for free. With all the issues with these breaks they should simple put on the new $50.00 pads so that all is new and we go from there to hopfully have this problem solved. Car is now sitting at the dealership as after my conversation with the service manager today he needs to speak with his district manager. Chrysler Canada which I called again yeterday was of no help. The lady I spoke with simply wanted off the phone and not to deal with this at all saying there isnothe they can do to help, it is all up to the dealership. Funny last time they did get involved, now they say they don't do that, yet the dealership says it is up to them. Im a long time Chrysler/Dodge buyer....not sure if that will continue once time comes to upgrade to something new...and for me that is sad.

I've heard from other guys at work basically all mini-vans have brake issues.. Honda, Toyota, etc.. Seems like the rotors are just disposable nowadays.

From tirerack you can get drilled rotors from stoptech for ~$90. That is not a lot more than the cheapo ones from Dodge..

I'm looking at replacing all 4 this coming season...

I had an '03 Intrepid that I was constantly turning front rotors on. The pads lasted a long time, but the rotors would warp every 20k miles. I'd pop them off, take them to O'reilly and have them resurface them until they got too thin, then replaced. When I was driving lots of highway miles for work (45k miles/yr), I kept a spare set in the garage ready to go. Didn't matter if they were OE or from the parts store, the rotors would warp. I hung out on the message boards where guys experimented with these fancy drilled/slotted rotors and they had the same problem. On the other hand, the rear brakes were perfect. I replaced the pads one time and never touched the rotors. Eventually traded the car in with 231k miles.

I knew someone with a '01 Taurus with the same front rotor problem, and it sounds like other car-based vehicles have the same issue. This seems like either a design flaw or too much cost cutting in manufacturing.

Fortunately on my '11 Journey there I haven't had a single brake issue yet. Keeping my fingers crossed. Been getting junk mail from lawyers regarding a class action lawsuit for this issue and a laundry list of others.

• Official Dodge Support
Well here I am again. Back in August Chrysler finally authorized the dealer to replace anything they felt need to be done. Result: Replace rear rotor and brake pads with new parts from thei new supplier. I was told that the fron were "ok" as in really not needed at the time. I raised hell but lost. I pick up the vehical and sure enough new parts I have not seen previously used on the rear...VERY HAPPY to see. Driving hime on the hwy what happens when I hit the brakes...yup..shuddering! Call the dealer and speak to the service guy and was told that they think I "might" have a wheel out of balance. I asked then why they did not rebalance it, why did they not call and tell me that as I would have paid to have that done. I was told, that he did not know, but if I bring it back in, he would have it done N/C. Great, but now another trip back to the dealer. Long story short I did not go back to have it done as I decided I was going to replace the tires. Ntohing wrong with them other than I hate the Kumho tires. I replace the tires in October the garage did everything, alignment was not necessary as they said everything was perfect witht he alignment. However still shuddering in the break pedal when I hit the breaks. I finally took in in yesteday and as I expected the front breaks and rotors they refused to replace 6000km ago...not thy tell me they are warpped and need to be replace? I said yes, they should have been done when you did the back as the problem has not gone away. Anyway they call me last night said it is all done, but they did not change the pads...again as they feel they are "OK". At this point I think they are all just stupid. Third set of rotors without changing the pads. My issue is that when your rotors warp they cause uneven break pad wear (three times now on these pads). The pads have lots of life so it is not an issue of trying to get something for free. With all the issues with these breaks they should simple put on the new $50.00 pads so that all is new and we go from there to hopfully have this problem solved. Car is now sitting at the dealership as after my conversation with the service manager today he needs to speak with his district manager. Chrysler Canada which I called again yeterday was of no help. The lady I spoke with simply wanted off the phone and not to deal with this at all saying there isnothe they can do to help, it is all up to the dealership. Funny last time they did get involved, now they say they don't do that, yet the dealership says it is up to them. Im a long time Chrysler/Dodge buyer....not sure if that will continue once time comes to upgrade to something new...and for me that is sad.

Dodge,

Sorry to see you are still having issues with your dealer and the front brakes.

To clarify, when a dealer says they are speaking with the district manager, it will never be known at customer service, so no agent that get your call will know what is going on.

That being said, if you would like some assistance in getting an answer/resolution to the front bakes, send me a PM with your VIN, name and dealer name and I will see what i can do for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue with 29k miles. Called customer care because obviously it's a defective rotor. They talking about helping me finance the repair. Excuse me? All of these people can't be lying about the same thing. They need to do a recall or replace our rotors, not profit off of inferior rotors. This is rediculous.

After reading this thread I can see all your frustrations regarding the brakes ongoing now for 3-4 years, why is this happening? the brake engineers know what size brakes for what weight vehicle have to be designed or used, this has to be a cost cost thing so they can sell a given vehicle at a lower price (very good when advertising the vehicle) the brake engineers know right now what needs to be done but would be restricted by the cost factor, this applies to all components of a vehicle.

In my opinion it would be better to sell the vehicle for a few dollars more and to be rid of this issue and any other.....but then this is the automobile world and its all about competition and price.

The above is my personal opinion after 30 years in Chrysler assembly plants (3) now retired.

2009 SXT AWD