Daytime Running Lights Activated

generaltso

Right, when I read the actual TSB, I did not see the Journey listed. Weird that they updated Uconnect for almost all vehicles except the Journey.

The bugs that the firmware update addresses are present in the current version of Uconnect for the Journey, unfortunately. Some of them are annoying. I'd like to have the additional features (such as the enhanced phone book support) as well.

Were you told why the firnware update does not apply to the Journey?

• 1 month later...

Does the AVP, be able to program my codes to ativate the drls. It will not turn on from the menu. Will dealership turnmine on.

I have a 2011 Crew and they won't turn on either. I think I'll go to the dealer and ask them about it. Explain why does the option to turn them on exists if they aren't there and see if they will turn them on. I figure I have nothing to loose.

When you say that the dealer can add the code (LMK, isn't it?) through dealer connect, do you mean an off-line software package or the web page https://dealerconnect.chrysler.com?

If the latter, do you know if Fiat dealers in Europe use the same page? (There's a Fiat logo but maybe is meant for Fiat dealers in USA/Canada). I suppose the witech software gathers information from that page, and if dealers in Europe also use witech they should have access to the page (I know, many "if"s, but I'd like a step by step explanation I could send to my dealer).

Edit: in the Dealer Help Desk/Maintenance page they list toll-free numbers for some countries in Europe, so it's possible that they use the same page.

Edited by Lebowski

• 3 months later...

This is directed at Dodge Cares (or if someone else knows for sure, chime in! :) ) I just took possession of a 2013 Journey R/T, loaded with everything except the DVD player. I still can't get over ordering the tow package and it doesn't include the hitch and the 4 pin connector is in a bag in the back of the car..., but, I digress.

It is an American unit and I tried to get them to add the the code for the DRLs. The dealership contacted Chrysler, and they even printed out all the codes available for the US 2013 Journey...no codes listed for DRLs in the US for the 2013 model. Is there a code, unofficial if need be, that can be added to a US build sheet that will add the DRL capability to a US 2013 Journey R/T?

• Official Dodge Support
This is directed at Dodge Cares (or if someone else knows for sure, chime in! :) ) I just took possession of a 2013 Journey R/T, loaded with everything except the DVD player. I still can't get over ordering the tow package and it doesn't include the hitch and the 4 pin connector is in a bag in the back of the car..., but, I digress.

It is an American unit and I tried to get them to add the the code for the DRLs. The dealership contacted Chrysler, and they even printed out all the codes available for the US 2013 Journey...no codes listed for DRLs in the US for the 2013 model. Is there a code, unofficial if need be, that can be added to a US build sheet that will add the DRL capability to a US 2013 Journey R/T?

The sales code for daytime running lights is LMK, which was not an option on the R/T models, which may explain why they could not find the code if they were looking under the R/T information. DLR's were part of the Popular Equipment Group (ALW) which was not an option on the R/T's as they have much of what is in that package as standard features, unfortunately not including the DRL's in this case.

Are you saying that my R/T can't have the LMK code added, because it isn't on the list for the R/T, or just that they couldn't find it, so they didn't add it; i.e., could the LMK code be added even though it isn't in the list of options for the '13 R/T? It seems to me that Chrysler is really missing the boat on the DRLs. The coding is in the bus, the coding is in the 8.4 UConnect software (the "switch" (check box) is in my list of "options" for turning them on); why don't they just enable the lights on all of them and let the user decide (unless for Canada where they are mandatory)? For something as important as vehicle safety as visibility is, you'd think they would be all over it; think of the advertising mileage they could get out of it...especially for folks like me that have no doubt about their effectiveness?

Which brings up another possible way... On my '08 Jeep Commander (XK), in order to get DRLs activated on it, I had them change the country to Canada (where they are required), had them (DRLs) turned on while in Canada mode by the StarScan unit and then changed the country code back to US so that I'd have Imperial units on the bus. They may have even done that with my 2011 RAM 2500 CTD since it too, has DRLs that they "activated" when I took delivery of it (the dealer activated them, the truck wasn't delivered with them enabled). I'm not sure what method they used, but, I did go through quite an ordeal (several trips to the dealer and conversations with the service manager and tech) with them on getting the XK's DRLs enabled; they said it couldn't be done for much the same reasons that I'm being told about the Journey... Would that be possible with the Journey? Change the country code to Canada, enable the DRLs and then change the country code back to US?

Edited by webslave

• Official Dodge Support
Are you saying that my R/T can't have the LMK code added, because it isn't on the list for the R/T, or just that they couldn't find it, so they didn't add it; i.e., could the LMK code be added even though it isn't in the list of options for the '13 R/T? It seems to me that Chrysler is really missing the boat on the DRLs. The coding is in the bus, the coding is in the 8.4 UConnect software (the "switch" (check box) is in my list of "options" for turning them on); why don't they just enable the lights on all of them and let the user decide (unless for Canada where they are mandatory)? For something as important as vehicle safety as visibility is, you'd think they would be all over it; think of the advertising mileage they could get out of it...especially for folks like me that have no doubt about their effectiveness?

Which brings up another possible way... On my '08 Jeep Commander (XK), in order to get DRLs activated on it, I had them change the country to Canada (where they are required), had them (DRLs) turned on while in Canada mode by the StarScan unit and then changed the country code back to US so that I'd have Imperial units on the bus. They may have even done that with my 2011 RAM 2500 CTD since it too, has DRLs that they "activated" when I took delivery of it (the dealer activated them, the truck wasn't delivered with them enabled). I'm not sure what method they used, but, I did go through quite an ordeal (several trips to the dealer and conversations with the service manager and tech) with them on getting the XK's DRLs enabled; they said it couldn't be done for much the same reasons that I'm being told about the Journey... Would that be possible with the Journey? Change the country code to Canada, enable the DRLs and then change the country code back to US?

What I am saying is that if the dealer looked through all the sales codes for the R/T they would not find the DRL sales code because it is not there. My suggestion to you if you want the DRL's enabled on the vehicle, would be to contact the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center so they can have a Chrysler tech get involved with the dealer to confirm/instruct the dealer on how to get them activated on your vehicle. If the dealer cannot figure it out them a Chrysler tech needs to be contacted for help. If the dealer is not going to contact a Chrysler tech on the issue the Customer Assistance Center will intervene on your behalf. Assistance Center numbers below.

As far as why they don't just put them on every vehicle, I cannot answer that question. I do know that we also get many requests to disable them on other Journey models that came with the DRL's.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

Thanks for your help and suggestions... Sorry if I sounded a little dense, but, I was trying to get it straight in my head whether the problem was the code wasn't in the list and because of that it couldn't be done, or, whether it wasn't in the list so they just quit at that point, but, it was still possible.

I'll contact the dealer with a copy of the above (we're on first name terms with all the guys) and then I'll go through the Customer Assistance Center if they are still in doubt.

I still don't understand the not enabling the DRLs, at least now, since the on/off command is in the UConnect software. Seems with that option in the menu that turning them off (unless required as in Canada) wouldn't be an issue, unless, once activated, that menu option won't turn them off, the opposite of now, where it won't turn them on...

Again, my thanks, and sorry if a feather or two was ruffled, it wasn't my intent and I, for one, am glad that we have a Chrysler representative monitoring and lending a hand on this forum.

I still don't understand the not enabling the DRLs, at least now, since the on/off command is in the UConnect software. Seems with that option in the menu that turning them off (unless required as in Canada) wouldn't be an issue, unless, once activated, that menu option won't turn them off, the opposite of now, where it won't turn them on...

I've asked this question many times. You won't receive a logical answer because there is no logical reason why they would be disabled from the factory when there's a perfectly good menu option in Uconnect to turn them on and off. My guess is that whoever at Chrysler made the decision to have them disabled didn't realize that there was already a user-accessible option to turn them on and off. The good news is that once you get the dealer to enable them, they work perfectly and can be turned on and off at will

• Official Dodge Support
Thanks for your help and suggestions... Sorry if I sounded a little dense, but, I was trying to get it straight in my head whether the problem was the code wasn't in the list and because of that it couldn't be done, or, whether it wasn't in the list so they just quit at that point, but, it was still possible.

I'll contact the dealer with a copy of the above (we're on first name terms with all the guys) and then I'll go through the Customer Assistance Center if they are still in doubt.

Again, my thanks, and sorry if a feather or two was ruffled, it wasn't my intent and I, for one, am glad that we have a Chrysler representative monitoring and lending a hand on this forum.

No ruffle-age. My ruffle would be for the dealer for not calling Chrysler for you and asking instead of making a customer come onto to a forum and try and find the answer.

• Official Dodge Support

No ruffle-age here. My ruffle would be for the dealer for not calling Chrysler for you and asking instead of making a customer come onto to a forum and try and find the answer.

DodgeCares, thank you for your reply, it seems to be any kind of error, because I can't send PM by now.

I'm reading this topic really interesting, and will try (again) to make my dealer install that sale code in my car.

• Official Dodge Support
DodgeCares, thank you for your reply, it seems to be any kind of error, because I can't send PM by now.

I'm reading this topic really interesting, and will try (again) to make my dealer install that sale code in my car.

I hope the dealer is able to get the DRL's enabled for you.

WooHoo! I've got DRLs!

Dealership added the LMK code. It wasn't listed on the "accepted list" of option codes, so, the first group (sales) that he (Service Manager) said it couldn't be done. He had contacted them before I even picked the car up as I had told them I wanted the DRLs (thanks to them trying) and based on what he was told he thought it was a dead issue.

Told him of the postings on the forum and he contacted the service group out of Pittsburgh. They managed to get the code added despite it not appearing to be a "valid" listing for my year, model and country of origin codes. The next problem occurred when they attempted to turn them on through the TIPM...turns out that the "on/off" software switch for the car's systems isn't in the TIPM; the BCM (body control module) had to be updated with the new VIN information (that now included the LMK code as an option on the car) and viola! DRLs that work as advertised and are controlled now through the UConnect system in the car (I can control whether they are on or off with the car's UConnect system).

One happy camper here!

Thanks to everyone here and at Bedford Chrysler for their help and diligence in getting this sorted out. :mademyday:

Are the DRLs for the journey the high beam at a lower voltage so its not at full brightness?

Yes, and apparently a lower voltage than that of the Jeep Commander I had. The Jeep's high beam DRLs were dimmer than the regular high beams, but, still quite bright. The Journey's high beam DRLs are quite pleasant; definitely not a "bright spot" to either oncoming vehicles or those immediately ahead of me, but. still noticable as "this car has headlights on". When I use the turn signals, the reduced high beam on that side turns off for the duration of the time the turn signal is on making the turn signal that much easier to view by oncoming traffic; haven't verified that they actually do, but, I did notice at the shop that they appeared to behave that way (I could watch them working on it through the window). As I was watching, they ran the turn signals and from my vantage point, the high beam bulb on that side appeared to go off and, of course, they go off when not in a drive gear or when the emergency brake is on...

• Official Dodge Support
The DRL turns off when you activate the turn signal

This is correct and how it should work for better visibility. If they do not turn off when turn signal is activated then they need to be checked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, would these options with the drl's to be activated work in a 2013 R/T Journey brought in Australia?

I know there is the option to have them on in the Uconnect as I asked the dealer if it had drl's, he said no but there was an option to turn them on in the Uconnect system even though they didn't have them.

Maybe he doesn't know about all this.

• Official Dodge Support
Hi, would these options with the drl's to be activated work in a 2013 R/T Journey brought in Australia?

I know there is the option to have them on in the Uconnect as I asked the dealer if it had drl's, he said no but there was an option to turn them on in the Uconnect system even though they didn't have them.

Maybe he doesn't know about all this.

It's possible that it could be done in the same manner it was done here however since different countries have different options, laws, and mandates I cannot give you a definite answer to your question. Hopefully the dealership service department there would take the time to contact someone at Chrysler in Australia to find out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

It is the high beam lights that illuminate. The Jeep Commander that I had was at 50% power, that's what I was told anyway when we figured out how to get them lit (it was a struggle with it, too. Had to have Jeep switched to Canada, enable the DRLs, then switch it back to US). In comparison to the Jeep's high beam DRLs, then I would have to say that the Journey's high beams are only about 25-30% power. They are lit and quite noticeable, but, appear only half as bright as the Jeep's...my wife followed me up to the dealer once and the Jeep was "borderline" annoying to me with her following within a couple of car lenths. When we got the Journey's lit, they were fairly bright, but, nowhere near an "annoying" bright. The high beams on the Journey are directly above the turn signals, so, when you use the turn signal, the high beam directly above it turns off until the turn signal is cancelled so that the turn signal is more visible. A sweet system, and with the UConnect controller, if, for some reason, I don't want them on, a quick soft button on the screen turns them off.

I still think that since the car is manufactured with all the hardware and controllers in place, Dodge should just enable them (in the US) by default and have the UConnect control set to "off" and let the user decide after delivery whether they want them on or not; it isn't like they are saving money by having US purchasers have to get the LMK code added to the VIN and then have the car flashed...it would be so much easier to just enable them when the car is built and have the UConnect set to "off". Let the consumer decide when and if to enable them via UConnect.

Edit: Typing slower than the brain is thinking! Turn signals are above the high beams! Duh!!! :doh:

Edited by webslave