Winter Tires Size

deulyd

Does anybody know there's a way to drop down the tire size of the R/T (225/55R19) for winter rims and tires to something like 16" or 17"?

P225/65R17 on 17x6.5" rims - That is the stock 17" size available from dodge on the SE model. Should fit any Journey though. I have heard that 16's are pushing it for clearance between the calipers and rims.

Edited by _3335

The base tire on the Canada Value Package is 225/70R16. As long as you get the proper OEM steel wheels, clearance will not be an issue and this will be the least expensive option for winter tires and is what I did for my 2011 Crew with 19" tires.

I will keep this in mind for next winter :)

• 2 months later...

The base tire on the Canada Value Package is 225/70R16. As long as you get the proper OEM steel wheels, clearance will not be an issue and this will be the least expensive option for winter tires and is what I did for my 2011 Crew with 19" tires.

I actually need to get winter tires (not yet thank god!)

Did the dealer say that 16s are ok? I figured 17 was the lowest I could go (2011 crew model)

Did the dealer say that 16s are ok? I figured 17 was the lowest I could go (2011 crew model)

The base Journey CVP model comes with this size tire on steel rims and given that I have used these winter tires already, I can assure you that this size is correct. Just make sure you get OEM rims to get the proper fit around the brake calipers.

• 2 months later...

The base Journey CVP model comes with this size tire on steel rims and given that I have used these winter tires already, I can assure you that this size is correct. Just make sure you get OEM rims to get the proper fit around the brake calipers.

Decided to check with local Chrysler dealer and these are the quotes . . .surprisingly the 16" is more expensive

16" steel wheels 146.77 arctic claw tires 235/70/16 137.80 installed 2003.31

17" 96.34 arctic claw tires 225/65/17 163.41 1255.43

dealer will store summer tires for 'free'

• 4 weeks later...

If you are guys are in the Toronto area, I recommend Simply Tire I went there yesterday and got a complete package for 755 tax incl.

They have other packages also but Allen recommended that I go with the first Journey package they have, he did not try to sell the more expensive packages they have, for this reason I highly recommend these guys

Of course this is with out the sensors

Edited by PrimeTime

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

2012 Journey Crew i was looking for rims ,finaly i went to canadian tire and i put OEM RIMS R17 tire size 225/65/17 No scrabbing . They fit good.

Edited by rekintoronto

2012 Journey Crew i was looking for rims ,finaly i went to canadian tire and i put OEM RIMS R17 tire size 225/65/17 No scrabbing ,they fit good

Edited by rekintoronto

Does anybody know there's a way to drop down the tire size of the R/T (225/55R19) for winter rims and tires to something like 16" or 17"?

2012 Journey Crew i was looking for rims ,finaly i went to canadian tire and i put OEM STEEL RIMS R17 tire size 225/65/17 No scrabbing they fit good.

Edited by rekintoronto

• 11 months later...

larryl is 100% right. You do not want a low profile tire for winter. Plus the smaller tire saves you money when purchasing. Example. Bridgestone Blizzakl DMV1 225 55/R19 list price from Bridgestone website is $213.99 The same diameter overall DMV 1 225 65 R17 list price is $171.99 So save yourself 42 dollars per tire and put that money towards a 1 time purchase of steel wheels and save the nice wheels for non winter times.

I've tried looking and a lot of places in Toronto are out of the size 225/65/17 in the winter tires I prefer. Are 235/65/17 an okay replacement? Will it affect my 2012 R/T in anyway other than odometer reading slightly fast?

Yes, 235's will be fine. They will cause your speedometer to read slightly slower and your odometer will also climb slower by about 1.8%.

Other options are:

245/60/17. It has a 0.2% variation in circumference from your original size, so is the closest to your original size and will have a negligible effect on the speedo & odo.

Or a 215/70/17 which has a 1.2% variance, so a better option than the 235's as far as speedo variation and as stated, will cut through the snow better than the 235's

Edited by FROGBOX

i just bought a winter tire from walmart 225/65/17,, artic brand,, some walmart are sold out already,, it cheap and free installation if u buy there,, not like to canadian tire,, they will charge u for everything... try walmart website,, u can find if there still available in their store

Thanks for the advice guys. I had to make the quick decision that day so I went with the 235/65/17 on steels. They didn't carry 225/65/17 nor a size with 215's. They didn't charge me anything extra for the bigger sized tires as it was their mistake they assumed they had a pair left in the smaller tire. The tires I went with feel great though. The best price I could find around me. I will have to see how they handle in deep snow. Have an ice fishing trip coming up soon so I will give them a good test.

Thank again for all you knowledge, I am new to the dodge journey and am already loving it.

Edited by Joseph Alejandria