Barbera's Autoland in Philly

Not a lemon, I just requested some service and they gave me the run around. First it was with the DRL and them telling me it wasn't possible. Next, it was with the door sill scuff guards (part #82213523). Moparownerconnect lists them as standard equipment for my VIN# but they insist I shouldn't have them.

You'd think after buying two cars in 5 months they would be willing to please the customer.

Edited by priell3

i used to buy all vehicles from the local dodge dealer in decatur al which is the closest one about 10 miles, then they closed and reopened and the new owners are a bunch of idiots so i give all business to cullman dodge dealership which is 15-20 ,miles away but they take real good care of me so far bought my last 3 dodges from them. so sometimes you have to travel a little farther to get the service you want.

Sales, parts, and service all different departments run by different people, so experiences will be different, all in the same building.

I bought my Journey at Southfield Dodge, closest to my house, and the sales staff were "okay". They tried to pull some tricks on me to lower my trade value and I wasn't having it. Then our other Journey needed a new wheel speed sensor, and it took their service department a week to find the problem and fix it, and it was nearly impossible to get them to talk to us while they had the car without getting in their faces about it. That wasn't a weeks worth of diagnosis. That was a weeks worth of the car sitting in their service lot untouched. They were not busy.

Suburban Chrysler in Troy is generally better for both sales and service. That's where I go for service now, though they outsource their scheduling department to an outside company, so when we show up for an appointment they almost never are prepared since they aren't expecting us. It was fine when I needed a washer fluid sensor, but getting the remote start and rock guards installed on the blacktop was irritating when an appointment was set, and the guy doing the installation had already left for the day. Had to leave it overnight.

My next purchase, if it is new, will likely be from Szott M-59. They're about 40 minutes away, 15-20 miles. The local mopar enthusiast group is in love with that dealer, and that dealer is a sponsor to the group, so a good deal is possible. Has to be, with all the members who have bought brand new Dodges and Jeeps (including AEV Wranglers) from them. Their service also gets glowing reviews, but it's a bit far to go for an oil change. Thankfully oil changes and tire rotations are handled by fastlanes now, so I don't need an appointment. Just 30 minutes to an hour depending on their customer volume that day.

Glenbrook DCJR, Fort Wayne, IN. Been a happy customer for over 20 years. Initially, they were only a Dodge Dealer. During the dealer shut downs, a local CP and Dodge dealer went up for sale because the owner was moving to CA. Glenbrook bought the CP dealer and added Jeep. The other Dodge dealer had his franchise eliminated; now they only sell BMW's, and is still owned by the guy who went to CA.

As for experience with Philly area dealers... I've used Reedman Toll (near Levittown), Fred Beans (Doylestown), Bergey's (Franconia). Berey's is probably out of your way... sales was obstinate when I bought my Special (had to buy from them since it was used and very hard to find in that condition) and their service wanted me to buy a new transaxle on that car in 2011. I had it rebuilt last year. Not sure I would go back.

Reedman Toll repair one of my screw ups on that car. Costly, but the service was VERY personable and easy to work with. The service advisor I spoke with had worked there at least as long as when my M was made and remembered the Specials being recalled because dealers were forgetting to remove the spring blocks from the front suspension before delivery.

Fred Beans I only used as a parts source for rebuilding the car after the accident. They had some parts unique to the car that were hard to come by, but it was my body shop that dealt with them and not me.

• 3 years later...

I purchased my 2016 at Lafontaine in Fenton, MI two years ago. The sales experience was lackluster, to say the least. The people were very nice and always tried their best but the system tended to let them, and me, down. There were numerous occasions where the ball was dropped and I had to come back the next day.

Once I had the vehicle, I began to use their service department. Again, the experience was lackluster. There was more effort put into upselling "recommended" services than just taking care of the issues. The last service visit was for a warranty repair. While waiting for the part and a loaner vehicle to become available I was encouraged to get the "recommended" service 6 times via email, letters, and phone. A year and a half later, I'm still waiting on the warranty part and loaner.

After that experience, I took the Journey to Al Deeby in Clarkston, MI. I was in and out in 1.5 hours with diagnostic and repair complete. No hassles, no upsell. I have used them for routine service since with absolutely no problems. They take care of the scheduled service and never push for a "recommended" upcharge. I am very happy with the service department so far and will continue to use them until that changes. It's all about the trust.