Starting issue

DonnyJerry

Just had the thermostat housing changed and a battery installed! That was yesterday but today when I started it up it immediately shut off again followed by a successful restart! Started and stopped it several times with no problems until I let it sit again and the process repeated itself! Any ideas?

• Official Dodge Support
On 1/17/2020 at 6:36 PM, DonnyJerry said:

Just had the thermostat housing changed and a battery installed! That was yesterday but today when I started it up it immediately shut off again followed by a successful restart! Started and stopped it several times with no problems until I let it sit again and the process repeated itself! Any ideas?

Hi Donny, I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Journey. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.

Rob

DodgeCares

• 1 month later...

New  battery should be nice clean terminals. Maybe connectors or clamps if not starting under load, but car was shutting off after starting?

Is it a push button start model, was their a security symbol flashing when it shut down. Does vehicle have remote start option and is it functioning still.

Lots of missing info.

• Official Dodge Support
14 hours ago, DonnyJerry said:

Hi Rob thanks for your reply! Apparently it was an issue relating to the battery  It apparently had to be "reset" or acclimatized to the vehicle! Starts and runs fine now!?

Hi DonnyJerry, We're happy to hear that your concern has been resolved.  Should this or any other concerns return in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out!
Rob
DodgeCares

On 09/03/2020 at 1:51 AM, Armando G said:

Acclimatized = connection cleaned and tightened

Is that what that means? 

Not at all! Some vehicles have to relearn certain parameters required to run properly! It was starting to run better with time but decided to have it reflashed at the dealer! Given the dumb location of the battery everything short of the hold down and tray itself had to be replaced! 

9 hours ago, DonnyJerry said:

Not at all! Some vehicles have to relearn certain parameters required to run properly! It was starting to run better with time but decided to have it reflashed at the dealer! Given the dumb location of the battery everything short of the hold down and tray itself had to be replaced! 

so you had to replace your battery cables as well,if so your mech probally hosed you, have changed my battery in my 2011 and my 2014 once each, and never had a problem with each vech.

He shows Atlantic provinces of Canusckistan. If right close to the ocean driving location  and salt used on roads, everything could be corroded around battery.

My cables and daughters 2012 were showing signs during battery change. I soaked everything with rust check spray after installing  battery and cleaning up connections. Wheel well plastic needs to seal better IMO.

Northern rust belt states/provinces not a great place to be a mechanic. Sometimes can’t wait for complete failure, need to replace stuff showing advanced wear, my 2 cents. Towing not cheap either.

13 hours ago, DonnyJerry said:

I'm sorry Donny, but reflashing doesn't teach it how to start after a battery change. I do hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does you may have to check the connections again... mostly the ground wire. 

I saw the battery compartment before the battery was replaced and it looked like the car had sat in salt water since it was new! I live in Newfoundland btw! so my mechanic didn't "hose" me!  The only people hosed were the people who bought more than one of them! I like Dodge products but they're lacking in quality! I guess you don't have to be a DJ lover to be on this site just an owner!

guess you didnt like my comment about being hosed, but if your mech  had cleaned the cable ends as he should have and installed a clean new battery, nothing else should have mattered on how it looked. i grew up in mi so i know about salt and rust, but clean connections are all that matters and just as you should know dodge inst the only ones that have put batteries in hard to reach areas, guess you can put it up for sale if you dont like it as well, and i do agree some Journeys are not perfect and have problems sorry you are having problems but glad you got it fixed and back up running

Actually having two in family not a liability; especially if you are capable of trouble shooting and turning a wrench or have a mechanic you can trust. Cheap purchase price and fairly cheap parts make DJ a decent car buy imo. 

Battery cables are multi strand wires so a nick in the plastic can allow corrosion to work it’s way around. Could you just remove the ends buy new ones and silver solder them on; yeah sure. But the time involved and fairly cheap part price and nasty location makes hard to argue about replacing parts. Especially people in rural areas with no mechanic around the corner.

Mecahnics use to rebuild starters and alternators etc, now they are parts changers with labor rates being so high.

Waiting for complete failure on battery for example can be a real pain if you aren’t prepared for it.

Ive spent a warm week in Newfoundland in July, beatuful rugged place,  but not a place to get stuck in a 50cm plus snow dump.

Edited by John/Horace

There are battery senors that are tied to ecm, it’s possible the bad connections or battery failure triggered some weird stuff.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2014,journey,3.6l+v6,3300354,electrical,battery+temperature+sensor,10478

There is also an electronic  battery curent sensor that links to a  battery management system. Not all journeys have this option.

My 2009 ford pick up has one of these type of systems, shuts down power if you leave stuff on. If  battery Is replaced there is a relearn procedure that occurs. Lots of complaints about this system acting up causing problems on F150’s.

Edited by John/Horace