Towing

Blue

I have a 2016 dodge journey r/t, v6 I want to tow a Kawasaki mule, trailer weighs 600lbs, mule weights  approximately 1500lbs says I can tow 2500 can I tow this mule about 60 miles safely?

Edited by Blue

Cool, one more thing, I had a Ford explorer and when I towed with it I had to turn o/d off, I dont have this option with the DJ, anything I need to know before I start towing anything, it is an automatic also? So just put in drive and go?

Blue, if you are concerned about towing in O/D, it depends more on the road conditions, speed, and temperature. If you are just going to be on a flat road, you shouldn't really have to worry about O/D. If you are going to be towing over hills and mountains, you can use the Autostick option to shift down as needed and completely avoid using the O/D (regulating your speed of course). If it is a really hot day, keep it slow and steady going up any hill, and coming down off of them (depending on the braking function of the trailer). I've pulled a few different weights up to 2400 lbs and my DJ has done great, except for the fact of low gas mileage...but that's to be expected. I have also been lucky enough to have found a weigh station on every tow to assure of the weight I am pulling.

I'm only going roughly 60 miles,  the road is winding, and curvy,  and a few hills, I'm just used to my 2005 explorer that had a o/d button u push for on and off, have never experienced the autostick feature before, so when u talk about the autostick feature where it has the +/- it's very confusing, cuz when I 1st used it it automatically put me in 6th gear, so if I'm going up and down hills, is that when I use the +/- and what gears should I be in on the up and down hills? Just dont what to ruin my transmission 

Use your rpm and temperature gauges as a guide to how hard you are working your vehicle. The transmission temperature gauge in the center readout will allow you to judge the load on your transmission. The rpm and engine coolant gauges will allow you to watch your engine load. It's a little more interactive than a vehicle designed for extensive towing but you will have real-time readout that is very useful for towing within what the Journey is designed for.