Front end clunk, while braking

I’ve just titled my deceased son’s 2009 journey SXT.  I’ve had to fix a couple of things, but this front end clunk will not go away. 

It’s spring time one year later. PLEASE WATCH FOR MOTOR CYCLES.

To the topic. The strut assemblies, tie rods, and now the driver side lower control arm has been replaced. It looks like my son had replaced the torsion bar bushings too, since they are bright blue.

i’ve read all the forums, including this one, and internet advice and it seems like this problem has no solution.

Before I sink more money into this problem, I thought that I would try one more time to see if anyone has found the solution.  Or should I just give up a

live with it?

Thx

Per your thread title, the noise only happens during braking and/or stopping? If it was suspension related, I would think it would also happen over bumps.

Could it be a mount, such as motor or transmission? Either would shift position during braking. They should also shift during start but not necessarily. I am thinking something loose, even under the hood, that rocks forward on deceleration.

Could be something tight but just out of position to the point that it catches and releases under deceleration.

A slightly loose brake caliper,  or one the is not seated square, would do it too. Never heard of that, but I suppose it could happen.

For what it's worth, even though there have been many complaints, i do not have a problem with mine. It is very quiet except a barely perceptable rattle in the braking system itself,  which does not concern me. To wit, it is not an inherent feature of all Journeys.

Good luck and my condolences.

The title is my post is a little deceiving, as the clunk happens when going over bumps, even while braking.  I wrote the title this way to address some of the other posts that say the clunk goes away while braking. I.e. root cause is loose caliper.

My journey clunks whenever I go over bumps, which is a lot, since I live in northern Oakland County, Michigan.  I have to drive two miles on dirt roads to get to my house.  The noise is ridiculous with all of the washboard roads we have this spring. Can you imagine!?

i was wondering about other body mounts and rubber bushings too. Just haven’t been able to pinpoint anything that looks like the cause. 

The search continues...

Thank you all for your condolences. 

A mechanic friend of mine road in the car yesterday. He quickly heard the noise and diagnosed it as the upper-strut-mount. I’m not convinced, but did order a set of Monroe strut-spring assemblies. I’m hoping that the cheap brand we put on last year are the culprit.  I’ll post the results once I install them. 

Ok, I just finished replacing the lower control arms, stabilizer bar bushings, stabilizer bar like and quick strut assembly (strut and spring assembly with new strut mount).  I put the car in gear and the car wouldn’t move. Looks like the drive shaft disconnected. How do I fix this?

none of what you did would affect the the movement of the car, other than that your guess is a good as we can guess, unless you took the cv joints loose or out of the trans on both sides at the same time if both sides are removed from the transmission at the same time you have serious problem then.good luck

The clunk is gone!  Even though nearly every part in the front suspension is replaced, I’m fairly confident they the problem was the strut mount.  Jkeatin was right. 

Had to replace the RH CV axle to get the car moving again.  I think the axle was bad before I started this project. 

In summary, thus is what is did in the car. 

Replaced the rear RH upper control link, which was throwing the camber off.  The rubber bushing was shot.

replaced both front quick strut assemblies, which included new strut mount. 

Replaced RH and LH front lower control arms.

Replaced the RH and LH stabilizer bar links. This was the most difficult part.  I ended up having to cut them off with a right angle Grainger. 

Replaced the stabilizer bar bushings. I had to weld the brackets back in place since all of the bolts broke.  Since the car has 140000 miles I doubt they will need replaced again. 

Sanded and sand blasted the wheels and repainted silver.  My son had painted them with black plastipaint.  Once I removed that, it was clear why he painted them.  Nasty and corroded. 

Fixed two rusty spots on the rear and front fender. 

Replaced two rear doors that were rusty.

Now I have a car I can enjoy driving and it brought back a lot of good memories of teaching my son to mechanic and the fun we had working on cars together. 

Thanks all.  Hope this helps someone in the future. 

B4088107-505F-4493-B09E-94917EF93637.jpeg

Holy shit Johnny,  it sounds like you actually built an entirely new car!  I wouldn't dare tackle that stuff myself, so good for you!  I am very glad that everything worked out for you.  That is a very nice looking Journey - and I love the color.

I hope it gives you miles and miles of trouble free service.

You deserve it for your patience and perseverance.

mechanical-idiot

• 2 months later...

Update on my journey clunk and noise issue.  Strut mounts definitely made improvement but I still have other noises. I jus replaced all 4 motor mounts. The front and rear were bad, some noise was reduced, but the rattles are still there.  It’s a metallic rattled when going over very small bumps.  Sounds like something in the wheel. Stumped again.