My Journey will be 1 year old on Monday...I recently took it in to a shop for an oil change and tire rotation and they say my rotors need replaced due to severe scoring.

I've looked online about this issue and apparently it's common in the journey and to be honest...IM PISSED!!!!! To have to replace this after 1 year? Does that mean I need to replace them EVERY YEAR? I had my Dodge Caliber for over 3 years it had over 40k miles when I traded it in and I never once had to replace ANYTHING!

So...My question is...What do I do? Raise some hell @ the dealer? They did an inspection in March and I can 100% guarantee they saw the scoring and didn't tell me about it. My steering wheel has been shaking when I brake for MONTHS!

Are they replacing them under warranty? I had to have mine replaced due to scoring with only about 1000 miles on the car. Call Chrysler and make sure your concerns about the brakes are noted. At least then they'll have a record of your complaint if you have more brake problems down the road. I'd like to see them start putting the bigger brakes on vehicles that have premature brake problems, but I doubt they're going to do that.

well, if you want a rudimentary example of why it's good to change your brake pads after changing warped rotors: put both your hands together as if you were praying. Now bend your fingers to to the right. now straighten your left hand again, leaving your right hands finged bent back. your left hand is the replaced rotor while your right is the old brake pads... like I said, rudimentary, but gives you an idea of why :).

Edited by Psyke

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 2011 R/T at the dealer yesterday. As suspected warpped rotors AGAIN. So this makes 1. the original set of rotors and pads, 2. front and back rotors and pads at 19 000kms, 3. front rotors at 29 000kms and 4. rear rotors at 35 000kms. In total with 35 000 kms...3 full sets or rotors all around and two full sets of pads all around (they have now refused to replace the pads even due to the warpped rotors and the uneven wear that is caused on pads) and believe me I argued. The dealer (which has been great over all) is saying the pads are still like new so they can't justify replacing. Interestingly enough in that comment with the pads still looking like new proves it is not ones driving habits but VERY VERY poor manufactured parts whomever they supplier is. I have mentioned before that I had the same issues with my 2007 Dodge Avenger SXT until I finally had enpough of running back to the dealerand put out the expense myself to have aftermarket rotors and pads put on all around. After doing so, never a problem in 45 000kms at which point I turned in the car due to lease being up (bought my 2011 Journey R/T)....rotors were fine and pads had 70%. left on them. I have only owed Dodge or Chrysler vehicals for the last 20 years and get a new one every 3 -4 years. Before my 2007 Avenger I have never had rotor, or break issues with any of my previous Chrysler/Dodge vehicals. I called Customer serice to finally complain yesterday, and all they said was they will document and give me a file number (wow thanks for the help...great service????). The girl I spoke with kind of laughed (in surprise) when she pulled my file and saw how many times and at the kms my rotors and pads were being done in the last year. So my thought on these replacement parts are of no better quality. You would think that they would eat the cost and put the new larger rotors and pads (and whatever other parts needed to accomidat them) on the 2011's...the cost of repalcing all these parts under warranty with the what seems to be same bad quality parts is surly costing them much more in the end. I think it is proven the the original size clearly were not large enough for this vehical, what other reason would they have upgraded/enlarged them, especially on the heavier AWD R/T vertion such as mine. I'd love to hear from Dodgecares if he is still monitoring this site...I have yet to catch any feedback from him on this issue, maybe I have missed it. He seems to be very helpful with uinsight etc...again a response form him would be nice. Having said all this, I still love my Journey...especially when it stops smoothly...well at least for another few more months :)

Wow. Not good to hear. I have a 2010 model and I don't know why they can't get their act together even for the later revisions. How do they expect to have repeat customers for their brand. I know this will be my last Chrysler/Dodge no matter how good it might look.

Edited by _2031

You think after years of brake issues and only now finally they have upgraded to larger rotors and pads...they would switch out these sub par parts as good will. ESPECIALLY for those still under warranty. It is a real pain going back for brake service every few months!

• Official Dodge Support

Had my 2011 R/T at the dealer yesterday. As suspected warpped rotors AGAIN. So this makes 1. the original set of rotors and pads, 2. front and back rotors and pads at 19 000kms, 3. front rotors at 29 000kms and 4. rear rotors at 35 000kms. In total with 35 000 kms...3 full sets or rotors all around and two full sets of pads all around (they have now refused to replace the pads even due to the warpped rotors and the uneven wear that is caused on pads) and believe me I argued. The dealer (which has been great over all) is saying the pads are still like new so they can't justify replacing. Interestingly enough in that comment with the pads still looking like new proves it is not ones driving habits but VERY VERY poor manufactured parts whomever they supplier is. I have mentioned before that I had the same issues with my 2007 Dodge Avenger SXT until I finally had enpough of running back to the dealerand put out the expense myself to have aftermarket rotors and pads put on all around. After doing so, never a problem in 45 000kms at which point I turned in the car due to lease being up (bought my 2011 Journey R/T)....rotors were fine and pads had 70%. left on them. I have only owed Dodge or Chrysler vehicals for the last 20 years and get a new one every 3 -4 years. Before my 2007 Avenger I have never had rotor, or break issues with any of my previous Chrysler/Dodge vehicals. I called Customer serice to finally complain yesterday, and all they said was they will document and give me a file number (wow thanks for the help...great service????). The girl I spoke with kind of laughed (in surprise) when she pulled my file and saw how many times and at the kms my rotors and pads were being done in the last year. So my thought on these replacement parts are of no better quality. You would think that they would eat the cost and put the new larger rotors and pads (and whatever other parts needed to accomidat them) on the 2011's...the cost of repalcing all these parts under warranty with the what seems to be same bad quality parts is surly costing them much more in the end. I think it is proven the the original size clearly were not large enough for this vehical, what other reason would they have upgraded/enlarged them, especially on the heavier AWD R/T vertion such as mine. I'd love to hear from Dodgecares if he is still monitoring this site...I have yet to catch any feedback from him on this issue, maybe I have missed it. He seems to be very helpful with uinsight etc...again a response form him would be nice. Having said all this, I still love my Journey...especially when it stops smoothly...well at least for another few more months :)

Fan,

I agree with all you have said here and do not understand why it took so long to identify and solve the issue. If I had the answer to that question I would post it but I do not. If I was you I would ask for some type of additional protection such as a service contract, or an authorization to install upgraded pads and rotors and be reimbursed when you contact the Assistance Center again or when they call you back. If you want to PM me your VIN I would like to follow the case. I will be out till Thursday of next week but I will take a look at it when I return.

They were enlarged for 2012 model year... from other posts on here what I understand is after the other parts on hand were used up. In regards to retrofitting, I have no idea but it must be possible and should be done under warranty for those experiancing as many problems like myself. In my opionon of course.

• Official Dodge Support

All,

To follow up on this topic I would just like to let everyone know that if they are denied by Chrysler for brake coverage because of the warranty being expired at the time of repair, and you go out and install pads and rotors at your own cost make sure you keep a copy of the bills. If Chrysler comes out in the future and extends the brake warranty like they did on the 2010's you will be able to get reimbursed for expense. I am not saying they will, but if they do, you can at least get your money back.

What does it take to have Chrysler extend the warranty again? Another class action lawsuit?

Even with the extended brakes warranty, dealer installed previous parts. By the time I need new rotors the warranty expires and I'm SOL.

Dodge needs a lawsuit for sure and I will step up when my time comes for the next brakes.

Fan,

I agree with all you have said here and do not understand why it took so long to identify and solve the issue. If I had the answer to that question I would post it but I do not. If I was you I would ask for some type of additional protection such as a service contract, or an authorization to install upgraded pads and rotors and be reimbursed when you contact the Assistance Center again or when they call you back. If you want to PM me your VIN I would like to follow the case. I will be out till Thursday of next week but I will take a look at it when I return.

Thank you Dodgecares for a fast reply. I have pvt you my vin and file number with customer service. :)

I got a call earlier and scheduled for next Thursday. My car is well over 20,000 miles now. I hope I do not need to keep going back year after year. This would surely hinder my decision in buying Dodge in the future. This is only my second car, my first being a Caliber-2007..I traded it in for the Journey.

What other damage can the bad rotors have on my suspension? I read that it can affect the calipers, but what else? The last thing I want to be replacing is ball joints or something harder. Yea, I can do it myself but it takes me days! lol Plus I don't even have a book for this car since its still 'brand new' to me.

Edited by dodgemommaz

• 2 weeks later...

From April of 2009 to July of 2012, I have replaced my brake pads five times in the front, two times in the rear, and my rotors; I've replaced three times in the front and once in the rear. The pads and the rotors were manufactured too small for the weight of the vehichle, so replacing them does no good. They're going to just continue to wear down and replacing them is always going to be an issue. If your car is still under warranty dodge will reimburse you for a little of what you paid- save your receipts. Good luck!

I'm getting rid of my 2009 dodge journey.