Looking for 3 Row SUV

onecrazyfoo4u

Wanted to get everyone's opinion.  I'm hunting for our next SUV kid hauler.  It has to have 3 rows and 4wd or awd for the snow.  I have 3 kids, 7, 5, and 2.  So I would need to fit all three car seats and boosters in the second row preferably.  Third row is for when we have visitors and will be folded down majority of the time.  

We've had a Dodge journey for the last five years and it's been great.  Just want something bigger and not 2wd.  I think we've narrowed it down to four options.  Budget is $30k max, and no more than 2-3 years old.  Trying to decide between a Tahoe, Ford Explorer, Dodge Journey, and Honda Pilot.  

What would you all get for a kid hauler?  Do you guys know of any problems with any of these vehicles from the last couple years?  They all seem to be rated pretty well.  The Tahoe's are priced quite a bit more than the other three for some reason.  How well do the Durango's rate compared to the Journey?  We don't need an SUV as huge as the suburbans or expeditions.  Thanks for any help!

Well my opinion is this.  the Dodge Journey is a good economical SUV that provides lots of options, awd and 3rd row seating are your main points.  But with that said, even with the larger size, its still kind of small but def the best price point for the options that are important to you.  If you don't have a Dodge journey already, then let me tell you its a nice all around vehicle.  With the v6, it's got plenty of power but a little thirsty in town.  The Durango's I'd say are Dodges premier SUV and if size matters thats an excellent choice but it's going to cost you more.  Having a little more upscale feel, the durango would meet your requirements and still for a decent price in the v6 version.  The Tahoe is def. the biggest and doesn't come in a v6 version, but will offer you all the room you need along with extra cargo space the others you've pointed out won't have. Size wise, smallest to biggest would be the journey, pilot, durango, explorer, then tahoe.  Although the honda is a good vehicle, it's probably going to cost the most simply because it's honda.  As far as space, we have friends with one and I personally wouldn't buy it.  Just not a fan of the SUV altogether has about the same cargo space as the Journey which price wise is alot less.  The Explorer maybe a good option as well, lots of features, but that comes at a price too.  I'd say its on par with the Tahoe.

All of them would serve you, but If it was my money, and it needed to be economical, I'd do the Journey (and did), if money wasn't an object, I'd probably do the Durango over the explorer just because I'm not a big fan of Ford. Personal choice.  And while the tahoe is nice and I am a chevy fan, gas mileage would be an issue, and the honda just isn't my cup of tea.  You would have to drive them all so you make the best decision based on your needs and price.  I wouldn't even talk price, I'd drive them first, then eliminate the ones you know you don't want, then look for the price you need.

Good luck and report back what you purchase.

With the exception of the Tahoe, I think all of the other three would be a good option. The Ford may not have as much room as you'd tink ( both the wife and my father in law have 2015 Explorers). You know what the DJ is like. The Honda should fit the bill as well, it does have a decent amount of room/storage.

2 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

Well my opinion is this.  the Dodge Journey is a good economical SUV that provides lots of options, awd and 3rd row seating are your main points.  But with that said, even with the larger size, its still kind of small but def the best price point for the options that are important to you.  If you don't have a Dodge journey already, then let me tell you its a nice all around vehicle.  With the v6, it's got plenty of power but a little thirsty in town.  The Durango's I'd say are Dodges premier SUV and if size matters thats an excellent choice but it's going to cost you more.  Having a little more upscale feel, the durango would meet your requirements and still for a decent price in the v6 version.  The Tahoe is def. the biggest and doesn't come in a v6 version, but will offer you all the room you need along with extra cargo space the others you've pointed out won't have. Size wise, smallest to biggest would be the journey, pilot, durango, explorer, then tahoe.  Although the honda is a good vehicle, it's probably going to cost the most simply because it's honda.  As far as space, we have friends with one and I personally wouldn't buy it.  Just not a fan of the SUV altogether has about the same cargo space as the Journey which price wise is alot less.  The Explorer maybe a good option as well, lots of features, but that comes at a price too.  I'd say its on par with the Tahoe.

All of them would serve you, but If it was my money, and it needed to be economical, I'd do the Journey (and did), if money wasn't an object, I'd probably do the Durango over the explorer just because I'm not a big fan of Ford. Personal choice.  And while the tahoe is nice and I am a chevy fan, gas mileage would be an issue, and the honda just isn't my cup of tea.  You would have to drive them all so you make the best decision based on your needs and price.  I wouldn't even talk price, I'd drive them first, then eliminate the ones you know you don't want, then look for the price you need.

Good luck and report back what you purchase.

Thanks for your inputs!  I've been hesitant of the Honda just cause it appears the same size as our DJ.  We've had a journey for almost 6 years.  Our biggest need is just more space to fit 3 car seats in the second row and more cargo space.  We do a lot of traveling and I'm sick of trying to pack stuff in the back with only one seat down.  Just can't fit 3 car seats in the second row of the DJ.

I've driven the explorers and Tahoe's as rental vehicles.  Like them both alot, very nice vehicles.  I don't get why the Tahoe is like $10k more than the other vehicles though.  Haven't checked out a Durango yet.  Do they have similar issues as the journey?  Problems with crappy brakes, entertainment center issues, etc?  

1 hour ago, jkeaton said:

Do you have an aversion to GM? The Buick Enclave/GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse are all capable 3 row seating AWD vehicles. We love our Enclave.

Our big goal is something bigger than the journey.  Those three are all the same size.  We've checked them out.  I really like the Acadia, but too small.  And the second row captain seats on the Acadia and traverse suck cause that means one third row seat will need to be up constantly.  Cargo space suffers big-time.

I think the Tahoe may also be overkill, the gas mileage along with the higher price tag would probably be a bigger financial blow than all of the other vehicles. The pilot is nice, and a great size but if you're used to the Journey and enjoy how it drives then you may not like the pilot. I had 2 Hondas before the Journey and they drive very VERY differently, there's nothing bad about how they drive at all it's just an overall different driving experience. The explorers are nice, they can also get kind of pricey but for one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles you'll be able to find one in your price range (just make sure it wasn't a rental). The Durangos are actually a pretty great size, I drove one just for kicks and they don't feel very large when you're driving and compared to the DJ they have a lot more space. Dealers are also offering quite a few incentives on them. The DJ of course is the most narrow of the options which is probably why you are having a space issue in the first place so I'd probably scratch that off the list. It is the cheapest option, but the kids are only going to get bigger, which means the DJ will only get smaller!

50 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

I think the Tahoe may also be overkill, the gas mileage along with the higher price tag would probably be a bigger financial blow than all of the other vehicles. The pilot is nice, and a great size but if you're used to the Journey and enjoy how it drives then you may not like the pilot. I had 2 Hondas before the Journey and they drive very VERY differently, there's nothing bad about how they drive at all it's just an overall different driving experience. The explorers are nice, they can also get kind of pricey but for one that doesn't have all the bells and whistles you'll be able to find one in your price range (just make sure it wasn't a rental). The Durangos are actually a pretty great size, I drove one just for kicks and they don't feel very large when you're driving and compared to the DJ they have a lot more space. Dealers are also offering quite a few incentives on them. The DJ of course is the most narrow of the options which is probably why you are having a space issue in the first place so I'd probably scratch that off the list. It is the cheapest option, but the kids are only going to get bigger, which means the DJ will only get smaller!

Thanks for your input.  The Durango is looking enticing.  The whole reason we got a DJ, great bang for the buck value.  And they just came out with the Durango SRT.  Might by double my budget though :).  Now I need to go drive all 4 to compare.

11 hours ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Our big goal is something bigger than the journey.  Those three are all the same size.  We've checked them out.  I really like the Acadia, but too small.  And the second row captain seats on the Acadia and traverse suck cause that means one third row seat will need to be up constantly.  Cargo space suffers big-time.

OK, a little input from a guy with 'four' kids that has owned both a van and a couple of SUV's. As far as cargo room is concerned (mostly on trips), I finally figured out it's best to use the roof rack with some sort of cargo box if I want any kind of comfort in the car. We used to fill every hole we could find, including the leg area in the 2nd and 3rd rows, and it wasn't very comfortable. We have taken short trips and very long trips, and ultimately I put the cargo box on with any trip with all of the kids. I have the X-Cargo sold at Sears. Much more reasonable than Thule and better quality than most of the other ones out there.

As far as price, I really don't think you will beat the price of a DJ, unless you buy something with a lot of miles already on it. If you do want something bigger (or more comfortable for the long trips) while staying within your budget, I think the Durango is a good option. Tahoe is pricier and not as economical, and Explorer is just pricier from what I saw when I was in the market to purchase. I don't mention the Pilot because i just don't like them. 

My kids are now older than yours, so loading into the third row is much easier, but the DJ and Durango seem to be the most comfortable. The Explorer is a little tight for the price you pay and the Tahoe is roomy, but not much leg room. Anyway, that's my piece of advise...mini vans are also out for us...and believe it or not (no need to comment guys) my wife is dying to get a Range Rover for her next SUV...OUCH!

10 minutes ago, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Does anyone know what year Durango's are the best or worst?  When we're the new generation changes?  Or is there a website that tells about the changes with each year?

Here's the site I used when looking at Durango's. Goes through every year.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Dodge/Durango

So we checked out some explorers and pilots and instantly ruled both of those out.  The explorers are nice, but definitely not much bigger than a Journey.  The Pilots felt like I was stepping into a 90's car inside...with a touchscreen.  They are so outdated inside.  At least the updated the exterior to look better, but I don't understand why so many people love them.

We've narrowed it down to the Durango, Tahoe, Traverse, or Acadia.  The Durango GT would be perfect if it was just a tiny bit wider.  The carseats fit, but just barely (only 3" wider than the Journey inside).  The Traverse and Acadia are nice and a little bit wider than the Durango.  But they aren't tricked out as nicely as the Durango GT's are.  The Tahoe is plenty big enough, but the third row seats suck and are practically useless.  But I could tow my camper with it and sell my truck.

Does anyone have experience with the Durango R/T V8?  Seems like an awesome vehicle with 7200lb towing capacity.  Has anyone ever towed near that limit with the Durango?  My camper is 7000 lb loaded.  I currently tow with an 05 GMC 1/2 ton.

Man, decisions are hard!

• 1 month later...

Anybody ever see a stretched Journey (like a stretch limo)?  A friend told me that he saw one in Western Canada.  I have not seen one myself, but would love to see it.  If you have any photos, send them in please!

Oh, your wife might like a school bus.  It can haul lots of rug rats!

On 1/3/2018 at 11:49 AM, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Wife is deathly against minivans!  We've tested out a couple and she hates them to death!

about 10 yrs my sons wife said the same thing about minvans but 3 kids later she is now a minvan soccor mom alot more room in a van then the journeys.....

On 1/9/2018 at 7:28 AM, onecrazyfoo4u said:

So we checked out some explorers and pilots and instantly ruled both of those out.  The explorers are nice, but definitely not much bigger than a Journey.  The Pilots felt like I was stepping into a 90's car inside...with a touchscreen.  They are so outdated inside.  At least the updated the exterior to look better, but I don't understand why so many people love them.

We've narrowed it down to the Durango, Tahoe, Traverse, or Acadia.  The Durango GT would be perfect if it was just a tiny bit wider.  The carseats fit, but just barely (only 3" wider than the Journey inside).  The Traverse and Acadia are nice and a little bit wider than the Durango.  But they aren't tricked out as nicely as the Durango GT's are.  The Tahoe is plenty big enough, but the third row seats suck and are practically useless.  But I could tow my camper with it and sell my truck.

Does anyone have experience with the Durango R/T V8?  Seems like an awesome vehicle with 7200lb towing capacity.  Has anyone ever towed near that limit with the Durango?  My camper is 7000 lb loaded.  I currently tow with an 05 GMC 1/2 ton.

Man, decisions are hard!

I would advise reading all of the info on the Durango site (http://www.dodgedurango.net/) to get a feel of your situation. My brother has a Durango and we have towed about 5500lbs, and it felt pretty good. The same trailer was previously pulled by a Suburban, which was really smooth, but the Durango actually impressed me. If I didn't buy the DJ I was looking at a Durango. The price difference made the final decision for me at the time. The Durango I really wanted would of cost me over $50K, while the DJ I went with was under $20K...big difference.

In any case, from all of the choices you listed, the Durango would be my vote.