Daytime Running Lights Activated

generaltso

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks for the info DodgeCares. Off-topic question for you---Are you here as an actual representative of dodge/Chrysler? If so, that's pretty cool.

Craft,

I work for Chrysler and am located in the HQ building in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

Thanks Chris. Your info is much appreciated, as always. Any idea why Chrysler made the decision to have DRLs disabled in the first place? Seems like a weird decision considering they are one of the few vehicle manufacturers that actually allow an owner to turn them on and off at will. For the life of me, I can't think of a reason why that would make sense.

Well. Went to the dealership after work today. The Service Advisor continued to insist that my problem is a lack of HARDWARE, not a lack of SOFTWARE. Ugh. In spite of all the anecdotal evidence I have collected. At least he said he'd talk to technical support and do some research.

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks Chris. Your info is much appreciated, as always. Any idea why Chrysler made the decision to have DRLs disabled in the first place? Seems like a weird decision considering they are one of the few vehicle manufacturers that actually allow an owner to turn them on and off at will. For the life of me, I can't think of a reason why that would make sense.

General,

I cannot answer that question but I can tell you that I get as many requests as to how to turn them off as I do about how to turn them on. Some people like them and some people don't.

Some people like them and some people don't.

That's exactly my point. I assume that's why the Uconnect system has a menu option to turn them on and off. I know you can't usually please everyone, but in this case having the DRLs enabled on every DJ from the factory actually would please everyone. Those who like them could leave them on and those who don't like them could just turn them off through the Uconnect menu. It seems like a weird decision to take that option away from the customer by overriding the user option in the menu and keeping them disabled on most DJs out of the factory. There must be a reason for that decision, I just can't figure out what it would be.

My plot thickens.... Last night John from Chrysler Customer Care told me to have my dealership call them, and they would inform them that it was possible to activate my DRL. Cool. BUT: Today I got this response to an email I sent CCC two days ago::

Attachments, pictures and links in this message have been blocked for your safety. Show content

Dear Kris

Thank you for contacting the Dodge Customer Assistance Center regarding

your 2012 DODGE JOURNEY SE HATCHBACK.

We can advise you that Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) are standard

equipment on vehicles manufactured

for sale in Canada and optional on vehicles manufactured for the United

States.

Journeys built with this feature must show Sales Code ANF or LMK, but

according to our records your vehicle has neither so therefore your

vehicle was not equipped with Daytime Running lights feature.

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Alex

Customer Service Representative

Dodge Customer Assistance

Today I got this response to an email I sent CCC two days ago:

The info they sent you is correct. Your DJ does not have the Sales Code for DRLs, and is therefore not equipped with them. What they neglected to tell you is that your DJ can easily be equipped with them by simply adding the Sales Code to your VIN. The dealer has this capability with their DealerConnect software.

• 1 month later...

The info they sent you is correct. Your DJ does not have the Sales Code for DRLs, and is therefore not equipped with them. What they neglected to tell you is that your DJ can easily be equipped with them by simply adding the Sales Code to your VIN. The dealer has this capability with their DealerConnect software.

The hardware is always there or only in some models?

I have a fiat freemont urban, which is halfway between sxt and crew, do you think it should have the necessary hardware?

The hardware is always there or only in some models?

I have a fiat freemont urban, which is halfway between sxt and crew, do you think it should have the necessary hardware?

I don't know about the Fiat version, but I would think the required hardware would be there like in the Journey.

The Fiat version is just like the Dodge one with a different powertrain.

An user on an Italian forum has been told by the dealer than the option is only available on some models, without specifying which ones, but I think it's the same bs that dealers in the states are spewing.

Keep in mind that DRL are compulsory in the EU, but only for vehicles type-approved since February 2011, so the Journey/Freemont can still be sold without them, however I think it's stupid to disable them if they're there.

• 3 months later...

Yeah some people like them some hate it.

I used to HATE them on my 08 caravan, when I had it.

I wanted HIDs for the entire 3.5 years I had it, but couldn't cause of the stupid DRLs.

Funny thing is that most 08s didn't have DRL standard. Only fleet cars had them standard.

My 11 has them, but atleast it's a seperate bulb. I'm enjoying my HIDs everyday. 😍

Man, what a cluster! I was going to ask my dealer to enable them on my next maintenance visit, but I don't think it's going to be worth the effort.

I've heard that new firmware has been released for the radio and Uconnect system, but I'm thinking that it will be too much hassle getting that done too.

Where'd you hear that? I'm not aware of a new firmware available for Uconnect.

Yep, available for all vehicles manufactured before 1/1/12. See here:

http://www.jeepforum...update-1348562/

TSB # is 08-018-12

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer satisfaction enhancements are included with this software release:

NOTE: After the HFM has been updated it will receive these enhancements.

· Reduced “Device Reading” wait time after connecting a device to the remote USB port.

· Call / Dial separation improves upon names being recognized as phone numbers.

· Improved sound quality during Bluetooth streaming.

· Increased iPod and iPhone compatibility.

· SMS messaging support via MAP protocol (not all phones support the MAP

protocol).

· Added “None of These” and “Correction” to the phone book prompt menu for better

handling of similar names.

· Previous button will return the song currently being played to the beginning of the

track.

· AirPlay feature “Dock Connector” no longer needs to be manually selected on Apple

devices. This will resolve the “No Audio” condition when the device is connected to

the remote USB port and dock connector is not selected.

NOTE: USB mode resume will no longer 'resume' after ignition OFF

Edited by EBK