New to the Journey, NOT to Dodge/Chry

5rebel9

Correction to the total miles of his road trip...they put on 650 miles on their trip Sat. Son forgot to reset trip odo settings before departing on the full fuel fill up.

I only said about O2 sensor replacement because I did note a small but distinct difference between bank 1 and bank2 LTFT and STFT readings also but not posted here. Could be some poor spraying injectors or weak sensors due to miles on the Journey. BUT this trip will help figure things out now that it's had a good long run  As I posted before, he has not been driving it much and just occasional short runs since getting the car during the COVID "crisis". And this is also part of the reason for the Seafoam dose for this trip that was made, as we had not done this prior.

Thank you for your thoughts all the same and will keep them in mind. Be assured that I'll keep all here posted about this Journey's journey!  ;)

• 3 months later...

6/7/21  UPDATE:

Well a lot has happened thru the last of winter and spring around here, so thought I'd update about the DJ(and my son).

shortly after the trans replacement we also replaced seeping trans cooler lines. NOT hard to do, but ran into a problem of one of the couplers in the cooler not latching properly. Another trip to my friend and pulled one from one of his parts cars. Then we had the radio module problem, VERY onerous to track down BUT easy fix.

Now, quick jump to son's doings.

He finished semester at college(on line due to Covid-19). Had a summer job lined up and ready to go as a lifeguard at 45 mile away theme park. BUT that changed when he got hired FULL time with 30 mile away railroad as a conductor/engineer trainee. This was his "dream job" after wanting to be a big time rock band drummer! He has been OTJ for 3 weeks now and other than the 12 hr shift requirement LOVES the job. GREAT PAY/BENEFITS.

Back to the DJ

As posted before that son not driving far or regularly and complaining about the MPG compared to his old Neon. With the driving doing now the mileage is improving noticeably AND the P0420 (cat efficiency code) has NOT reared itself since fixing the radio problem. 

FUNNY now that son has money, no more complaints of fuel cost/mileage, even with the rising gas prices. And has now been fully taken to the attributes of the DJ and agrees that the ride/space/looks are far above his old Neon!

Stay tuned for further updates to this Dodge Journey's journey!  :)

Congrats on the kid's new job. It's only a matter of time before he trades in the DJ for a more trendy or hip automobile.

It's funny you describe your son's opinion on gasoline cost. I was the same way. glad he likes the car now that gasoline price anxiety is out of the way.

21 minutes ago, NavalLacrosse said:

Congrats on the kid's new job. It's only a matter of time before he trades in the DJ for a more trendy or hip automobile.

It's funny you describe your son's opinion on gasoline cost. I was the same way. glad he likes the car now that gasoline price anxiety is out of the way.

Thanks from the both of us. And about trading in...HE keeps talking about a TESLA as a good high school friend owns one. The train crew he's assigned to are great and share my same feelings about cars with him, MAYBE HE will listen to THEM !  ;)

5 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

Lol hopefully he will listen to them/you. A dependable car is worth it's weight when you have a daily commute. 

He has NOT wanted to listen to me for a long time now, as 99% of the time he finds out that I was correct in my suggestions to him and that he thinks times have changed so that HE knows differently. His crew all drive 5+ yr. old smaller cars and have a nicer new car for "out on the town". BUT they are "established" and my son is just starting out. And as for the job, he is the youngest they have taken "aboard" so they treat him like their own. He actually still looks forward to each day and is getting himself around much better than when he had "summer jobs" or classes when mom and I had to make sure he got going each day!

5 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

Each generation thinks they knew better then the last. Both my boys do the same thing to me. All we can do is try to teach them to do/be better then us and hope they listen. Otherwise sounds like you have a good kid.

Thanks', YES he is !

Journey doing well with daily runs to work and home. SON is not faring as well on the return home leg, getting tired(12hr shifts)and forgot to stop and "tank up" the Journey and had to be at work again in the morning BEFORE any stations opened to get gas. Mom let him take her G6 and she took the Journey to work and got gas in it. For almost 5 years I've told him NOT to let it go below 1/4 tank, as ne never knows when something may crop up and gas stations were not open!  Another rolling eyes "yes dad" reply.

OH and mom said ...my the journey drives nice AND FAST without keeping an eye on the speedometer! Most of our normal driving is done watching hard for loose farm animals or wildlife!

13 hours ago, Locosiete said:

Lol! I have learned the hardway to always plan for getting gas. I have had to camp at the pump 3 different times in the same small town, different trips, due to Oregon law where you cannot pump your own gas.

When the police drive by and see someone sitting at the pump in the middle of the night they know exactly why lol.

Didn't help the nearest gas was 80 miles away. 

And I thought we had it bad as nearest gas station is 13 miles away!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to laugh about my son,. Now that gas is $3.00+/gal he complained last night about having to spend $52.00 to fill up the Journey on his way home.

I reminded him of when gas was near $4.00/gal with his Neon and he'd spend near $40.00 to fill it to get not quite 10 gallons!

And the majority of times WE gave him the cash for it!

HE DID NOT RESPOND!....LOL    ;)

You sir are still a youngster then!  I remember buying my fuel at less than .60/gal, and was upset when it went up to .75/gal!

And I drove air cooled VW's back then, the worst was my "bus" at 21mpg(when American rides were struggling to hit 16mpg)!

I will leave any reference to politics of fuel cost increases of late left UNSAID, but will say that for our area, that electric cars will NOT work well for me!  ;)

hell i remember pumping gas for 20 cents a gallon in Michigan when i had my first job ( 16 yrs old) of course back then gas stations had gas wars with each other and we pumped it and checked the air ,oil and water and cleaned the windshield and also there also was a free dinner plate or silverware to go with each purchase

21 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

hell i remember pumping gas for 20 cents a gallon in Michigan when i had my first job ( 16 yrs old) of course back then gas stations had gas wars with each other and we pumped it and checked the air ,oil and water and cleaned the windshield and also there also was a free dinner plate or silverware to go with each purchase

YES I also remember those days, BUT I was NOT of driving age yet and just a passenger ! And what about OPTIONAL installed seatbelts or even just what was an infant car seat back then ???....ROFL  :)

Edited by 5rebel9

1 hour ago, Locosiete said:

Youngster... I'm 42 lol. Not claiming to be the oldest here but wouldn't describe myself as young lol

Sure if i think hard gas prices were lower then. 99 but when i started driving i remember them being in that range. 

"young" devolves around WHO is doing the comparison..... I've got you by 2 DECADES!     LOL  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news in the journey of my son's (???) Journey ....

He is now wanting to TRADE cars with my wife for her G6gt sedan! Now that he has a good paying full time job I made mention of the fact that he owed us a fair chunk of change for purchase of the DJ, along with the cost of insurance for it on our policy. And the "icing on the cake" was when I said that in Sept. he should go onto his own policy, as he has all requirements to driving exper. for at least a decent rate. I told him ins. would kill him with the G6  ... WELL mom stepped in as we almost had WWIII go off. These were all things discussed when we bought the Journey and he agreed to, now claims "not so"!

Evidently with the new job, he found out he won't have much time to haul his drum kit around and play in a band now. So he doesn't want a "soccer mom" vehicle(HIS words) now. Still waiting for everyone to calm down and hash this out PEACEFULLY.

Edited by 5rebel9

dont know your sons age but from what i experienced with insurance until they are around 24-25 a young male is really high, girls get a better rate sooner as well,,,LOL isn't it funny how agreements seem to change when they are NOT written down.....

15 minutes ago, Locosiete said:

I sell insurance for a living and can say from experience the age doesn't effect the rate as much as experience. A 30 year old man that has only had their license for 1 year will cost more typically then a 25 year old man with 8 years experience. 

As far as your son it's NOT A SOCCER VAN!! There is no sliding door lol. As far as a cool car that is up to him and how he makes it his own. There are 2 types those that buy something already modified or leave factory and those that customize to be what they want. 

But cool is subjective to opinion. My DJ has way more modifications then any other vehicle I own but turns less heads. When people do ask me about it they really dig it cause they've never seen one like mine.

Well he is over 22 and 5 years full licensing in Sept. And I had to buy my own insurance at 17,   and had to pay $1.2k for NY liability for that year for a $800. VW van.  ;)  

Maybe you could PM me about more into of insurances.

6 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

So he doesn't want a "soccer mom" vehicle(HIS words) now.

@5rebel9... answer is "NO", to your son.

Some background... father of 4 grown adult kids, 3 drivers, numerous cars passed on to my kids and now about half a dozen cars bought by the kids (a couple financed by your truly). Every conversation we have had about cars has started with, "this is a luxury and my only care is that it's dependable and safe". Other than some help with the down payment, they pay their car payment, gas, and insurance (discounted through our policy). Thankfully they have listened to my advise (on the cars at least), but I hold strong when it comes to any part of the cost depending on me - as being their normal mechanic either doing the work or paying for some of it sometimes. 

I feel what your going through and am here to support you. 

Thanks all, Had to take a break on further replies of the subject... my blood pressure...

As I've stated before, we try and get him something HE says he likes(the Neon, DJ), but he is just like me at that age.  He has had decent summer jobs that we had him pay certain expenses as he was able without "breaking" his bank, and then covering the rest. This was done to have him be a bit more :"responsible" with his driving and activities. He is NOT a "car guy" as HIS words are DAD you're the car guy, you fix it. YES I can't blame him for WANTING the sporty "latest and greatest", but he now needs to learn to be "on his own" and have what he can afford and be most useful to activities, as he also talks about "moving out on his own" and such. 

Our daughter picked up on this same treatment very well and she has thanked us many times for the way we did things with her, and now married is doing very well and "teaching" her husband same principles . But our son feels he is "entitled" to has us "provide" his "wants". At least I think I've got  "mom" on my viewpoint now about vehicles and will have to wait till the weekend to hash this out among the 3 of us, so we are all together and the time will lets us all refine our thoughts.

I do apologize  for the "rant" I've posted and again thank you for the feedback and support. 

As a famous leader once said ... These are times that try men's souls.

one thing my parents did for my brother and me was when we got our first Good paying job ,we had to start paying rent for our room and board and all the things our parents did for us, of course this was over 40 some yrs ago, but my brother had to pay around  $10 a week,and me being about 4 yrs younger i had to pay  $25 a week   (Inflation i guess   LOL)  anyways mom took what we paid every week  and put it in a savings account and when we got married yrs later she gave us that money, My brother never complained about his when he got it but when mom gave me mine and he found out it was about 3 times as much as he got he started complaining and mom just looked at him and said WELL, he paid us more every week and also we didnt have to chase him for it it was always placed on the kitchen table every fri after he cashed his check unlike how we had to get it from you....   also if we ever asked for a loan of money in a big amount from our parents we always would sit  down and write out an agreement on the amount, and length, of the loan before it would get repaid to them, it just taught us that nothing was free in life and to take care of your self no matter who you were dealing with. people look at me like it was crazy that our parents did this to us but i look right back at them and said i was raised right and learned the correct way of taking care of business during my lifetime and i also passed this down to both of my kids as well

On 11/10/2020 at 8:20 PM, Locosiete said:

I have found if you have the V6 with 3.6L the biggest issue with MPG is keeping your foot out of it. Noone ever thinks they are quick until you pass them with ease. Not claiming fastest thing on road but for a bone stock family vehicle she moves just great!

Driving a steady 45-55 mph on back roads I see just under 29 mpg if I don't get into the gas...and a steady 23.5 mpg if I just accelerate briskly a few times.  What a difference, lol.

Well, the drama continues.

Son came home from work last night with news that he MAY be transferred long term to Meadville, Pa (150 miles away), being "low man". He now understands that he will need the DJ due to possible having to plate the car in Pa. Body of the G6 will not pass Pa. inspection due to rocker panel rust.

More info will be coming as this drama continues....He may have to "grow up" sooner than he expected

Well let's bring this latest sub topic to a close. My son is NOT being transferred, another new hire JUMPED at the posting as he is from Pittsburg and WANTED to be based there.

As for vehicle responsibilities ... Let's just say that things are in a "holding pattern" right now.    ;)

i have a young grandson who is half way thur his apprenticeship for maintenance with Toyota,who is still living at home and has been saving up and says he wants to get a fast sports car whenever he graduates and can afford one,,,i just laughed and said you do realize that for what you will be paying for insurance on the sports car compared to your old truck would pay for the sports car in just a few yrs of insurance payments...LOL but you just cant make them believe you,i guess like we didnt listen to out parents...good luck and tell your son the same