Differential vent

mruysch

Well then I'm sure it's possible. But have to ask, why are you sure it's "pressurizing up"? How are you determining this is the root cause and not something else causing your pinion seal to blow out? I'm asking because I've never heard of a differential vent getting clogged, on any vehicle, ever. 

Edited by jkeaton

Your viscous unit is F****d up.  You can put all the vents and seals in that you want, but until you replace the viscous unit (which is probably your main problem), it will always make noise when turning.  Don't band aid it with vents etc.  Fix the problem.

mechanical-idiot

Or, just don't take any advice at all and let it be.  Then buy one of these emblems from Ebay and put it right below the Journey emblem on the back of the vehicle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REDNECK-EDITION-PAIR-CAR-EMBLEMS-Chrome-Metal-Badges-suit-CHEVY-SILVERADO-NEW/400885638670?hash=item5d56a5660e:g:MAUAAOSwAYtWM9Wc

LOL!  I am being facetious!

Take 2late4u's advice and get it looked at.  The dealer obviously couldn't find the problem.  It does not mean that a problem does not exist.  I will guarantee you that you do have a problem and it is probably the viscous unit.

Good luck with it and please keep us posted.

mechanical-idiot

I know it needs a viscous coupler because it is full of gear oil.  But I want to know why my rear diff is pressuring up causing the viscous coupler to fill up with oil. That is why I was asking about the vent. Until That problem is solved I don’t want to put a viscous coupler in. Because last spring when the problem started I put a new seal in and brake cleaned the inside of the viscous coupler (I know you are not supposed to do that) but I tried it since I knew i needed a new one any way and it worked until this summer when I noticed oil leaking again. 

• 1 year later...

Yes the vents can easily plug with undercoat and dirt etc .  If in areas of road salt during winter the cap on the vent rusts and plugs. The resulting pressure forces the diff fluid past the seals creating leaks. Have 40 years in the trade and a common problem but overlooked as a root cause of leaks.   My 2013 journey with 108,000 km is leaking,  plus started the left hand turn grinding and often a wheel drag as well, either left front or rear starting from a stop with wheels slightly turned to the left.  A new Viscous coulper is $2500 plus tax in Canada.  So purchased a used unit with 6 month warranty,  will replace the diff vent ( very difficult to get at , a push in fit ) drain and fill the diff and this rig will be traded.   Plus no heat on passenger side due to the interior heat door not working in the heater housing. Another habit of journeys, this one has the shaft broken on the inside of the heater box.  Estimate from dealer to repair is $2200.00 .    

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Can’t be done. Haven’t heard of any diy person being able to do it. If you call transmission shops I’m sure they will even say they don’t do it.  On this site there are threads about swapping it out with rear diff left in place.  People usually buy a whole rear diff from auto recycler and only use coupler. New coupler by itself more than double used diff.

Thanks for follow up. Curious how many kms on the original viscous coupler now ?  Had to change both side lip seals on our 2014 rear diff. They literally rotted out from road  salt and started leaking.  Time consuming crappy diy job. Never went low enough to cause any damage. At 244k kms or 151k miles now.

Now that I have learned of vent issues, plan on getting to it and cleaning it out. There has been a handful of people on site that had similar oil leaks with coupler.  Have owned multiple jeeps and trucks with awd, haven’t experienced this problem yet. But the Journey sees lots of mud and salt…and I’m never lucky.