Rear Wiper Coverage

My rear wiper is losing contact with the window from the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position at the top 2-3" of the blade. This started after changing the wiper blade. I used a OEM blade from Chrysler but ended up switching to a shorter blade because the area that was being left uncleaned was just driving me nuts. The attached picture is with the shorter blade. As you can see it's still losing contact at the top position but not nearly as bad as the proper sized blade.

I have checked the arm, spring, blade etc. and everything looks good. Any ideas before I ask the dealership?

post-5693-0-95801200-1452802407_thumb.jp

Edited by lytefall

If you go to your Dealer, they may tell you to use their blade, and the the arm is bent. More than likely the wiper got caught going through a car wash. The local car wash here used to put a plastic bag over the rear wiper blade to protect it from getting caught in the cleaning strips. They have changed something because they no longer put a bag on the blade.

I would suggest a silicone-based lubricant, not WD-40. I had the same problem on my T&C rear wiper blade about a 18 months ago. I sprayed a silicone lubricant on it and haven't had to deal with it since.

Make sure you put some rags around the hinge and spring before you spray - you want to minimize the stuff from getting on the glass and paint just so you can avoid cleaning it up later.

If you go to your Dealer, they may tell you to use their blade, and the the arm is bent. More than likely the wiper got caught going through a car wash. The local car wash here used to put a plastic bag over the rear wiper blade to protect it from getting caught in the cleaning strips. They have changed something because they no longer put a bag on the blade.

The OEM blade I was referring to was purchased at the dealer. And I never use mechanical car washes. Closest I come, if it isn't by hand in my driveway is a wash bay where you pay and use the brush.

The OEM blade I was referring to was purchased at the dealer. And I never use mechanical car washes. Closest I come, if it isn't by hand in my driveway is a wash bay where you pay and use the brush.

Sorry for going off topic, but please never use the brush from a car wash. Those things will ruin your paint.

Sorry for going off topic, but please never use the brush from a car wash. Those things will ruin your paint.

I hear ya. Unfortunately I don't have much choice in the winter. I will hand wash it when it's cold out but there are some times that the wash brush is a necessary evi due to temps. There's only a few mechanical car washes in the city I live in and they are all well known for leaving damage behind. The wash brush is the lesser of the two evils.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

had to replace my front wipers went with bosh icons , they are great. replaced the rear wiper with duralast from auto zone and had to return it as it was crap when wiping it doesn't touch the glass on the top when wiping,going with some tricos wiper as advance auto had to get them from a different store hope they work better, will report later on how they work. not much choice on these rear wipers as they look like a one wiper fits anything... might have to go with the dealership, and theirs takes a week to get and cost $18. for one.

well got a trico wiper for the rear window no better then the duralast wiper, rain x didnt have none for the rear wiper,oh well should have saved the factory wiper as it wiped all the way up a person could slip the old rubber blade out and slid in a new one would be a bit tricky but could be done..

I used aftermarket for my rear blade with no issues what so ever. Seeing you have tried several different brands with the same result, perhaps the arm is bent. Could be easy enough to do if your original blad was tuff to get off. Might want to check to makes sure its not pulling away from the window....

well the old blade was working just fine but the rubber was tearing, the arm is made of thick plastic all the way down to the bearing that bolts on to the motor stub and i was the one to replace it so i knew how to remove the blade without using any force.just dont know,but its no big deal and yes the rubber blade does lift off when it reaches the top of the rear glass, used my heat gun to soften the plastic to try to bend it in a little but was afraid of breaking the arm and it started to change the color of the plastic so i quit messing with it as i dont want to have to buy a whole new arm from the dealership as that probable be some $$$ oh well it works okay....