Daytime Running Lights Activated

generaltso

The high beams on the Journey are directly above the turn signals, so, when you use the turn signal, the high beam directly above it turns off until the turn signal is cancelled so that the turn signal is more visible. A sweet system, and with the UConnect controller, if, for some reason, I don't want them on, a quick soft button on the screen turns them off.

Thanks but I'm still a bit confused, did you mean that the High beam is directly below the turn signal because that is how it is on mine.

Thanks but I'm still a bit confused, did you mean that the High beam is directly below the turn signal because that is how it is on mine.

Yep, below... I was typing slower than I was thinking. The wife was patiently (well, almost patiently) waiting for me at the door to run into town while I was typing. :hammer_self: Turn signal above, high beam below; high beam is DRL and goes out when the turn signal above goes on.

OK, I have an 09 R/T. Can I get DRL's to work on mine? I see there is a spot for a relay but no relay. Do I just need to add a relay or is there more to it? A USA car btw....

Can't answer your question, technically, for certain, but, it appears that the '09 and '10s did not come from the factory with everything in place, with the exception of the LMK option code, in order for the DRLs to be enabled.

I don't have any technical knowledge about it, just anecdotal evidence from this thread, that only has posts from those of us with 2011 and newer Journey's being able to get them turned on, after getting the LMK added to our VIN; no additional hardware needed. My best guess is that in 2011, the control was passed from hardware relays to software switching and power control in a software change to the Canbus.

Maybe Chrysler Cares can answer better, but, evidently, the '11-'13 models have all the necessary hardware, and even the software, to have the DRLs, they just lack the option code LMK to have them actually work. He may be able to point you in the direction necessary to get them to work. I remember, on my 1996 Grand Caravan that all I did to get that vehicle's DRLs to light up (the turn signals on bright) was to buy the relay (a Canadian standard part at the time) and plug it in. Perhaps the '09 and '10 Journeys were like that. If that is the case, I remember that the dealership didn't have a listing for the relay's part number; they were looking at a US parts list, but, upon looking at a Canadian part list, the part number was listed and they ordered me one. I received the relay and plugged it in and the DRLs were lit...nothing else needed, just the Canadian relay.

Edited by webslave

Daytime running lights use the high beam light with approximately 50% reduced power, using the high beam bulb is a good idea as most of us do not use high beams very often so now the bulb is in use constantly, Canada made DRLs mandatory in January 1st 1990 on all new passenger vehicles.

The advantages are, being seen on a dull day, in the rain, in general and on hot days on the highway with heat haze, having mandatory DRLs compensates for those drivers who do not put on there headlights on the above. I would highly recommend you enable this feature on your U.S Journeys if possible.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White

Well it sounds like its not possible do it in New Zealand, dealer contacted Chrysler NZ and confirm they can't do it. If anyone in NZ have any success I would like to know :)

I have, as previously mentioned, been in contact with Chrysler New Zealand and can regretfully confirm that the option for the daytime running lamps cannot be activated on your Dodge Journey. Apparently the code that needs to be available to activate the system is not able to simply be loaded against the vehicle in our market region which means we cannot then change the codings to activate the daytime lamps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tell them to add the sales code for the DRLs

There's 2 different codes listed on the dealer connect site.

I saw them when my dealer was working on my DJs radio swap.

@ genaraltso: which code did they use on yours?

Since he (generaltso) is located in the US, they probably used the same code for his that they used for mine - LMK. That was the only "new" code added to my build sheet (I have a before and after to compare) It now shows on my build sheet in the Special Equipment - Dealer Installed Option as "LMKA". Dodge Cares can probably clarify, but, it looks like the "A" at the end is added by their system to denote the type of build code it is...there is "P" suffix, I'll guess it is for "p"ackage, there is an "S" suffix, I'll guess it is "s"tandard equipment, etc. When a problem occurs, the suffix would give the technician an area on the build sheet to start looking to see if the code existed...my build sheet has a "boatload" (two pages worth) of these "codes" that describe my vehicle, much like DNA for the car.

In my thinking, from a corporate standpoint, I would think the code (LMK) would be a world-wide application code for the DRL's. I would think, again from a corporate standpoint, that it would get terribly confusing for engineers / technicians from various parts of the world to have to cross reference codes for the same application to know what the other was talking about. Now, whether DRLs are legal in your part of the world...I would think the easiest way to tell is from a General Motors product. To the best of my knowledge, all GM vehicles roll out of the factory with their DRLs enabled and "On" as part of the standard build. That's why I found it so intriguing that MOPAR was so obtuse in theirs, despite the car being built with ability. If the GM vehicles in your neck of the world have them "On", then, I would think, that there wouldn't be any legal reason for them to not be used. If GM products don't have the DRLs on, then, there may in fact be a legal reason for not having them as the GM factory would have to have gone to the effort to turn them "off" for that location. The trick then, to me, would be in getting the dealer to add the LMK code to your build and then flashing the BCM with that new VIN information so that it arms all the appropriate circuits. Now, getting them to "over-ride" a local or regional aversion to doing it will be the difficult part.

All the above is analysis and supposition on my part...there may be underlying problems that aren't apparent to me; but the above is my best WAG.

Edited by webslave

I am grateful to see this topic spring up as I just purchased a new to me 2011 DJ Crew and the option in the menu system but not working was concerning me. I drive a lot on the interstate through construction zones and I'm all for anything that helps other drivers see me better.

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering, since this feature is in my Journey SXT, Do I have to pay them to activate it?

Thanks.

I didn't pay anything for getting mine activated, but, when I ordered my R/T, I specifically told them I wanted them to be working. Initially they said it couldn't be done (I've got several posts in this thread), but, with some perseverence and some help from DodgeCares we did get them to work as they are supposed to. Now, that being said, I live in a rural area and I've bought more than a couple of vehicles over the years at my dealership and know most of the staff and we are on a first name basis. I'm sure that it is a billable work ticket...whether they actually charge for it, though, is up to the dealer. If they know what they are doing, it shouldn't take long and shouldn't cost that much if they do charge you. All you can do is ask...as with most of the dealerships, they will probably tell you it can't be done at all, but...

Edited by webslave

• 2 months later...

Took delivery of my 2013 SXT about a week ago and found out about the DRL issue after we couldn't turn them on. Took it back to the dealer and explained what I learned on here and they didn't know about it either, but they looked it up and flashed the code in and no problem. They came on and didn't charge me for the flash. Maybe because it was only a week old. But was great that they didn't question me or balk at the request. So don't let your dealer tell you it can't be done.

• 4 weeks later...

it's also worth noting that in many European countries the DRLs can be run through the fog lights instead of the high beams. I really want to set mine up this way and we tried a few different codes at my dealer which they claimed didn't work. I'm sure it's possible but most dealers don't want to spend the time testing things with the software. It should be code LNL.

The Scandinavian coutries require the clearance lights to be on at all times (we often call them parking lights), that code should be LMN. Eithier of these options would look better than the high beam, imo.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope the dealer is able to get the DRL's enabled for you.

DodgeCares,

I am going to purchase a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT on Saturday. The vin# is 3C4PDCBG1CT134568. Does it have the DRL's and how do I get them activated if it does?

• Official Dodge Support

Here's how to check -

Daytime Running Lights (DRL) — If Equipped
The Daytime Running Lights will turn ON the first time
the vehicle is shifted out of PARK, and remain ON unless
the parking brake is applied. Upon returning to the
PARK position, the DRLs will turn OFF. DRLs will turn
OFF when the ignition is switched OFF.
NOTE: The daytime running lights can be turned on
and off using the Uconnect Touch™ System, refer to
“Uconnect Touch™ Settings — Customer Programmable
Features” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for
further information.

• Daytime Running Lights
Touch the Daytime Running Lights soft-key to change
this display. When this feature is selected, the headlights
will turn on whenever the engine is running. To make
your selection, touch the Daytime Running Lights softkey
and select ON or OFF. Then touch the arrow back
soft-key.

• 1 month later...

50 cents from my side. Just got my DRLs activated.

I have 2014 DJ SXT without auto lights. It took about 10 minutes to explain what exactly I wanted to the dealer. They didn't understand "activate" DRLs: they walked me through the uConnect menu showing the tick in setup menu that I have to mark to let DRLs be activated, but nothing happened (what a surprise!). After a brief discussion an tries, they finally understood that I'd like to ADD DRLs. It went smooth since then. They said 2014 are same as 2013 and "reprogrammed" DRLs for a fee. I didn't mind since I got used so much to DRLs.

DRLs are high beams at 50% or even lower output and according to the dealership there is no option to chose another light for DRLs.

Thus, "IF EQUIPPED" in the previous post is jst a matter of activating the DRLs at your dealership, I assume all DJ are "equipped" with DRLs, but for some reasons they are disabled.

Good luck

DodgeCares,

I am going to purchase a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT on Saturday. The vin# is 3C4PDCBG1CT134568. Does it have the DRL's and how do I get them activated if it does?

Tell the dealer to add the DRL sales code "LMK" to your VIN. Once done, the tech can enable the lights.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I have read this thread a couple of times and I didn't want to just lazily ask a question that's already been answered. Having said that, it seems that a few different things have worked for a few different people. I recently bought a 2012 DJ AVP. There is no "auto" on the dial, but on the settings screen, there is an option to turn DRL on/off. Not surprisingly, this doesn't work. So, from this thread, I've gathered that my best course of action is to contact the dealer and have them add the sales code "LMK" to my VIN. I assume I'll have to schedule a time to have the tech/maintenance guys have the lights enabled. This all sound right? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey folks,

I have read this thread a couple of times and I didn't want to just lazily ask a question that's already been answered. Having said that, it seems that a few different things have worked for a few different people. I recently bought a 2012 DJ AVP. There is no "auto" on the dial, but on the settings screen, there is an option to turn DRL on/off. Not surprisingly, this doesn't work. So, from this thread, I've gathered that my best course of action is to contact the dealer and have them add the sales code "LMK" to my VIN. I assume I'll have to schedule a time to have the tech/maintenance guys have the lights enabled. This all sound right? Thanks in advance for any help.

That should do it. AFAIK, auto lights is not required to have the DRL function on your Journey. The DRL light, no matter what trim level, is required by our friends north of the border, so any Journey, any trim level has to have them. The hardware and software is in all the Journeys, for North America at any rate, so, all you need to do is to have the code LMK added to your build and flashed to the computer system. Once your Journey has the code in its memory, it will enable the soft switch in your UConnect to turn them on or off. Simple enough really, but, a lot of the dealerships aren't, evidently, trained with the finer art of VIN manipulation, and, really, why would they? Usually your car comes with all the features on it enabled from the factory...still not sure why MOPAR doesn't just enable all of the vehicles with inherent DRL ability and let the owners decide, but, they don't.

So, not surprisingly, my dealership has no one that has a clue what I was asking about. Would it be more helpful if I called a "higher" location (dodge hq or something) and got them to call the dealership? The lady said if I came in for an oil change or whatever they'd be happy to look at it, but obviously it won't do much good if they don't know what to look for.

Thanks

So, not surprisingly, my dealership has no one that has a clue what I was asking about. Would it be more helpful if I called a "higher" location (dodge hq or something) and got them to call the dealership? The lady said if I came in for an oil change or whatever they'd be happy to look at it, but obviously it won't do much good if they don't know what to look for.

Thanks

You might take them a printout of the pertinent portions of this thread (adding the code LMK to the VIN) and the flashing of the BCM with the new VIN information...(once they've done those two steps, the UConnect soft switch should work without any other steps). That may be all the help they need or you could have them contact their regional service support office (for my area, it is located in Pittsburgh). By now, the regional office should have encountered this "problem" and would know the proper "tech speak" to convey to the dealership what needs to be done in language they understand. It really isn't rocket science, but, it is "outside the box" for their most common service tasks.

Print this out and bring it to your dealership:

STAR Case

Contact the STAR Center for assistance if no solution is found

Chrysler Group LLC Version 1

Case Number:

S1108000159

Release Date:

04/02/2013

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Daytime Running Lamps Inoperative

Diagnosis:

Owners may complain that the daytime running lamps are inoperative.

Repair Procedure:

Daytime running lamps will not operate. No DTC’s in any modules.

Select the radio settings menu

and select lighting, select Daytime Running Lamps (enable or disable feature).

If the radio option is not available, review the vehicle configuration to make sure the vehicle is

equipped with the daytime running lamps sales code. Adding the sales code LMK and performing a

vehicle restoration will add the feature.

Verification:

Test the operation to complete.