New to the Journey, NOT to Dodge/Chry

5rebel9

Well we've only had the car on the road for a week, and 600 road miles but I must say I'M IMPRESSED with it ! 

I come from a long background (25 yrs.) of driving Dodge/Chrys. minivans, along with other vehicles. ALL of which I maintain on my own from a LONG background in automotive repair. YES there are some things I no longer have the equipment to be able to do certain tasks, but have good knowledge of how to do, so here goes with my comments.....

This Journey was found and purchased mainly due to price and that it has NO RUST, YES it's got high mileage at 189k miles. Paint is in typical MOPAR fashion of small paint chipping on the hood and some clear coat "whitening" on the front of the roof above the windshield ...We can "live" with that.  I'm "all in" cost wise for $4k, with new brakes/rotors ALL fluids and filters done, new plugs and coils and the "biggie" that it needed the trans solenoid pack replaced( a common issue with the 6 speed).

We live out in the country, so most roads are NOT "highway" smooth. Ride quality in this car is phenomenal! Absolutely QUIET ride with NO clunks/rattles. 

Interior...well not trashed by age, still looks very nice with some seat trim plastic cracks. Capacity for adult passengers, I would say maxes out to 4 people as the 3rd row is practically useless for adults to get to. But lots of room with seat down for shopping purchases or "outing" cargo. NOT as much interior room as my many minivans, but a totally different "class" of vehicle.

Drivetrain...Well we've got some learning to do on habits of AWD, as we've never had one before. This may be the concern of "shifting" feel when making turns at intersections.

Now comes the "disclaimer"...

Got this car as a replacement for my collage age son's NEON that he has been driving for 5 years. He's a drummer with a very large "kit" that he hauls around frequently. The Neon could fit most of needed pieces, but could not take even a RF passenger. This car will easily fit his needs AND help him with a good looking "all around" vehicle for when he takes his "independence" from home after finishing college. Of course he is "all in" in liking this Journey, as it's his Fav color and audio system suits him without needing any "upgrading"..and it beats being seen driving a mini van!

I'm sure this Journey will be a "keeper" in the family "stable" for a long time!  :)

• 1 month later...

11/08/20 UPDATE

Well the Journey is as set for winter as I can make it. Finally got the TPMS sensor in the one wheel "squared away" and slow bead leak fixed on another tire. I did a complete cooling system flush with new T-stat,as the friend that brokered the deal only did a drain and refill. Also did a separate heater core back flush. Now the car will "cook you out" rather than being comfortable(but with cool pass side heat).

Son is not driving much, as college classes are all "online" and friends are scattered out and fearful of COVID. He also complains that it drinks fuel compared to his former NEON. I told him he has to adjust driving "style" for a bigger, heavier,AWD vehicle! Don't get him wrong...he DOES LOVE the Journey. ;) Going to try the all seasons it came with for this winter, and if too nasty of weather hits...he just does NOT need to be out with the car. He loaded the journey for the first time with his COMPLETE drum kit, and all just barely fit with the front pass seat still free for a "copilot"! Something he could barely fit a basic "kit" with his Neon after much time figuring for the last 5 years! 

Stay "tuned" for future postings on the journey of this 2011 AWD Journey!  :)

as you mentioned before all this covid we use to travle quite a bit but also the wife is having some health problems (his getting old is a problem as well)  i knew the journeys didnt get real good mph in just the city but here recently seams like i am lucky to get 18-19. i know nothing is wrong as soon as i make a trip out on the interstate i am back up to the mpg i am used to.... LOL   so i know where you are coming from....

If his fuel numbers are crappy, check the rear parking brakes for dragging.

I find they need to be freed up as they gradually start to sieze. Return spring maybe undersized, wife who mainly drives it doesn’t use parking brake much which also has effect.

Lots of cycling and penetrating spray. I couldn’t even turn rotor by hand before I freed it up, accelerated padwear like you know.

Easy fix for another journey quirk in the salt belt.

3 hours ago, John/Horace said:

If his fuel numbers are crappy, check the rear parking brakes for dragging.

I find they need to be freed up as they gradually start to sieze. Return spring maybe undersized, wife who mainly drives it doesn’t use parking brake much which also has effect.

Lots of cycling and penetrating spray. I couldn’t even turn rotor by hand before I freed it up, accelerated padwear like you know.

Easy fix for another journey quirk in the salt belt.

That is all FINE, He just liked the 32+ mpg the Neon gave. I figured fuel to miles at 23mpg and we have a lot of big hills to go up and down. Just a bigger car/motor and AWD.....  :)

@5rebel9 - Appreciate the review and glad it's working out for you. Still enjoying my DJ after almost 5 years. As far as fuel, I came from a 13 MPG van to this, so I can't complain. I do get jealous when I see my daughter fill up her tank with $20 and get over 400 miles to empty, but she prefers riding in my car when were together... or if she gets a chance to drive my car. I ran into this car by accident when I desperately needed a car, and definitely don't regret it. 

I like these positive posts. 

17 hours ago, Armando G said:

@5rebel9 - Appreciate the review and glad it's working out for you. Still enjoying my DJ after almost 5 years. As far as fuel, I came from a 13 MPG van to this, so I can't complain. I do get jealous when I see my daughter fill up her tank with $20 and get over 400 miles to empty, but she prefers riding in my car when were together... or if she gets a chance to drive my car. I ran into this car by accident when I desperately needed a car, and definitely don't regret it. 

I like these positive posts. 

Yes, my son does love the new to him ride and the wife and I very much like it also. My only "thing" is that it can't do all that my old 04 LWB T&C can do.....Otherwise this one would be MINE. I still watch for that "can do" everything and fuel frugal vehicle. ;)

Being that my son has limited income due to full time college, we have him pay his own fuel expenditures and maint as best he can afford(and then we help out), so that is part of why he's not taking it out so often as he did with the Neon!  

• 2 weeks later...

Its always good to hear about a high miles vehicle finding a good home. So often they are bought for beaters and driven like throw-away towels. For many years while my kids were growing up, a Mopar minivan was a staple for our brood. It was truly the most versatile, utilitarian and easy on the wallet at the gas pump than so many other choices. We didn't do any towing so that was never a factor but we haul plenty of kids, band gear, crafts and home items than you could shake a stick at. Just one more reason I think I feel a kindred spirit when I drive a Journey. As far as the drivetrain, my 3.6 powered 200S is a hoot to drive and it still delivers great mpg despite my heavy foot. I'm sure the 3.6 AWD will be a bit less frugal but I'm prepared for that reality. Good luck with your DJ and long may she roll!

• 2 weeks later...

WELL, it has happened.

When we bought our DJ, we knew that the original seller had said that there was major trans problem with it which after putting 2k miles on it that it was just the solenoid pack. Well the DJ died out on the road with a totally failed trans this past Sunday afternoon, luckily only 15 miles from home. AAA towed it back to my friends shop, and initial diagnosis is to replace the trans. YES my son is "bummed out" about it, but I'm NOT. This car is well worth getting another trans, and still not be "underwater" on value. I'm Heading over there today to set up a "game plan" and projected cost to get it back on the road, will post up results this evening.....stay tuned!

I think Jasper have the best warranty for crate rebuild trannies. But if castings ok and your buddy is a tranny guy, torque converter,   pump and even fluid body mech electrical replacement probably cheaper.

Low mileage tranny still in wrecked vehicle is ok from auto recyclers, but only in those circumstances.

They have to supply vin to sell parts up here; reduces used crap parts being sold.

2 hours ago, Appalachian Journey said:

What’d you do with the neon?

Certain parts were used for his girlfriends Neon. The body of his was rotting out bad, but motor and trans are good.

It is currently at my friends awaiting parts calls or scrapping out come Spring.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it seems like it's been forever, but when one remembers of the Holidays and work schedules....

My guy had a 2012 model with 90K miles ON HAND, ALL IN  $1,100 parts/labor/sales tax.  

Flushed trans cooler and lines, new trans filter and oil.

The bad one without tearing down seems to be either the torque converter went OR the trans pump failed. Torque converter was heat discolored.

Picking the Journey on Sunday afternoon., he is doing road tests with it starting from Wed. thru then. He also has personal DJ's so DEFINITELY knows how the trannie should "act". So far he is totally satisfied with the new used trannie and very sorry that the situation came about for us. BUT I knew and understood the "gamble" of the known trans issues when he first acquired the vehicle, so yes he did work with me very well about it!

Will keep up a running update as when we get it and how things go in future postings....Stay Tuned!

Well it helps that we have a LONG professional work relationship(over 30 years), that I.ve helped him on a number of problem jobs also. I retired from the profession but he is running his own shop for the last 15 years. I also get my winter firewood from him and the steady business I do with him goes a LONG way. Remember..we are both way out in the country and not like in an urban area.

In fact he wants me to check out a '10 Buick Lucerne with lots of dash warning lights coming on yet seems to run just fine.

Car belongs to a distant relative who wants out of it but needs to get fixed to sell or sell as is (to a guy like me)....which is a STRONG possibility! Winter is not being so kind to my T&C and come Spring SHOULD be retired.

YEAH I KNOW... a BUICK being talked about on a DJ forum??????      ROFL  !

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to drive the journey yesterday! First time since getting the car back(son has been out multiple times)! What a difference in shift feel , Now I am envious that the DJ is not for myself! All is going well with it, even in the current very cold weather(10* f) we are getting lately.

NOT a "gripe", but just an observation.....

My son went out with the DJ Thurs. evening during a significant snow event. Journey ran fine. BUT when I looked out on it in the morning....the whole back end was snow packed from aerodynamics of the body. Much worse than my minivans and sedans would do. The only clear area would be from the rear wiper and only if snowpack resistance did not overpower the motor or by use of rear defroster. 

Any of you long time DJ drivers in snowbelt areas ever notice this or did this happening just be a "fluke" of this particular snow we had ?

Well depending on where my son(or when) decides to leave the "nest" for "warmer climes" or NOT. I'll look into that idea. They did have them for my 04 era  minivans...though rarely seen used. I have only seen ONE on an 03 T&C and the owner said it helped A LOT.    ;)

Well it is NOT a "fluke"....Had another goodly snow event and the back of the Journey is completely snow packed(including the tail lights)! This is my biggest concern, as rear defroster and wiper will clear the rear glass for visibility, but rear lights and license plate "irks" me due to our overzealous State police in cracking down on "proper clearing" of vehicles during the winter months. Last evening my son drove a total of 2 miles and when got home  I could not even see but a faint red glow of the tail lights. 

Looks like this Spring I will definitely be looking into some kind of rear "deflector" to try and reduce this happening!

Don't get me wrong in my "concern" about this.....The car is still well liked....just something to "work on" for a beneficial  MOD project!    ;)

• 2 weeks later...

2/13/21...

My son left for Long Island  at 7:00am to deliver a drum set with an adult family friend that had sold but could not transport in his car. They safely made the delivery point in 7 hrs. time, with a fuel/food stop in Newark, NJ. Son has made text updates, and they should be past Binghamton, NY on the way home by now. They should be home in about 2-3 hrs. IF Snows don't get too bad. 

With as much "parked" time the car has had after the trans replacement, he had been getting the dreaded P0420 a couple times with the shorter local runs he's made before this trip. We sent them off on a full tank of fuel treated with a can of Seafoam.  He has reported that car is driving fine and no CEL AND happy for fuel mileage on the cross state leg to make the delivery. He just didn't include just what it was in his texts. I'm sure will get that report tomorrow when he wakes up from his 14 hours of driving (I'm not sure if they shared driving duties or he did it all).

STAY TUNED for final info about this LONG road  test on the replacement trannie and about the P0420      ;)

Well now for the rest of the story (aka Paul Harvey).....

So trans preformed flawlessly thru the 500+ mile trip at an average of 24 mpg according to the EVIC. NO CEL and NO pending codes either (I checked it this am). 

Drum set was a full load  but it fit and had room for the passenger. My son did all the driving and said it was quite an experience going thru such large cities compared with at best his driving in Buffalo. NO snow was encountered but temps were pretty cold. Interior heat was FINE and they ended up turning down temp and fan speeds to not roast them and cause drowsiness. 

My son safely walked into the house at 11:30pm. 

Pretty sure he is a confirmed DJ driver/owner now. No complaints of MPG difference to his old Neon.

Well it's a high mileage '11 model (181k) and it had sat a lot before getting it and don't know just how the original Maryland owner drove or maintained it.  We will continue to "monitor" for the cat efficiency code and do another treatment to the fuel after another fill up or two. My bet is just worn O2 sensor(s), but costs for now will wait  on replacing them.

Sometimes winter fuel ethanol can make cars run a little worse. Techron cleaner in the tank and see if you can make code go away in a week or so.  There are so many other O2 codes for lean and rich and heating element etc. But efficiency I think is usually cat itself. Even if it comes back,  if it’s not affecting drive ability or fuel economy,  I would  let it slide. Unless state inspection dictates other wise.