Front Air Deflector (do it yourself)

Hey there,

So it's been a while since you drilled holes into the hood of your truck. Have you had any rust build up forming around the drill holes? Did you rust proof the holes? Let me know how that worked for you since I am considering getting a bug deflector. Also, do you have any links on removable bug deflectors?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I9JKJ4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Very simple install. There is a slight notch in the middle (deflector) you can use to align with the hood locking hook to get a perfect alignment. For those that require drilling, use auto 3M tape to hold the deflector in position while you drill pilot holes. the tape along with your screws will ensure a nice tight hold for years.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a complete set of floor mats (all 3 rows), cargo area, window visors (fronts and rears) and the bug shield; all from WeatherTech on my 2013 R/T. Floors, windows and hood all lined up perfectly and fit like a glove. The hood shield came with screws, but, the instructions didn't list the Journey as needing them, so, I mounted using the tape only. As of now, very tight fit and I don't have any qualms about it coming loose. Since it is the wrap around style (covers the front edges of the fenders) I used the 4 soft snubbers on the wrapped portion (two on each) since those aren't wrapped under (as the hood portion is) and could "flap in the breeze". The bumpers should protect the paint if they do any moving around at highway speeds. The rest of the bug shield is stiff enough and stands off far enough from the hood that, short of a collision, contact with the paint shouldn't be an issue.

I got the window visors in the light gray; a perfect match to the Storm Gray color of my R/T...only wish I had the option of the light gray for the bug shield... Wheel spats (mud flaps) are on their way, so, the only thing left is the decision on whether to get the sunroof deflector or not; haven't made up mind on that one yet.

Edited by webslave

the only thing left is the decision on whether to get the sunroof deflector or not; haven't made up mind on that one yet.

I installed the sunroof air deflector and IMO it was worth it. My car is very quiet, I have no interior air turbulence. Obviously this is only my opinion and yours may differ....... :-) When I installed my sunroof air delector I installed "chrome" door edging on the trailing edge of it similiar to what I have done on my valence.

Terry

I just installed a complete set of floor mats (all 3 rows), cargo area, window visors (fronts and rears) and the bug shield; all from WeatherTech on my 2013 R/T. Floors, windows and hood all lined up perfectly and fit like a glove. The hood shield came with screws, but, the instructions didn't list the Journey as needing them, so, I mounted using the tape only. As of now, very tight fit and I don't have any qualms about it coming loose. Since it is the wrap around style (covers the front edges of the fenders) I used the 4 soft snubbers on the wrapped portion (two on each) since those aren't wrapped under (as the hood portion is) and could "flap in the breeze". The bumpers should protect the paint if they do any moving around at highway speeds. The rest of the bug shield is stiff enough and stands off far enough from the hood that, short of a collision, contact with the paint shouldn't be an issue.

I got the window visors in the light gray; a perfect match to the Storm Gray color of my R/T...only wish I had the option of the light gray for the bug shield... Wheel spats (mud flaps) are on their way, so, the only thing left is the decision on whether to get the sunroof deflector or not; haven't made up mind on that one yet.

Did you get the WeatherTech bug shield from a previous year? I went on the WeatherTech website and it said it wasn't available for 2013. They also said the same thing for the mud flaps. I already have WeatherTech floor mats so I'd like to stay with them.

I installed the sunroof air deflector and IMO it was worth it. My car is very quiet, I have no interior air turbulence. Obviously this is only my opinion and yours may differ....... :-) When I installed my sunroof air delector I installed "chrome" door edging on the trailing edge of it similiar to what I have done on my valence.

Terry

Thanks...that "pushed me over the edge" :yup: I'll wait until it warms up a bit first, a little cold for using the sunroof right now anyway. Now if the mud flaps would just get here!

Did you get the WeatherTech bug shield from a previous year? I went on the WeatherTech website and it said it wasn't available for 2013. They also said the same thing for the mud flaps. I already have WeatherTech floor mats so I'd like to stay with them.

I ordered all the parts for the '12...I just looked, and for instance, the floor mats are now showing applications for the '13 model year, when I ordered mine, they only went to '12. Evidently, they are "updating" their listings now. To my knowledge, mechanically, there isn't any change from the '12s to '13s; just rearranging of option packages and "standards" on the individual models; at least as far as the sheet metal and physical measurements are concerned. I ordered the mud flaps from an eBay Dodge storefront and they are for a '12, but, the "print" on the site also indicated a '13 fit. I started to order the WeatherTech flaps, but, I wanted the "DODGE" on them, so I went with the Mopar version. Windancer has convinced me on the sunroof deflector, but, the WeatherTech site doesn't list them (at least not that I've found, but, I haven't poked around enough on their site yet...) and it would be nice if I could get one from them if it was offered in the light tint like the window deflectors; the light tint is a near perfect match for the Storm Gray of my R/T.

Windancer has convinced me on the sunroof deflector, but, the WeatherTech site doesn't list them (at least not that I've found, but, I haven't poked around enough on their site yet...) and it would be nice if I could get one from them if it was offered in the light tint like the window deflectors; the light tint is a near perfect match for the Storm Gray of my R/T.

My sunroof air defelector is the OEM Mopar one, so it may be slightly different than the Weather Tech ones. I must admit you don't need an air deflector on your sunroof this time of year. I am not sure if they are available in anything else but a "smoked" colour.

Terry

post-2388-0-16538300-1357747844_thumb.jp

post-2388-0-43273100-1357747863_thumb.jp

Edited by Windancer

I just checked the WeatherTech site...no listing for a Journey fitment of their sunroof deflector and I filled out a "request for manufacture" form. I guess I'll go with the Mopar version if I don't here anything from WeatherTech by this spring. I don't imagine there is a great difference in any of them, but, I would love to get one in the lighter tint (like the window visors I got from them) as it almost disappears on the Storm Gray paint scheme.

Edited by webslave

My sunroof air deflector is the OEM Mopar one, so it may be slightly different than the Weather Tech ones. I must admit you don't need an air deflector on your sunroof this time of year. I am not sure if they are available in anything else but a "smoked" colour.

Terry

A question on the sunroof deflector... I was walking back from the mailbox and glanced at the sunroof on the DJ; it struck me how much it sloped down towards the front of the car. For those of you with sunroof deflectors - do you have trouble with water damming or being backed up inside the sunroof deflector or are there drain holes around the front edge to let it drain out? It would appear that with the slope, that a rather substantial amount of water could pool there and with our area, during the winter, freezing and then thawing and freezing again could push the deflector off the vehicle or force leakage past the sunroof's seals. Any thoughts or real world experience? Do they have "drain" provisions?