Exterior cleaning process

rozwell911

Leaf blower all the way for drying. Best option out there!!!

Not the best. The Metro Vac, Master Blaster is a car dryer that puts out a much stronger jet of air than a leaf blower for drying and that air is filtered too. Bought one a couple months ago and I love it. https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Force_Blaster_Industrial_MB-3IND/overview

If the leaf blower method is leaving water spots on your paint, then it must not be waxed good. If it's got a nice wax coating, the water just flies off leaving a perfectly clear shine.

I just use a cheap $30 electric blower. Never had a problem with dust or anything blowing onto the paint. Not sure how that would happen if the air is clear...

Not the best. The Metro Vac, Master Blaster is a car dryer that puts out a much stronger jet of air than a leaf blower for drying and that air is filtered too. Bought one a couple months ago and I love it. https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Force_Blaster_Industrial_MB-3IND/overview

If I'm just going to use air to blow the water off, I might as well get out my compressor and blow 150 PSI air at the car.

Instead, I use the Meguiar's water magnet towel.

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm just going to use air to blow the water off, I might as well get out my compressor and blow 150 PSI air at the car.

Instead, I use the Meguiar's water magnet towel.

What is that water magnet towel? is there a link online that you can share?

I miss washing/waxing my car (I only do these 1-2 times a month now. :( What I do is just get a soft wet cloth and another soft dry cloth to remove all the dirt. (thats why Im interested in the name "water magnet")

What is that water magnet towel? is there a link online that you can share?

I miss washing/waxing my car (I only do these 1-2 times a month now. :( What I do is just get a soft wet cloth and another soft dry cloth to remove all the dirt. (thats why Im interested in the name "water magnet")

I can't speak specifically to the "water magnet", but any quality microfiber or waffle weave towel will pull water off quite well...

I have a super absorbent one that I purchased at a Mopar

car event 10 yrs ago and it's still like new.

It's a fully synthetic material that has a rubbery texture.

Sold by Emgee/CleanTools Inc. Westmont IL

post-4280-0-30819300-1439469928_thumb.jp

Edited by bigtsr

I have a super absorbent one that I purchased at a Mopar

car event 10 yrs ago and it's still like new.

Sold by Emgee/CleanTools Inc. Westmont IL

I have one of those too... That is a chamois. The waffle weave towels work even a little better than that if you can imagine.

Mike's Car Wash! I can no longer do this. A Bar Code Sticker for The Works Wash costs $44/month and I can go as much as I want. The car is always clean!

Sounds like a recipe for swirl marks and dull paint. I like to wash mine, but I don't have the physical limitations that you do. You should consider a full exterior detail once a year to keep the paint looking good.

Edited by Lobitz68

So you wouldnt have to wash it all the time you should've considered getting the car for nano diamond coating. water just drips down and doesnt even make a mark, harder to have scratches, stronger paint and the best thing is you dont have to wash it most of the time. dirt just comes off with a towel!

Anyway, I'll have a look at those waffle weave towels. I have a leather-like chamois which I bought for like 50 bux. which I don't like at all. ;(

Sounds like a recipe for swirl marks and dull paint. I like to wash mine, but I don't have the physical limitations that you do. You should consider a full exterior detail once a year to keep the paint looking good.

No swirling marks because no swirling brushes.

I use the waffle-weave towels. Meguiar's water magnet is a waffle-weave. I get it at Meijer here in the midwest/great lakes region. I don't think Advance sells it anymore. Very good towel.

I've considered getting an electric leaf blower, however with how dusty my driveway gets I'd just be blowing dirt right back on the car. Important thing with towels is to wipe in one direction. Never in a circular motion, as that induces swirls and makes more work for you to polish them out. Even worse for gloss black cars.

• 6 months later...

I used 3 clay bars on journey after a crosscounrty trip to make sure I got everything off and it came out pretty spiffy. My arms were killing me the next day after all the workout but it was worth the effort. The trick is to have your significant other or one of your kids spray the car as you run the bar through the entire car so that the solution doesn't dry on you. Then both of you can rinse off the residue and dry the car so its nice and clean with no streaks before you wax and buff it.

• 3 years later...

I usually also really follow the steps you mentioned but want to make my car little shiny and protected so might try PPF but still saving for it. Another tip I can contribute is (do thing if you are just so OC) I put small amount of cotton on a toothpick and us that to clean the edges of doors/windows. It would get the dirt even in the smallest holes/ 

• 4 years later...