Loud bang from rear when turning

AstralRT

Sometimes its a very loud bang and like someone just rammed in the back of the Journey but without the actual inertia of being pushed forward.  If I slowly roll through the turn I can reduce or avoid the bang altogether.

I have had my mechanic comb through the rear end, change differential oil and inspect everything he can see and he was unable to find anything wrong that would cause this.
Also, it just so happened that I left my car at his shop a while before he checked it and he was unable to reproduce the issue, and sure enough it went days without the issue happening and I though the new oil fixed it.  It didn't.

I recently had my transmission flushed from the dealer and now have new fluid and filter and its still causing the problem.  I don't want to play dealer prices to have this diagnosed but I'm at a lose at this point.

My mechanic did say if I can reproduce it he would take a ride with me to understand what is happening.  I really should find time to go see him again.

I would have the rear suspension and subframe bushes checked out for play. Also if 4x4/rwd check the rear diff mount bushes. Is the exhaust maybe hitting the chassis or something?

rossco

Edited by rossco

It is AWD and the rear diff was thoroughly checked.  The dual exhaust seems solid and not doing any excessive movement.

I was thinking about my tires though.  They are pretty bald right now and I'm waiting to get new winters.  Would oddly worn/bald tires affect these AWD systems enough to cause this weird behavior?

• 7 months later...

Hi! I’m having the same problem with the bang as you described, and this is the only info online I have been able to find, even been to 2 shops and nobody sees anything wrong. I also have a 2014 Journey. My tires are all worn different too, Did you replace the tires? Was that what was causing it? If not, did you find out what was? 

Any info you can share would be appreciated, I don’t know where what to do or where to go. 

Could be this Owlgirl:

Possibly the Viscous unit needs replacement if it is an AWD.

Good luck with it.  You can get it done cheaper by a mechanic, but I would buy the part at the dealer if I were you.  You could get a used one at a salvage yard.

I would't buy one on ebay.

Please get back to us to let us know if this reslvled your issue.

Please don't be a one post ghost.

mechanical-idiot

Edited by mechanical-idiot

• 5 weeks later...

That is a normal price for this type of repair.  Five and a half hours for labor is high.  My guy did mine in less than 3 hours.  Your guy must be a bit slow.  Some dealerships like to have their mechanics "busy" ;).

Glad it now works for you.  It is not fun having problems like this, but when you own a vehicle (any vehicle) shit happens.

Best of luck with it.  Keep us posted.

This forum is a free educational institution for the Dodge Journey.  I have learned so much from the people here.  Use it as a source of information as often as you can.

Thank you for your follow up with this topic.  It is so nice to see people report back on what fixed their vehicle, as it ultimately helps other in the long run.

mechanical-idiot

• 4 months later...