Too much torque?

martyman.geo

Hi all again!  This post is about my 2015 DJ and a change of trans shifting that started occurring about 5 months ago. 

One note that probably has no bearing on the post or not...lol! is the updating of the remote start.  

I noticed that the car seemed to have more torque by the amount of front wheel spin occurring from standing start.  It almost seems like a rev limiter has been removed.  I know this isn’t the case but I have been driving my DJ for almost four years and the change is quite noticeable. 

Another noticeable item is getting on the freeway accelerating to speed, the revs now go a lot higher than before shifting if I stay on it. I had this same type of experience with a shift kit installed in a th400 trans in a Camaro I used to own.

Is this normal for an Awd? 

3.6 or 2.4?  By revs, I'm assuming that you mean RPMs.  What is a lot higher?  The limit is the redline at 6500ish RPMs for the 3.6.  It's not uncommon for the computer to allow RPMs to go to redline on my 2011 when I'm getting after it.  If it's going into the redline, that's  a problem.  I believe the AWD is actually FWD until a loss of traction is detected.   For all intents and purposes, its going to be FWD most of the time.  When you say torque,  are you referring to torque steer?  Camaros are RWD and torque steer is not a thing with those.  Torque steer is a characteristic of FWD vehicles at WOT.

Try the battery disconnect as jkeaton suggests.  If that doesn't help then take it in for a diagnosis.   These transmissions don't hold up to intense use.  If there is an RPM issue, you need to get it corrected.  My transmission failed at about 80K miles.  Had it replaced under lifetime warranty.   Good Luck. 

Peace. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your responses. It is a 3.6 with AWD.  I wish I still drove like I used to do.  I am that guy that stays at the speed limit on the freeways and streets. Very boring most of the time. 

Yes, torque steer is what I meant.  My old camaro had higher shift points not torque steer. Sorry about the confusion. 

If I get on it (LOL in my dj ) it pulls or steers to the left.  

As far as the rpm’s: going on the freeway it holds more of the gears to higher RPM’s more than it did a few months ago.  No change on my driving style but noticeable when it runs up to 4500-5000 RPm’s.

I am used to a lot lower shift points from when I first started driving it. It has almost 60000 miles now and I will be setting up an appointment at the dealership to do the major maintenance ($600.00) which includes changing the dif oil but not the trans fluid. 

After reading this post last week, I spoke to the dealers to ask the same question, they mentioned I should bring it in so they can reset the computer for $150.00. ( that seems like there favorite price for everything ) 

if i can do it myself for free, than I think I could try it out. I will let you all know how it goes.

Edited by martyman.geo
Spelling

• 3 months later...

Had the 60000-mile service done and the DJ seems to be purring like a kitten!  I just have one regret, I had replaced the cabin and engine air filters a month before the service.  Without reading the fine print, the dealership replaced them for a total cost of $90.00.  I should have had an alignment done vice the filters changed :(

3 hours ago, martyman.geo said:

Had the 60000-mile service done and the DJ seems to be purring like a kitten!  I just have one regret, I had replaced the cabin and engine air filters a month before the service.  Without reading the fine print, the dealership replaced them for a total cost of $90.00.  I should have had an alignment done vice the filters changed :(

Good to hear that things are working so far. Thanks for the update.

Hard lesson learned though...know thoroughly what you are being charged for before signing off on the work. We have all done that before somewhere in life.

yep they told me one time your cabin air filter is real dirty do you want us to change it i said okay this was on my 2011 and when they charged me $22. for it i said wtf,well that didnt happen any more i went and bought a k-n cabin air filter and when i bought my 2014 i pulled it out of the 2011 and transferred it to my 14 the same thing i did with my engine K-N air filter as well