Front Air Deflector (do it yourself)

Hi,

In case anyone is considering adding a front air deflector to his journey, don't make it install at the dealer (unless you're really bad with tools).

They charge about 100$ + tx for that and it took me about 20 minutes by doing it really carefully. For sure you will need to drill 4 holes on the inside of the hood but it ts done easily.

By the way, I strongly suggest to install a deflector, after only 2 months I already had 3 rocks chips on my hood.

If anyone have any question on the procedure, just ask! :)

By the way, I strongly suggest to install a deflector, after only 2 months I already had 3 rocks chips on my hood.

I put both the hood and sunroof air deflectors on and it made a big difference.

Terry

141743334.jpg

Edited by Windancer

Any chance you could post a few pics of it on your Journey?

Here are some pics

#1 : Pic of the installed Deflector

2a678cl.jpg

#2 : Pic of one of the 4 screws that needs drilling into the hood. Actually you need to drill a hole, then put a plastic plug into the hole. That plastic plug will receive the screw. There is also two more screws (visible from the outside of the deflector), those screws are screwed into some kind of brackets that are hold in place without drilling.

2uqg6z9.jpg

Hello, was wondering if someone could answer this question. We have a 2011 Journey R/T. We have a Kayak that we haul on the roof. When we secure the front of the Kayak to the underside of the front of the Journey we are getting some scuffing on the hood where the cable rubs. What would people's opinion be of installing the air deflector to fix this problem? We tighten the front cable pretty tight - would this end up bending the deflector too much and breaking it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

We have a Kayak that we haul on the roof. When we secure the front of the Kayak to the underside of the front of the Journey we are getting some scuffing on the hood where the cable rubs. What would people's opinion be of installing the air deflector to fix this problem? We tighten the front cable pretty tight - would this end up bending the deflector too much and breaking it?

How long are your kayaks? I transport both my 17 footers and the front ties don' t come close to the hood. I don't think you want to use your air deflector as a spacer for this rope.143687425.jpg

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post on this... I went ahead and took the plunge and bought and attempted the install tonight. I was pretty concerned with the drilling of the holes and making sure they were drilled right so the deflector wasn't crooked... It was a little awkward to drill since the hood it up, but went pretty good. Just had one issue with drilling where after I drilled through the bottom of the hood there was some kind of metal plate in the way, so I drilled a second hole right beside it, and that worked fine.

Pretty easy to do overall. You will need to make sure you have the right size drill bit (6mm or 15/64). I would say the hardest part of the process was just making sure it was centred, which was actually not too bad either.

Hi,

In case anyone is considering adding a front air deflector to his journey, don't make it install at the dealer (unless you're really bad with tools).

They charge about 100$ + tx for that and it took me about 20 minutes by doing it really carefully. For sure you will need to drill 4 holes on the inside of the hood but it ts done easily.

If anyone have any question on the procedure, just ask! :)

Your deflector looks great, and I think it's definitely needed since the Journey has an aluminum hood. I think the deflector helps to keep the rocks and stones off the hood (hopefully not into the windshield), however I noticed that your deflector stops at the edge of the hood. My deflector actually extends past the edge of the hood onto the fender by a few extra inches; I thought this was also important to help deflect junk.

Just my two cents worth, Happy Motoring...

• 4 weeks later...

The AVS Bug Deflector ll (P/N 25404) extends over the to cover the leading edge of the fenders. Otherwise it has a similar profile to the Mopar accessory shield. I just installed one on my Journey and it fits great. It's held on by 2 screws and double sided tape. Also it's not listed for the 2011 so you have to order for the 2010.

AVS P/N 25040 is the correct number for the Journey sorry for the mistype.

Edited by coolram62

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bad with drills. :( Any deflector that doesn't need drilling so I can easily unhook especially when going thru a auto wash?

Although I don't see front deflector's on the Weathertech site (can I say "Weathertech"?) other places sell "Weathertech" deflectors. An example for the 2011 Journey can be seen here Drilless Deflector. I put a deflector on my 2010 Ram and no drilling was required and it never came off even in an automated car wash. Some kind of nylon clamps were involved. I was doubtful but it held.

I still can't find a chrome deflector for the 2011. Are the 2010 hoods the same as the 2011 (i.e. would a 2010 reflector fit a 2011)?

Although I don't see front deflector's on the Weathertech site (can I say "Weathertech"?) other places sell "Weathertech" deflectors. An example for the 2011 Journey can be seen here Drilless Deflector. I put a deflector on my 2010 Ram and no drilling was required and it never came off even in an automated car wash. Some kind of nylon clamps were involved. I was doubtful but it held.

I still can't find a chrome deflector for the 2011. Are the 2010 hoods the same as the 2011 (i.e. would a 2010 reflector fit a 2011)?

The AVS smoked deflector I installed on my 2011 was actually under the part number for the 2010. They didn't have the 2011 listed yet but the hood contours are the same. It's not a non-drill deflector as it's fastened by double sided tape and two screws. I think it's just the front facia is all that's changed (well along with the rear) and not the hood.

• 1 month later...

Do the AVS and Weathertech hood deflectors have the little plastic nubs that the Mopar deflector has to hold it away from the hood? Or are the aftermarket deflectors positioned farther from the hood so they're not needed?

The AVS deflector came with them and I installed them just to be safe. I'm not sure if it would flex enough to contact them. It does fit very well following the hood contour (they are really more hood protector than delector for the windshield). I an say about the Dodge version.

• 3 months later...

I've just picked up the Mopar hood deflector. The instructions are poor, as they are pictures only. The top of the deflector has two predrilled holes in it. What are these for? So if I have read the posts properly, there only needs to be 4 hours drilled (15/64") on the underside of the hood. The directions also indicate a 1/8" drill bit too. I am learly of drilling holes in the hood.

Thanks.

May I asked how much is the factory hood deflector?.....( I am from Canada also)

I didn't see the factory deflector yet, but I am guessing the two holes may be for a rubber or nylon stopper to keep it from rubbing on the hood.

How much extra would the dealer charge to install, I don't think too much.

Apple Auto Glass and the other shops that sell these include the installlation with there purchase....Caper......

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the correction and sorry for the mistype. Here's a link to a photo of the AVS hood shield on my Journey.

Journey AVS deflector

That looks really nice coolram62. I like the "wrap around" look. I am wanting one for my new 2012 SXT - gonna go have a look at the AVS and see if they have one for the 2012's yet.

Cheers

UPDATE: No listings for 2012??? AVS & Weather Tech??? Gonna have to make some phone calls.

Edited by Rubberdude88