Boosted battery now engine light stays on

2017 Crossroads 14,000 miles

I had repairmen in this morning fixing our furnace. So because they were in & out with their van I parked on the side of our street with the 4 way flashers on.

I forgot I had left then and went to start it but needed a boost. Started no problem and left in running as well as drove it for an hour & a half. 

Problem is the engine light remains on. I stopped by the dealers and asked if there's a way to reset the light, wasn't able to talk with a mechanic but the guy at service says it's $75 

to put the scanner on to see what codes come up. No way I'm paying 75 for a quick scan of codes unless really required.

Anyone know if there's a way to reset the engine light? After an oil change I know how to reset the light that comes on by pressing the gas peddle down 3 times before starting.

28 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well you should be covered by the manufactures warranty just take it in no problem.

What he said.

I had to have roadside assistance jump start mine two days in a row. At 25,000 miles the battery was defective. Dealer diagnosed it and replaced the battery under warranty. 

At 14,000, you should not be paying for an engine light.

Wait...  So you were at the dealer with a check engine light on, and you didn't have them check it?  Just because some ding ding at the counter said it would cost $75?  Am I missing something here?  Is the DJ under warranty?  I can't figure how it wouldn't be.  If so, the dealer has a responsibility to diagnose that check engine light.  It may be something that will leave you stranded and endanger you and the family.   They do need your consent to diagnose the light.  Give them your consent, get a loaner,  and make FCA deal with your engine light.   It's pretty simple.  I shall stand corrected if the situation is not this simple.  

Peace.

I took the Journey into another dealer, they kept it over the past weekend. Warranty covered everything including a 19 300s.

For some reason the battery while low caused the engine light to stay on & when the mechanic looked over the codes he found 30 of them.

They had not seen that before but after checking/testing everything & finding all working as normal that was that. Drove it around today, likely put 50 miles on it & no engine light.

I did buy a code scanner which I plan on keeping in the glovebox, just in case.

• 1 year later...