Daytime Running Lights Activated

generaltso

I still maintain that there is a certain amount of BS coming out of Dodge concerning this. The 2013 merely needed the LMK code, there is no substantial difference between the 2013, 2014 and 2015. It evidently has had a code change that prevents the simple adding of the LMK code, however, the fact remains that, essentially, the same car, in Canada has the DRLs activated. Obviously there is a way to activate them at some point in assembly since they roll off the same line. If they can be "turned on" at the factory, there must be a way to get them "turned on" after the fact. Whether that is something that Dodge wants to admit, that is a different story. Has anyone actually ordered the DRL option and had them work? If Dodge is going to stick to the "no way Jose" line, then it behooves them to remove the coding from the UConnect software, since if the only way you can DRLs is if they are mandatory, and being mandatory, you can't turn them off, then there is no reason to have the on/off coding for the DRLs in the software. They should either make the DRLs operative, or, quit advertising them as an option and remove the on/off selection from the UConnect system.

Has anyone actually ordered the DRL option and had them work?

I've run a VIN or two with DRL listed as an option. As a manager, I have access to the order pages on our system, and I've "built" a couple of vehicles just for kicks (and deleted them before actually ordering them, of course!) and yes, DRL is a stand-alone option. Interestingly enough, it was a stand alone option when I ordered my 2013 Crew as well, but as most of us know now, all that was needed to make them work was code LMK. I concur with what you say about removing the option from the menu screen altogether. Either offer it or don't. Clear up the manual so that it does not lead people to believe that the vehicle has a feature when it really doesn't. What I am waiting for Dodge to confirm is my theory that sales code LMK has become proprietary to the factory and is no longer available at the dealer level, which all indications point to being true. They can add it but we can't. You are correct in that the cars are identical in every way to 2013 except for the addition of the Crossroad which is strictly trim items and some badge engineering, i.e. the change in the name from Crew to Limited.

Last 8 of VIN: FT520425.

Just returned from a futile visit to Dealer.

Per STAR response: For 2015 there is NO sales code for DRL therefore it is Not Possible to add and therefore not possible to activate DRL. If true, I smell a Class Action Lawsuit brewing.

Owners manual clearly states DRL are automatic and the UConnect has the DRL On/Off feature.

How do I escalate this?

By the way: LOVE my Journey.... Good job Dodge but come on: Figure out how to fix the DRL problem........

Sorry to say but same deal as 2014. Worth a shot, though - thanks for providing me with the info. This is very frustrating for me as well. No one has given me any clear, factual answer as to why sales code LMK has disappeared and yet the capability to toggle the DRL on and off remains on the radio screen. I'll keep after it on my end but even STAR gave me no more information than what they wrote back to your manager... and I've made two detailed inquiries and also sent a PM to DodgeCares here on the forum and have not yet heard back.

WooHoo! I've got DRLs!

Dealership added the LMK code. It wasn't listed on the "accepted list" of option codes, so, the first group (sales) that he (Service Manager) said it couldn't be done. He had contacted them before I even picked the car up as I had told them I wanted the DRLs (thanks to them trying) and based on what he was told he thought it was a dead issue.

Told him of the postings on the forum and he contacted the service group out of Pittsburgh. They managed to get the code added despite it not appearing to be a "valid" listing for my year, model and country of origin codes. The next problem occurred when they attempted to turn them on through the TIPM...turns out that the "on/off" software switch for the car's systems isn't in the TIPM; the BCM (body control module) had to be updated with the new VIN information (that now included the LMK code as an option on the car) and viola! DRLs that work as advertised and are controlled now through the UConnect system in the car (I can control whether they are on or off with the car's UConnect system).

One happy camper here!

I thought this was solved already based on the above post.

Heard back today from Regina @ DodgeCares. Yesterday, I re-sent an edited/updated version of my original message that I had sent out in early August to her and she replied right away. I suspect she never got my original.

She is in turn waiting for a response from her tech contact. Like me, she got mixed information from her sources and is trying to come up with some factual answeres to our quandary. She hopes to have an answer next week. I'll share with you all as soon as I hear.

Getting NOWHERE with emailing Chrysler Customer Service about this issue.

They came back twice with the same B.S. Response: DRL is only a stand alone option that once the DJ is built, that's it!

They tried to tell me DRL is hardware. We all know DJ's are built the same USA/Canada so the wiring is all the same.

It's a software issue that a Dealer can no longer access. Chrysler doesn't see it that way.

I am SO frustrated....... Anybody have a good name and email contact for someone inside Dodge/Chrysler that can investigate this issue at a technical BCM programming level?

I have been avoiding this thread because it has become nothing more than an annoyance at this point, but I broke down today and read a few of the most recent replies. I understand that some people like the DRL feature (not sure why, but that doesn't really matter), but what I don't get is why people are so pissed about not having it when it is an option that needs to be ordered from the factory... If you didn't order it then you don't get it, get over it. There are thousands of options for DRLs that look and operate a lot better than the OEM version anyway. Rather than battle Chrysler and threaten lawsuits, why not spend the $20 and 30 minutes of time to put something else in????

So, it might be more practical to add my own DRL, maybe LEDs , but now have to figure out a wiring process.

Absolutely! They will look a hundred times better anyways... Good luck, and share with us what you decide on (maybe it will settle everyone down a little when they see there are other options).

I have been avoiding this thread because it has become nothing more than an annoyance at this point, but I broke down today and read a few of the most recent replies. I understand that some people like the DRL feature (not sure why, but that doesn't really matter), but what I don't get is why people are so pissed about not having it when it is an option that needs to be ordered from the factory... If you didn't order it then you don't get it, get over it. There are thousands of options for DRLs that look and operate a lot better than the OEM version anyway. Rather than battle Chrysler and threaten lawsuits, why not spend the $20 and 30 minutes of time to put something else in????

Thank you.....The things people get so upset about sometimes....lol

Edited by jkeaton

I think what most people are annoyed about are two things... Why have software to control something when not only is it not there, there isn't any way to get it. Most every "option" whether ordered from the factory or not, can be dealer installed. Don't have the oil cooler? The dealer will be happy to charge you for it and install it. Don't have the luggage rack? Again, the dealer will be more than happy to install it for you (for a fee). Don't have the custom wheels? Order them from the dealer. Want DRLs? You're SOL. That's what most people are upset about. I don't think most want them for free, but, they are being told that there is absolutely no way to get the stock DRLs. Whether you like them or not, whether you think the aftermarket looks better, the fact of the matter is that if for some reason you a) didn't know that option was available when you ordered your car b)you bought from dealer stock but want to "upgrade" your purchase or c) you just plain thought that they came with the ability (and they do), there is, apparently, no way after the vehicle leaves the assembly line to have them installed. Evidently, the only thing on the car that can't be installed/fixed/replaced after the car leaves the building.

As for aftermarket, as opposed to stock, I'll take stock. If for some reason I want them off; I turn them off or on via UConnect. The stock look fully integrated to the car (they are). Aftermarket units will always look like "aftermarket" additions since they aren't vehicle specific and they have to be added to the vehicle in places that don't look "designed in". Aftermarket also requires some knowledge of wiring to get them installed properly and with the CANBus, there is always the chance that you can place a load on a monitored line that the system isn't set for and whatever splices you make are subject to weathering and faults. There are also many folks out there that want DRLs, but, don't know which end of wire stripper to hold, let alone how to find a "hot only when running" wire that is bundled up in the wiring harness wraps or how to tap into the power distribution block without melting down the whole bus or how to get them mounted so that they aren't dragging the ground or hanging by their wires after the first freeze or rain. The stock DRL is built in; nothing to fudge, nothing to kludge and if there is a problem with them, the dealer will take care of them under warranty. Yes there appears to be a lot of "angst" and I suspect as more "new" buyers find out they may have been hoodwinked by Dodge (I think they have been based on my reasoning in the first paragraph), there will be new folks wringing their hands and wondering whether anything new has been found for getting them to work. Short of locking the thread, folks are going to be coming here and venting (that's a forum's number one use; whether that is the intention or not). I, fortunately, have a '13 and got mine working. I don't come back to this thread often, but, I do "check in" sometimes just to see if anything's changed. If you aren't interested in the thread, you can always just skip it... For those of you that want your DRLs activated, I hope, that through enough customer pressure, something may, eventually, be done for you. I don't think a law suit is the way to go, but, I'm not into the "sue'em" type mentality, but, maybe enough email complaints to the corporate office will get something moving for you.

Edited by webslave

Absolutely! They will look a hundred times better anyways... Good luck, and share with us what you decide on (maybe it will settle everyone down a little when they see there are other options).

I'm not annoyed by it. I just thought it would have been a simple software flash.

That said, I am Canadian and this car might be coming up to Canada in the future so that's why I inquired about the DRL activation.

I'm not annoyed by it. I just thought it would have been a simple software flash.

That said, I am Canadian and this car might be coming up to Canada in the future so that's why I inquired about the DRL activation.

I wasn't suggesting that you were annoyed by it, I was sayng that it is getting annoying hearing everyone complain about it. Sounds like you have a valid need (unlike many others who post on the topic).

I wonder how that works... Are you moving there? I wonder if they would be able to change it at a Canadian dealer...

Edited by Lobitz68

I think what most people are annoyed about are two things... Why have software to control something when not only is it not there, there isn't any way to get it. Most every "option" whether ordered from the factory or not, can be dealer installed. Don't have the oil cooler? The dealer will be happy to charge you for it and install it. Don't have the luggage rack? Again, the dealer will be more than happy to install it for you (for a fee). Don't have the custom wheels? Order them from the dealer. Want DRLs? You're SOL. That's what most people are upset about. I don't think most want them for free, but, they are being told that there is absolutely no way to get the stock DRLs. Whether you like them or not, whether you think the aftermarket looks better, the fact of the matter is that if for some reason you a) didn't know that option was available when you ordered your car b)you bought from dealer stock but want to "upgrade" your purchase or c) you just plain thought that they came with the ability (and they do), there is, apparently, no way after the vehicle leaves the assembly line to have them installed. Evidently, the only thing on the car that can't be installed/fixed/replaced after the car leaves the building.

As for aftermarket, as opposed to stock, I'll take stock. If for some reason I want them off; I turn them off or on via UConnect. The stock look fully integrated to the car (they are). Aftermarket units will always look like "aftermarket" additions since they aren't vehicle specific and they have to be added to the vehicle in places that don't look "designed in". Aftermarket also requires some knowledge of wiring to get them installed properly and with the CANBus, there is always the chance that you can place a load on a monitored line that the system isn't set for and whatever splices you make are subject to weathering and faults. There are also many folks out there that want DRLs, but, don't know which end of wire stripper to hold, let alone how to find a "hot only when running" wire that is bundled up in the wiring harness wraps or how to tap into the power distribution block without melting down the whole bus or how to get them mounted so that they aren't dragging the ground or hanging by their wires after the first freeze or rain. The stock DRL is built in; nothing to fudge, nothing to kludge and if there is a problem with them, the dealer will take care of them under warranty. Yes there appears to be a lot of "angst" and I suspect as more "new" buyers find out they may have been hoodwinked by Dodge (I think they have been based on my reasoning in the first paragraph), there will be new folks wringing their hands and wondering whether anything new has been found for getting them to work. Short of locking the thread, folks are going to be coming here and venting (that's a forum's number one use; whether that is the intention or not). I, fortunately, have a '13 and got mine working. I don't come back to this thread often, but, I do "check in" sometimes just to see if anything's changed. If you aren't interested in the thread, you can always just skip it... For those of you that want your DRLs activated, I hope, that through enough customer pressure, something may, eventually, be done for you. I don't think a law suit is the way to go, but, I'm not into the "sue'em" type mentality, but, maybe enough email complaints to the corporate office will get something moving for you.

I get why people are upset, and like you I just check in once in a while (because it does get old to read over and over).

As far as aftermarket, you can pay someone to install them and there are hundreds of very well integrated options available... All I'm saying is that a) they aren't mandatory, b ) they don't gain you anything that can't be accomplished by turning on your fogs/side markers/headlights and c) a lawsuit over something like this is BEYOND ridiculous... If it is that important, there are very viable ways to accomplish the same thing without overreacting and using words like "lawsuit"...

The amount of angst over something so meaningless and (in my opinion) useless just blows my mind.

Edited by Lobitz68

I get why people are upset, and like you I just check in once in a while (because it does get old to read over and over).

As far as aftermarket, you can pay someone to install them and there are hundreds of very well integrated options available... All I'm saying is that a) they aren't mandatory, b ) they don't gain you anything that can't be accomplished by turning on your fogs/side markers/headlights and c) a lawsuit over something like this is BEYOND ridiculous... If it is that important, there are very viable ways to accomplish the same thing without overreacting and using words like "lawsuit"...

The amount of angst over something so meaningless and (in my opinion) useless just blows my mind.

I think the reason why this topic has morphed into what it has boils down to something very basic. The car shows a feature that can be enabled if the owner so desires. Nothing happens when the feature is enabled. The owner inquires at the dealership level as to why the feature does not work. No one at the dealership level can provide a factual answer because the parent company has failed to issue such an answer on the matter. That's when the sparks begin to fly.

I've said this numerous times before - I *think* the sales code has been made into a factory-only sales option. All I'm asking of Dodge is to simply confirm it. If so, then yes - either the car has it or it does not and let's move on. But no one at Dodge has confirmed my theory so for now, I'm guessing. My customers don't come to me for guesses, they want facts. That is the issue that irks me the most and is the reason why I persist.

I think the reason why this topic has morphed into what it has boils down to something very basic. The car shows a feature that can be enabled if the owner so desires. Nothing happens when the feature is enabled. The owner inquires at the dealership level as to why the feature does not work. No one at the dealership level can provide a factual answer because the parent company has failed to issue such an answer on the matter. That's when the sparks begin to fly.

I've said this numerous times before - I *think* the sales code has been made into a factory-only sales option. All I'm asking of Dodge is to simply confirm it. If so, then yes - either the car has it or it does not and let's move on. But no one at Dodge has confirmed my theory so for now, I'm guessing. My customers don't come to me for guesses, they want facts. That is the issue that irks me the most and is the reason why I persist.

That would be irritating...to not be able to do your job at the level you expect of yourself because someone else won't do theirs.

• 4 months later...