2016 RT Trailer Light Software Issue

t6788j1

Purchased a 2016 RT with trailer tow package two weeks ago. Installed hitch this past Monday and added factory supplied pig tail. Tried to use lights on Tuesday, 4 pin plug dead. Researched on this forum and found sales codes needed to be entered and activated. Took vehicle back to dealer in Warren, MI yesterday. They indicated they never heard of such a thing. After they finally attempted to enter the sales codes and activate, they have stated there is a corporate software bug. Dealer states CTC working on it. I work for Chrysler and find it hard to believe I am the first person to purchase a vehicle that has been in production for the last 8 months to try the trailer lights. Waiting on dealer to provide details on who is working on it at CTC. Vehicle has been at the dealer two days now, with no ETA. Very confused.

Entering 2nd week of vehicle at dealer. Dodge Customer Service, no help. Reached out to CTC vehicle engineer. I am waiting for his response. I work in stamping and have stamping senior manager helping sort out the maze, don't want to post what I really think! I definitely believe there is an issue at the dealer level. I do know there is a STAR ticket in the system. Once I have tangible information to share, I will post.

That's insane that they've had your Journey for two weeks, just to get the trailer lights to work. Perhaps something was missed on the assembly line?

I would be extremely unhappy if I had just purchased a brand new car, and it had to go back to the dealer for two weeks, let alone more than one day!

Vehicle has been there since 3/29. Purchased on 3/11. Big mystery at this point. Going to probably start legal process for them to take vehicle back and return down payment. It is becoming obvious to me, vehicle is incapable of delivering on what it was sold as.

The vehicle is most likely fine. The dealer? That's another story . . . . why not get your DJ back and take it to another shop where they know what they're doing? Besides, why do they need to keep it anyway?

As an aside, note that it is not 'trailer towing package', but rather a towing PREP package, which ensures that the oil cooler, vehicle harness connector and cable set are all in place when the vehicle leaves the factory. The sales code apparently enables the harness AND the anti-sway software.

Edited by bramfrank

I will not take the vehicle back from the selling dealer until it is properly working. If they cant make it work, and Mopar/FCA allow it to sit there much longer, they can have it back. I should not have to run the vehicle around town to find a qualified dealer. That is what Mopar and FCA's responsibilities are. I have contacted customer care, and the dealer has a STAR ticket in through Mopar.

I will not take the vehicle back from the selling dealer until it is properly working. If they cant make it work, and Mopar/FCA allow it to sit there much longer, they can have it back. I should not have to run the vehicle around town to find a qualified dealer. That is what Mopar and FCA's responsibilities are. I have contacted customer care, and the dealer has a STAR ticket in through Mopar.

Good luck!

Good man. That is what I would do too. Let someone else touch it, and something goes wrong, it becomes a he said/she said type of affair. In a society where everyone wants to sue for silly liability claims, you are doing the right thing. If the selling Dealer can't make it right, you need to have your $ returned, or given a compatible vehicle; equal to or better than the one sitting at the Dealer.

There was a thread here a couple of years ago where the customer returned the vehicle to the dealership to have a feature enabled and they weren't able to do it because of a VIN issue that prevented a vehicle reconfiguration. It was resolved in a couple of days, though. STAR was involved and the lead technician at the dealership posted his findings here so we could understand both his and the customer's sides. I also work for a dealer. Wish I could view your STAR case to offer my thoughts FWIW. If you would like to post the last eight digits of your VIN I can see which sales code they added. Not sure if that will help but willing to give it a look for you.

Received a call late last night from the dealer. Not sure what there is that is tangible from it - I am skeptical of anything they tell me as they have already been caught providing misleading information. None the less, they have the vehicle configured correctly. From what I can filter out, they originally configured the vehicle for the 7 pin trailer tow hook up instead of the 4 pin flat. Confused as to why there would even be a configuration for a 7 pin when the capacity of the vehicle is 2500 lbs and dramatically reduces as passengers are added to the vehicle. Not sure how much MOPAR or my associates at CTC contributed to the dealer finding the error in his ways, but I want to thank the community and my associates at MOPAR and CTC. I will be picking up the vehicle with DVM in hand tonight and hopefully, no surprises.

Well, hopefully this will take care of it for you. You mentioned stamping.. I'm assuming Warren or Sterling, but it really doesn't matter. Pretty sad when you have to get all the big guns involved to solve what should have been a very simple procedure. If you keep the DJ, and I hope you do, they are great cars, don't go back to the Larry,Moe, and Curly show you took it to this time if you have any future issues. Dealer incompetence has cost this company dearly.

Sounds like the wron sales code(s) added but that seems too simple to me. Adding and removing sales codes and reconfiguring a vehicle is done in a matter of minutes, not hours let alone days or weeks. I hope it's resolved. Enjoy the car once you get it back. They are wonderful vehicles that are truly underrated. To hell with Consumer Reports!!