Winter Tires Size

deulyd

Completed my first winter with Pirelli winter tires and wheel package from TireRack. I went with 17" painted alloy wheels and 225/65/17. Was pleased with them as the OEM Kumho were very poor in ice and snow. I did call Tire Rack to confirm the clearance between the front brake rotors and the rims as it seemed pretty close, but I have had no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed from Michelin X Ice X13's back to the factory Kumho's on my '13 R/T. I went with 18" winter Super alloy rims, no TPM's. I am very pleased with the Michelins, especially through what was a brutally cold and snowy winter here.

I've tried looking and a lot of places in Toronto are out of the size 225/65/17 in the winter tires I prefer. Are 235/65/17 an okay replacement? Will it affect my 2012 R/T in anyway other than odometer reading slightly fast?

I think a narrower tire might be better in snow but there isn't much difference between 225 and 235.

terry

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I priced out Pirelli Scorpion Winter Blackwall 225/65R 17 with 17X6.5 Black Steelies, Sensors, tire totes, Free hardware, Free Mounting and balancing with tax, shipping and duties through www.tirerack.com for $1732.63USD minus $50 mail in rebate plus a bonus Winter kit with Pirelli splashed all over it. I also priced out Toyo Observe GSi-5 225/65R 17 with all the other options as well through www.1010tires.com for $1774CAD. So when it's all said and done the price difference wouldn't be much. So for me It will come down to quality which I think these two tires are very good quality. I found way more reviews on the Toyo's, only a couple on the Pirelli's. I haven't really found anything bad written about either tire. If anyone has an opinion on either one of these particular tires on a Journey R/T I'd love to hear it. TIA

• 1 month later...